Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Are some link postings board spam?

Webby

A recent post by TalkMaster - CMM Talk - informed the eMastercam.com community of a "very interesting and informative site" - what turns out to be his own CMM board.

When the link is the very first post from a New Member, the information is unsolicited, and the New Member is not likely a licensed Mastercam user, I tend to feel a bit used.

I feel differently when a contributing Member asks where to source lollipop cutters, and others provide links based on their own independent experiences.

So for information purposes, let's put it to a vote. Don't let my comments bias your opinion.

[ 09-26-2002, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]

I agree it is good info but at the same time they most likly are not here to interface with us about mastercam.

So I call it a spam post.

This is kind of funny sense when I saw the post last night this is how I felt after reading the post.

[ 09-26-2002, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Without a doubt this is spam.

I'd have to guess that 99% of us in here do nothing with/to CMM's. Though the question about CMM stuff has surfaced a couple of times during my tenure as a Forum Member, if Mr. Talk was truly interested in being a contributing member of our Mastercam Community, and not just using us, then he should have searched out those topics and posted his link there. But since this was his first post, creating his own topic and touting his own site, I find this to totally distasteful and should be apologized for.

JM2C

Just my opinion, and since you asked...

If he is a MC user, I dont see a problem with "advertising" his siteproduct as others do on this forum (with-in limits of course, currently no one here oversteps their bounds). However, if he is not a valid MC user he should be charged to advertise here like the sponsers are at the bottom of the page. (At least I think they are charged...)

[ 09-26-2002, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Mark H ]

CMM Talk is on my IE list of favorites along with Forums for Mastercam, Catia, Unigraphics & CAD-CAM Forum for the Software Zone, just to mention a few. Because I work with CMM software and MasterCam every day, I am evidence that this forum is not just for machinists only and I try to contribute when I can, to all the forums I visit. Maybe Talk Master was just trying to help. The posting was short & to the point with no extra "Graphics" or "Words of Wisdom." Unless Talk Master makes a pest of himself, say by posting the same message over and over, I vote give him the benefit of the doubt.

All,

I must agree with Smit. Even if he is a MC user, it is in very poor taste to advertise your website as a first post to any forum. It's equivalent of having someone ring your doorbell and asking you to buy something without saying "hello, my name is..." first. Poor manners as well as salesmanship. "There's just somethin' wrong with that boy." JMHO cheers.gif

I have been CNC programmer for 12 years, 20 years total in CNC. My buddy,who I have been bugging for weeks for oppurtunity at his company, has set me up for interview. His plan is to use my CADCAM experiences and migrate to CMM programmer. So the post to me was Interesting and informative.

Concerning vote:

Is it usefull information?----YES (in my case)

Is it unsolicited?------------YES (thus SPAM??)

Im sitting on fence on this one. Let moderator determine subject and intent of this forum.

quote:

Maybe Talk Master was just trying to help. The posting was short & to the point with no extra "Graphics" or "Words of Wisdom." Unless Talk Master makes a pest of himself, say by posting the same message over and over, I vote give him the benefit of the doubt.

After this CMM TALK link post---,

my RC Club friend, my Jehovah Witness friend, my Jewish friend, my Catholic friend, my pro-E forum friend and very helpful Martha Steward want to put a link post in this MasterCam forum. They said they could do it short & to the point with no extra "Graphics" or "Words of Wisdom." and promise would not "posting the same message over and over".

Are they trying to help these "Machinists"?----YES (in many ways)

Are those usefull informations?----YES (in many cases. Even MasterCam user's wife can use them)

Are they trade related ------------YES (I pray every time when I screw up in my MasterCam programing. I convert pro-e files. I use MasterCam cut my RC models...)

Should they solicit?----------May be (if they are civilized) confused.gif

quote:

i think it is all good if you dont like it just skip on to the next topic some people it seems here could and do use his site its not like its not trade related

How smart!!

Webmaster, let's make this forum a "free Yahoo" to make every body happy! eek.gif

However, my cousins come my house have to make phone calls and push my door bell button. biggrin.gif

[ 09-26-2002, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: David S ]

I think it is SPAM. I come to Emastercam to get Mastercam questions answered and to answer a few. If I need information about a CMM website, I'll ask. I don't like information pushed at me. I like the question and answer format. If I want to read SPAM all I have to do is look in my Outlook trash bin. JM2C.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Budge,

Yes, and no. If this guy had been a user for some time, contributing to the forum in some way shape or form then it would have probably been more acceptable, or if he would have gone to the topic it was related to that was floating around last week or so and posted there it would also most likely beeen viewed as more acceptable but to post a non Mastercam related topic AS YOUR FIRST POST, well that's just plain wrong, rude, and I'll bet he does not even use Mastercam. I think there should be quite a bit of latitude about O/T postings for regular contributers, because afterall, this place is just like a conversation you would have at a pub or something, it moves around a lot, changes subjects, then comes back again.

JM2C

quote:

this place is just like a conversation you would have at a pub or something,

Except James wouldn't be wearing the hat in the pub.

Good morning

I like the forum just like it is. It takes everybody to create what we have here.

we all have

answers,question's,fun ,converstion,even problem's on the job and at home have come up in this forum. If the forum is going to be all work and play will be re-strickt-ed ,It will be a dragg . I like to have fun here.

IMHO Just like the programs I will wright today will get some small adjustment to make them run.

We don't need a major adjustment to the forum,just let the Webby do what he has been doing all along---it is working.

"""Some words are are misspelled so that the Surfcam proggrammers could read them"""

[ 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]