Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1

Thee Rickster ™

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

JB may have personally attacked some of the helpful gentlemen on this forum, which of course is stupid, but,
he does have some insight and certainly is aware of the CAM market and competition. Totally disregarding his comments and suggestions to the CAM market, IMHO, is idiotic.

Sorry, peon, but I'm starting to think that you're an idiot.

Thad

[ 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]

A little late in the thread but I had my reseller out today to evaluate our problems. Those being stability, SOLIDS (and all things associated), and numerous little quirks that are killing productivity. According to my reseller, the parameter delay has never been brought to their attention. Not sure about anyone else, but wasting 5 seconds to access parameters is not acceptable in a software package like this.

Long story short, talk to the resellers. They don't necessarily monitor the forums (which has become a b*%ch fest lately). They are a much more powerful voice... This place used to be about knowledge, not disappointment.

Thad, seems you take things waaaayyyy too personally when JB's name is mentioned!!! Didn't JB get banned from this forum for making personal attacks on members? I have gained alot of knowledge on this forum and in return, have contributed. I receive phone calls and emails from users often and I'm very happy to help. I also advise these users to monitor this forum, as it is a wonderful tool and will help them accel in their career of programming. But, I am certainly not BLIND to the competitors products or the ideas of experienced professionals in our venue. I keep an open mind and have my opinions. As far as JB goes, I never met the guy, so I can't honestly voice my true opinion on the man's personal life. But objectively, he has many valid points that the CAM market should consider. Don't pay attention to his opinions, but read the facts!

Peon, you know not of what you speak. Period. I don't know JB personally, nor have I ever met him in person (the lucky bastid).

But I have been personally attacked by him in his blogs, Usenet, and other forums. Only because I was an active poster here.

He is a waste of human breath. He has nothing intelligent to say, and knows very little about CAD CAM, regardless of the puke he blogs.

He does not know facts, only sales points he plagiarizes.

You want to defend him? go right ahead.....

Now that an understanding of what the situation is has been reached by some, is there any chance that an in depth discussion can be started on improving drilling, keeping track of what stock has been cut and showing it in the Machining Operations Manager when it's clicked on, what areas of Solids need to be improved first, what's still needed in Levels, smarter selection tools, faster and easier plane creation, improvements to wireframe, improvements to backplotting, a better way to do toolpath editing, needed improvements to the Machining Operation Manager and other basics?

I'm no computer wizz, by any means. However, I do not consider myself a moron. I would like to think that I have become a pretty decent self-taught programmer, with much help from this forum. I have struggled to understand and modify/edit posts, MD's, and CD's to work with my machines. It takes much time, even with sample files and tutorials. It appears that Mastercam is intent on continuing to make their software more "user friendly" by making it much more complex.

I'm not a computer programmer, but updating to newer releases almost requires you to be. I finally get posts tweaked and a new version comes out. banghead.gif Great! Just updated some posts and looked at the "advice" on it. I don't even understand half that crap. Post parameter reference, it may as well be written in Japanese (I can't read Japanese). headscratch.gif Does Mastercam assume that CNC programmer means "Computer 'N' Control Programmer"?

When it works, it's great. When it doesn't, you are screwed, screwed, screwed. Yeah, send it to QC, call your reseller, blah, blah, blah..... We're usually talking days when the job needs done TODAY! I usually don't bother, I just deal with it. The problems I have are already on the forum and still not fixed by Mastercam. Why waste my time?

I'm about ready to drop maint. too. Why pay more money to be allowed to install bugs and problems. By the time I find a way around all the BS, a newer version of BS is out. Don't get me wrong, I love it, for the most part. It just seems we're going backwards. The love hate relationship most users have can slowly progress into just hate, if Mastercam doesn't take a break from "new" and just focus on fixing the bugs. Being top dog leaves companies arrogant and leads to customer neglect. There's usually always someone who pops up to take over.

I'm still trying to get a payed for, 5-axis post working and it's been almost a year of headaches. I am still getting alarms at the control because the post is outputting codes that don't even exist for the control. You think I can't tell I paid $3,000 for someone elses post you just threw my companie's name on? curse.giffirebounce.gif

Give and take, learning curve, growing pains......

Whatever, when you pay for a service and the service starts ignoring customers, someone will fill the gap.

I just hope Mastercam listens to us. We like the product. We just want less problems using it instead of new toolpaths, for now.

I don't want a car that runs like crap just because you put shiny new Wal-Mart hubcaps on it. I want the engine fixed.

quote:

Now that an understanding of what the situation is has been reached by some, is there any chance that an in depth discussion can be started on improving drilling, keeping track of what stock has been cut and showing it in the Machining Operations Manager when it's clicked on, what areas of Solids need to be improved first, what's still needed in Levels, smarter selection tools, faster and easier plane creation, improvements to wireframe, improvements to backplotting, a better way to do toolpath editing, needed improvements to the Machining Operation Manager and other basics?

you expect all this in the next release, don't you?

"WHY??????"

Because pop-up dialog boxes aren't the way to go. They obsure the part model and constantly have to be dragged and moved. I like the idea of centeralized control in a CADCAM application which doesn't obsure the part model.

quote:

Have you tried X4? Dynamic plane creation is about as fast and easy as it gets.

Seriously? I rate the new Dynamic Planes and Dynamic Xform right up there with the new improperly functioning Trim Preview.

Next to useless eye candy for anybody but noobs and marketdroids.

But then, I did manage to figure out how to set planes, transform and trim in Autocad 9 in 1989.

Sheeze, I wonder how that was even possible without all the glitz?

Feh.

quote:

Because pop-up dialog boxes aren't the way to go. They obsure the part model and constantly have to be dragged and moved. I like the idea of centeralized control in a CADCAM application which doesn't obsure the part model.

Jon, if the pop-up box wasn't there, you'd complain because you can't see enough of the info on a single page.

Don't you remember last month's Jihad, about how great the Solidcam user interface is? How can it be so great Jon? It has more pop up boxes than Mastercam.

"The difference is how much better the interface in SolidCAM is and how much better the CAD and selection tools are because of SolidWorks."-Jon Banquer, Aug 13th

Poor Jonny Press Release, can't even keep his own complaints in order. No wonder you can't remember who you're logged in as, or what you're lying about.