Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rickster, I see that you are on the 32bit XP...you might just want to run 2 gig in there...

I have read many times that XP/32 works better with 2 gig thanit does with 4 gig with almost the same performance...I don't know this for certain first hand cause I never installed over 2 gig lol

Vista and XP 64 will handle up to 128 gigs I think... headscratch.gif

But I am with evil, you really need a super box for the resolution you are trying to achieve on your molds...

Evil, there is NO reason in he!! that I should need to upgrade. I used tight tolerances with other software on way more technical stuff than I get these days and those 3 softwares had no issues.

I won't use more then .0005 with MC unless it is a small file

Mine is fixed. I just opened my 400 meg troublesome file before lunch opened up every level , transformed all the geometry .01 in the z+ to get all dirty paths.

I hit regen all dirty, went out for lunch and

'no crash' and all the files were done and clean. So I closed it did not save and Bob's my Uncle. wink.gifbiggrin.gifcheers.gif

I think the page file change you gave me help even more.

[ 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Rickster ]

quote:

Keith,

I don’t think there should be any difference between solids and surfaces with respect to this problem. I am not so sure about the use of multiple instances, but I can’t really put the blame on that either since I still have not been able to duplicate a crash using the SpacePilot. At this point I am just looking for any clues as to how to duplicate the problem.

Thanks for the additional info.

Regards,

Joe McCollough

Systems Group Manager

This is an email from CNC yesterday

Brand new file, 4cutter paths went smoothly.

Made some changes, repicked my geomerty, for got to

save,

I GOT THE STUPID ERROR AGAIN!!!!!

Lost an hours work and now have absoutely NO CONFIDENCE at all that I will meet this customers deadline because of Mastercam screwing up the deadlines on the last two jobs!!

So I am at a lose ONCE AGAIN!!!

Rick

Rick..

this is a long shot..

Back in X2 beta days I was having

a terrible time with crashes.

I tried everything, but nothing worked.

As a wild long shot I turned off System Restore

and it solved the problem instantly.

I havn't done this for X3 or X4 but its

all I've got left to suggest.

Right click My Computer

Properties

System Restore.

I'd defrag the hard drive after doing this..

but given your deaadline, you probably don't have time for that

Thanks gcode.

I have been on the phone and sharing desktop with inhouse.

The Gentleman could not get it to error out using my file on his machine, right after it we both seen it crash multiple times in a row.

We put his config file on me machine and regenerated the dirty paths and it worked.

He noticed that I had the memory buffer set at

99% and said that it can not be that high, 75%

It still crashed using my config file at 75%.

But now I get to Beta test his.

hey Rickster, check this out...

Since you didn't get an error when you bumped up the size of your pagefile to 6 gig, then I am assuming that your OS has PAE enabled.

quote:

Given the method with which PCI addresses memory beyond 32 bits, there is a failure mode that is subtle. Any I/O range that "spans" across two 4-GB regions must be treated specially. If not, the address range will be correctly decoded for only one part of the transfer and the remaining part will be transposed to an incorrect memory location. This will corrupt memory and will crash the system, crash the application, or silently corrupt data at that location. Applications cannot prevent this because they are only presented virtual addresses and have no visibility to the physical level. All operating systems that use PAE face this problem

Microsoft web page

That is why I kept tellin yas to pull out the 4th GIG..

just in cast one of your drivers(video is highly suspect)is screwing with your hardware's logic..I don't have a clue to as what your problem is, maybe it has nothing to even do with PAE, but I would bet it has to do with your hardware vs 32 bit OS somehow...

Hell when XP was made there was no such thing as a 2 GIG stick of RAM....well no one had one they cost too much..

The first version of XP had a 2 gig limit, annd the code has been rw-written several times...

They finally just went to 64 bit and the rest is history....

I have the same temp file problem with 8gb of ram in Vista Ultimate 64. I did not mess with the paging on my system. We can chase this problem all we want and prolly won't get anywhere. There is obviously something wrong with the software since I have NEVER seen this problem with previous versions of MCAM and it must be corrected soon. I'm sure if CNC had a solution, Rick and a few of us others would have been contacted. CNC does monitor this forum. I prolly sent in over 50 crashes to CNC with no reply. Lately my system has been crashing without the temp file error just by selecting geometry or regenerating a toolpath. When I reopen X4, I repeat the steps exactly as I did when the crash occured, and it works just fine. This is ridiculously unstable. Last night I had selected 52 3D boundaries to machine some ribs on a trode, suddenly it crashed while selecting the wireframe geometry. I reopen X4, and reselect, regen, and finally have a toolpath. What a waste of time!

quote:

All operating systems that use PAE face this problem

64 bit systems still use PAE...

Unless of course you manually turn it off...

I bet if you guys who have 64 bit that have 8 gig installed would turn it off, your problem might go away..but I am not sure Vista uses it... headscratch.gif

32 bit systems have no choice because they must use the pagefile, They just don't have enough RAM..

Ya Vista uses PAE..I checked..

So I have harped on this issue long enough and I believe I have found the culprit...

It is the PCI drivers fault, not Mastercams...most likely the video...

I am outa here... wink.gif

quote:

Since you didn't get an error when you bumped up the size of your pagefile to 6 gig, then I am assuming that your OS has PAE enabled

What are you talking about?

It started crashing 2 paths after and just as often. Page file and error opening temp folder

are TWO different issues.

like every thing I try it only works for a while.

Why WONT it happen in X3????????

I am using the same software,Mastercam, remember?

quote:

It is the PCI drivers fault, not Mastercams...most likely the video...

Interesting.. who's running Quadro video cards..

and who's running GeForce??

Are Quadro guys getting these crashes ??

Only Geoforce guys??

both???

I don't know.. just looking for common theads

I do know we've got 5 Quadro machines at work and

I've got one at home and I don't have this problem..

Peon's siggy says he's running a GeoForce..

I don't know what Rick runs..

It could be nothing too. Rick and Peon do more surfacing toolpaths in one morning than I do in a week.

I did do some pretty extesive rest roughing with stl stock in a 3+2 5 axis environement a couple of weeks ago with zero crashs.

A co worker just finished some wicked 5 axis parts.. mostly advanced 5X toolpaths..

He had a couple of crashes till he tweaked his memory settings and solved the problem.

Maybe this is all as simple as the difference between GeForce and Quadro video drivers.. headscratch.gif

Quadro here. I do 99.9% HST from solids. I know several of you have told me NOT to use solids, but it seems they are still having the same problems using surfaces.

I had a pretty good day yesterday (only 3 crashes) and I'm working on a complex assembly with 37 parts in it and I already have over 20 WCS and only on the 5th part out of 37. Should I break it down and have 37 different MCX files?? maybe I should, but I like to keep all my stuff together.

If I keep having issues with it I might break it down, but I have done this in the past so WHY CAN'T I DO IT WITH X4 MU1??

Just between Me, Rickster & peon MC has cost a lot of down time. No telling how many customers are having this issue that WE don't know about.

It's taking a toll on my mental state cuckoo.gif

I use a Quadro FX 1500 card.

I updated the driver from the link that was suggested

in one of the reply's I got from a crash report.

way back when it started erroring out, and that did

not make a difference.

Right now I am using Someones config file from

In-House and I only have had two crashes and have

gotten through alot of paths and an E.C.

I turn the memory buffer to 75 %, he said using

99% is a problem

I'll keep ya posted in the success I am having.