Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Extruding letters to follow surface

Programinator

Shawn,

Very similar to my specialty and side business, if you iges it out all geometry and email it to me I can do it in solidworks in about 20 seconds if the chains are good. in MCAM its a more tedious task form memory I would cut the letters deeper than needed before that I would create surfs from solid top surf move it down letter depth, then cut the letters deeper than that surface, it will appear as you want, however do not forget to selct the surf as well as solid when you machine it. sorry for sounding confusing but my mind races

What I would do it make the letters as solids. I would then make a offset of the chain used to make the surface. If you do not have one do a solid slice then make the chain offset it and then use it to cut the bottom of the letters to keep them all at the same depth. Then do a Boolean remove of the letters from the solid and you have letter that have the same depth of that shape. You can do the same for irregular shapes. Unless the letter are EDM sinker then the square corner become a problem. So most time I create the fillets on the letter before Boolean removing them from the solid body. The other way sometimes cause problems.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

For letters sticking out fromthe surface I would extrude the letters as solids, create a surface from solids of the face, boolean add the the solids, solid trim the letters and go like that. If you ned the letters' walls perpendicuar to the surface of the shape, I'd use draft surfaces and chain the projected letters.

JM2C

Do a 2-D pocket of the letters. You will get a nice uniform path, with a finish contour all the way around the letters.

Project the path down on the surf and set your tool deeper than it needs to be to cut the letters.

Be sure to use a higher retract than normal, so when you go from letter to letter, you wont crash.....

quote:

project on a surface?

Most definately...unroll your surf and then you can scale the geometry and make sure it will fit right..

Then do an axis sub...

That path would be just like the rings I engrave...I use a homemade o-ring driven attachment for engraving on the inside of the ring....the cutter is a .005 dia 2 flute endmill.

video1

video2

I have found that projecting a 2-d pocket works best for me for stuff like that then verify it with your multi axis verify wink.gif

create letters above your solid

create solids from your letters so that they

project down into the original solid

boolean remove the bottom of the letters

using the original solid - the bottom of the

letters solids will now match the contour of

your original solid - transform the letters

down into your original solid by the depth wanted

then boolean reomve the letters from the original