Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolroom Mill

Mick

Our toolroom is in need of a new mill. We need a manual mill (with readouts), not a CNC (we have several CNC's in the rest of the shop if necessary. This is to do one offs, plus tool repairs etc. Mainly working with steels etc.

Since our toolroom manager has been out of the game for quite some time, we need to know what are some good brands of manual mills out there?

Any feedback would be appreciated smile.gif

Is there anything but a Bridgeport? (my last new one I bought) Seiki looks good for an import...Manual toolmaking machines are so cheap at auctions (USA) at this point... if money is an issue I would buy a good used one. I saw a harig surface grinder sell for $250 yeaterday at an auction, was not there to watch Mills sell (went to buy a Roto-grind table and got it cheap) 2ea. optical comparators sold for 100 to 150 dollars (14" sher-tomica) eek.gif

Look into an EZ-Trak. This is a Bridgeport with a 2 axis XY CNC and a manual quill.

If you really are stuck on getting a Manual mill with a DRO, then look a bridgeport style machine. I really like the acutal Bridgeport machines, but you can also find a lot of different imports or machines at auction as mentioned above.

Kevin, did you say $150 for a 14" Optical Comparator??? Man I wish I could have been there. I would have pounced on that in a heartbeat... I need to get myself to an auction one of these days.

quote:

Kevin, did you say $150 for a 14" Optical Comparator???

Yup...pretty sobering; owner told me he was tired of being the first one in and the last one out for the last 20 years. ( what I have found at auctions is: there is no such thing as too low a price...and it only takes one other intrested party to run the price up BUT if he is not there items can sell rediculously cheap. Throw out old prices from 12 years ago...I bought a 14" Kodak with 10X 20X 50X 100X lenses and surface illumination for $265 at a different auction (weighs 1000 lbs)...I paid $1,000 for a small used 12"Delltronics 12 years ago (250lbs?)and felt lucky to get it back then rolleyes.gif (prices are very low right now)