Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how big is yours?

perseid88

With the recent talk of holding your parts down with double stick tape...

I was wondering what size of parts everyone is cutting. Mastercam always wants to know the most creative use of their product.

I want to know who makes the largest or the smallest item.

We currently have parts on our mill that are over 900" long (75'+)

We gotta do them in stages but it's all one part.

Each one weighs about 7 tons.

Perseid88

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...7 tons...

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Our longest part is about 6 feet long at the most and our smallest machines part is about 4x the size of a quarter.

Our biggest hog out is something I'm working on right now. Starts at 68lbs. Ends at 3.5lbs. .125 floors and walls. Open on one end. Not too difficult. Man shoulder screws are great.

Interesting! Do you clamp the rail car to your machine? I make parts that usually fit in a lunch box.

A machine the size of America could cut a part the size of Texas. With data all you need is the decimal places and iron to handle the instructions.

P.S. I hope the 75' part drops on Sadam Hussains head.

Best Regards

perseid88

Longest so far 2'x 2.5' x 188"--A beam looking thing.

quote:

P.S. I hope the 75' part drops on Sadam Hussains head.

We made the largest wax investment mold (1988)known in the free world it was 100" x60" x 72"

Hey Part Factory -------We did drop it on him last time.

---edited because of loose lips-----------

[ 01-31-2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

I currently am working on our largest chamber part we have ever made. It measures 38" tall x 27" wide x 20" thick 6061 Forging. It only weighs in at 1598 lbs. compared to your 7 tons. But this is plenty big enough for me ! Have you got inspection capabilities for that 900" ? Must be some big calipers and micrometers you use cool.gif

The smallest part weve done here were not larger than 1"x.5"x.25". The raw mats are phenolic. itchy eh!!!

The Longest part I programmed was 330" long (aluminum extrusion). Making only contours to taper on both ends of part and clouds of dirllings about inch and a half apart.

But our longest machines can only handle 140" so I never got to see the raw material and it being machined. They run it in Kansas where our mother company is located.

Smart huh! Look at how much money they save by having the programs done in a third world country. smile.gif

[ 02-01-2003, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Jerome ]

The largest part with the most mass that we've done is a roll form die made from 17-4ph stainless.

22" dia 8feet long.

It has about 455 little grooves along the body just about the size of a Ruffle potato chip groove.

Can anyone guess what this makes???

Our customer finish grinds the roll and does the millwork,but it's cool to know that I am partially responsible for the thicker Ruffles chips.

biggrin.gif

MMM MMM MMM.

Wow

Some of you guys make some big stuff!

Biggest part we make here is 14" x 12" x 4.5" 6061-T6 housing (I feel puny even mentioning this in light of 75' parts)

Smallest part around .236 diameter shaft (+/-.0001) with a .750 OD, .005 wall cup on one end

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

There is a company around the corner and down a few blocks from where I work. They have a 32' (yes that's FEET) diameter VTL. They turn Submarine Fuselages on it. That is one of the largest lathes I am aware of in the world.

While I was in Japan a few years back, I saw an Ingersoll Bridge Mill that was 90' long. It was amazing. In that 90' it was square and paralell within .0005". They machine CNC Machine castings on it.

Very interesting indeed.

James

The owner of my company went for a tour of the KOMO router factory. He took pictures of a mill that big, if not bigger. It was amazing. They cut all their casting for their machines on it. Truely an amazing piece of machinery.

I worked at a foundry in South Carolina that had a couple of VTL's that were aournd 12' if memeory serves me correctly. I thought those were really big. I can not imagine a 32 eek.gif footer eek.gif

The most I can get out of our biggest machine is 32"x, 19"y and 20"z. Most of our parts like Parts Factory said could most likely fit in a lunch box, but we have exceeded our max x,y a couple of times on some large thermoforming molds and some forms needed for bending plexi. We have a smaller machine that has 32"x, 13" or 14"y (I don't remember) and a whopping 3.9"z travel with the quill, though it's a knee mill so we can crank the bed up and down if we need to cheat.

Parts do make $ although this job the customer supplied all the material and we just cut and drilled only. Just like most jobs, set up takes an hour and milling done in a few minutes. The ones that are longer than our table have to be done in sections using last holes drilled as new origin. Those may take all day.

These are replacement girders for an old RR bridge being replaced one piece at a time in Missouri.

Perseid88

Did anybody see the Micro Dozer in “Getting a Grip article in Manufacturing Engineering October 2002”? It was made of brass and consisted of 17 parts. The whole thing assembled was .33 long x .2 wide x .2 high. It is pretty cool looking. Here is a link to the article.

Micro Dozer

Marc,

I dont recall the exact name for this project, but it had to do with that laser eye thingie that was to get mounted on top of 747 to shoot down missiles. I saw scematic of whole assembly, this peice was just a crossmember of unit. larger rail pieces were done at Valencia...dont recall which shop.