Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-Task Machining for X5

Guest SAMCRO

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

all the pieces for MTM would be brought together in X5, actual MTM will be released in X6.

so, its like buying a puzzle right? It all come's in one box but up to you to put it together. rolleyes.gif

quote:

The complete package is going to turn the industry on its head!

just like Lathe ? banghead.gif

quote:

so, its like buying a puzzle right? It all come's in one box but up to you to put it together.

No,,, you buy a puzzle that some of the pieces are missing, but you don't find out until the puzzle is almost finished. But wait,, you will get the missing pieces a couple of years down the road....

bonk.gif

I've said it all along since MATSS,,, (remember that??) This should be priority #1 with CNC!!!

Oh,,, but we can buy PartMaker in the meantime.... biggrin.gif

You know, I've been a quiet observer of this site for quite a while now gaining as much information as I can and this is my first response. I've been in the machining business since 1974 and very strong in turning, MTM and Swiss Machines. I can write G-Code turning and milling programs in my head. I'm pretty much self taught with Mastercam and have been using it since 2000. Our company and companies I have worked for in the past have spent tens of thousands of dollars in posts,training and maintenance costs. Still to this day I must self edit every program that is created for a turning center. As the CNC Programming Manager for the company I work for now (4 years now and 13 years before that) it is my fault for not requesting help with post modification but I can only imagine the outragous cost associated with it on top of what we have already paid) I've been told at a training setion 2 years ago that MTM was in development and was to be released soon. I have been waiting patiently since then and have seen next to no improvement with the new releases for turning or MTM. As my Milling Programmer has no problem creating flawless programs with no editing required, for MTM, I fight this all day long even after we paid thousands of dollars for our Doosan MX2500ST post. MASTERCAM - MTM is not rocket sience. It's real simple. I'm sure I can develope my own programming for MTM on an EXCEL spread sheet and have code I don't need to edit. The only problem is I don't have the time and this is what we pay you for!!! For milling, I give you all the credit in the world - excellent job!!! For us MTM guy's - you are failing misurably. Our company does not want to invest thousands of dollars into 2 programming systems and I have been supportive of you but you are starting to make me look like a fool. It's time for you to step up to the plate. If not, let us all know so we can make other decisions to get our work done more efficiently and error free.

MAKE IT SIMPLE !!! MY PATIENCE IS GETTING THIN !!!

I'm sorry for getting mean at the end but this is rediculous.

Guest SAIPEM

What would be truly appreciated is an honest statement from CNC Software about MTM and where it stands.

Considering the many broken promises regarding MTM, it seems only fair that that some kind statement or press release should be made.

The lack of 'official' statements regarding MTM are only alienating loyal and patient customers.

Here's my $.02

The good things added to Mcam since X

HST toolpaths - developed by CIMCO

Advanced 5x - developed by CAIMAX

The bad and/or non-things since X

interface - bugs every release, worst graphics in the industry, don't even get me started on solids/solid selection - developed by Mcam

MTM - non existant - developed by Mcam.

frown.gif

dfehrman,

Great post. I could not agree more. As an 18 year user of Mastercam, the so-called "leader in cam systems" needs to step up to the plate, or even more importantly, fix all the **** that never worked properly from the get-go.

Carmen

@ dfehrman

excellent first post cheers.gif

quote:

As my Milling Programmer has no problem creating flawless programs with no editing required, for MTM, I fight this all day long

Yep, i fight this all day long also.

Makes for a fun work day, doesn't it?

quote:

For milling, I give you all the credit in the world - excellent job!!! For us MTM guy's - you are FAILING MISERABLY.

nuff said.

quote:

Anyone at CNC listening???? There is a reason we dropped maintenance on our lathe seats....and I would encourage everyone else with lathe to follow suit. The only thing I can really think of that has changed with lathe since V8 is a round boring bar in verify.

At my last job we dropped maintenance on 5 seats of Mcam.

That's a cracking 1st post!

Playing devils advocate, CNC are obviously working on MTM hence the Mazak they bought (pictures on the website etc), and it obviously isn't ready for realease yet.

Whether that's because of lack of resource, priority, or difficulty/problems is anyones guess.

With the regular slating that they get on here for bugs, the last thing I would think they would want to do is to release some buggy software that causes the odd expensive train wreck, especially as the US of A is the king of the no win - no fee culture!

I believe X5 is the longest release ever in the Beta phase which I personally welcome. The more testing surely the more robust the product.

However, I do believe that CNC owe it to their customers to make a statement just so everyone knows where they stand.

Burying ones head in the sand is not a good look.

quote:

With the regular slating that they get on here for bugs, the last thing I would think they would want to do is to release some buggy software that causes the odd expensive train wreck,

Every version has been a new shiny train. same wreck. someone needs to lay new track !

Whens the last time anyone tried C axis contours on the sub spindle? let alone the main

nuf said

Guest SAIPEM

I was afraid of this.

CNC waits until recently to buy a Mazak Integrex to actually work on MTM.

I didn't take this as a good sign.

It means they are still learning what is actually involved as opposed to simply dragging their heels because of a cost/benefit analysis.

They should have had people embedded at Mazak in Florence for the past 5 years.

For anyone at MC to become marginally knowledgeable about MTM from using the machine in a "lab" setting would take years.

I supposed it's good that they are begrudgingly acknowledging the need for MTM in Mastercam.

However, we all know the perils of an initial release of any new version of software.

We also know that they really do need to fix X5 Lathe before adding a piecemeal kluge for MTM.

If we won't see anything until X6 then CNC needs to come right out and say that.

So we are left with the reality that Mastercam users will be forced to look elsewhere for a reliable MTM product for the next 2 years MINIMUM.

At that point, it won't matter any longer.

As a Mastercam fanboi, I find this unbelievably sad.

SAIPEM - As a Mc user since V6, I share your pain.

As a mill programmer, I can say that Mc has come a long way.

On the other hand, as a lathe programmer, I have to agree, CNC should have been on top of this.

Hand coding is getting really old. IMHO Mc lathe needs a re-write.

But what is done is done.

Obviously they are working on this, and if you want to help, become a Beta tester,

and help the X6 lathe release be everything we're all asking for.

If you get involed now, your enhancements/suggestions may be in the X6 release, IDK.

I'm sure CNC would like your input

JM2C