Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5-Axis CNC mill needed

sinebar58

The shop I program at is looking into buying a 5-axis Milling machine to do very complex parts. We currently have Mastercam X MR1 SP2. I have never used the multiaxis feartures so I don't know how good they are. Can someone recomend a good 5-axis preferably with it's own software?

Get a Matsuura/Mazak/Hermle/Mikron/Makino/Mori/Mitsui, upgrade to X4, get the Advanced Multiaxis package, buy a post from In House, and call it a day. cheers.gif

Seriously though, you need to give a much more detailed explanation of the type of parts you're making (size, shape, tolerance) and the volumes they are going to be made in for anybody to give a good recommendation.

Seriously though, you need to give a much more detailed explanation of the type of parts you're making (size, shape, tolerance) and the volumes they are going to be made in for anybody to give a good recommendation.

The type of parts I program are prototype parts for chain saws and other yard care products. I make everything from aluminum crankcases to carb adapters from a variety of different materials.

Tolerance are not bad because they are prototypes and anything critical is done on the manual machines. The engineers do like good finish quality and these parts have lot of small pockets that are deep with tiny radii and it's difficult to get small endmills down in those deep pockests and avoid walls. A 5-axis has become a must. As far as shapes go these parts have a lot of sculptured 3D surfaces and are as odd shaped as it gets. They don't lend themselves to simple programming. Hope that helps.

The most inportant part is to get the correct machine spec for the parts that you need to manufacture. I believe that the following are must haves for almost all parts, But hey this is only my opinion

- 7MPA high pressure thru spindle coolant

- Thru spindle air

- 3+2 datum tracking in the control

- RTCP

- High speed cutting function that supports all 5 axis

- Direct drive rotary axis mototrs

- ABSO Scale feedback with rotary Inductosyn

- Dual contact spindles - HSK, Bigplus

- Thermal compenstation

- Verification software that is supported by the machine tool company

Extra's such as pallets, pallet pools and larger tool magazines are really dependant on what you want to cut

I would go with a company that has a local office near you. A company that has Apps guys who can prove they have the ability to cut your parts, to your spec. A company that has service people who can prove that they know there product and that they are attentative to your needs. A company that has links to local CAD/CAM people and who can demonstate that they can work together. A company that you have faith in.

Now I am not trying to scare you here but I believe that these are very important points. You definatly don't want a situaution where you cannot cut a part, and all of these people are standing in a circle pointing to the guy on the right. (LOL - Hey it happens) And you are still paying 10K per month on a lease with no sellable parts to show for it.

If service people, apps guys, CAM and verification people can all work together and can show you history of this then you have found the company to buy a machine tool from and you will not have any issues.

Also remember the golden rule, You get what you pay for

Good luck in your quest.