Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Users from Ver 6 to 9

ricky_fire

It would be great to know how many of u guys

have been using Mastercam from Ver 6 to Ver 9sp1

Just inquisitive to know how many of u guys out there are in the same league as me

People using Mastercam even before Ver 6 are welcome

They will be considered as legends

So lets do it guyz

Three Cheers to Mastercam cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've been using Mastercam since 1992. I believe the Version was 3.1 or something like that. Could not even do surfaces! eek.gif But then again, I don't believe any PC Based CAD/CAM system at that time could. I've also used 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x

It's been an exciting progression over the years. I can't wait for X to come out. It's going to be different.

MasterCam V3. sounds about right here..

Running on 386 machine, 4megs RAM, 40 mb Hdrive, MCam recommended ATI video card, Windows for Workgroups 3.1. 1992 I believe.

Prior to this ran Unigraphics on MicroVax system..video drivers ran on seperate machine about size of a desk.

[ 02-25-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: TheePres ]

Yes ThreePres i remember the days when we went to a PC based system. Coupla a IBM At machines much like what u mention. x286 tho.

we used, at various times, Prime Medusa, Computer Vision and something else that escapes me now. We also had ourown proprietary 2 1/2d CAM software. I was very good. built in macros, great editor. and ran on a Tektronics workstation with tape drive. We had thermal printers that had paper on drum. It worked and we loved it. Almost as much as MasterCam!

/KLG

I have been working in the shops since 1966,,

so most of the exact dates are a blurr..

Here is my Version:::

V0--There was no Version 1,

They just called it Mastercam.(Quick-silver)

V2 Now we had a 3-d data base.and the letting

V3 (Jay you were here 1989)--

from this version on I didn't use Surfcam, or Cadkey again.

V4 I didn't like it much, and went back to V3.1

V5 I was stuck in V3.1

V6 Chris K. forced my to stop useing V6 like it was V3.1(Thanks)

V7 I went to G Stephens class,to get current.(Thanks)

V8 I really liked the V8 stuff, I took Chris K. classes.(Thanks)

V9 SP1,I am now on the forum.

Yeah Keith, all us programmers and design engineers staged a sick-out when we were told AutoCad and either Anvil or MasterCam would be replacing our Unigraphics seats. No longer were we some elite/mysterious group working in the "War room", as our dungeon was known. We returned, learned some social skills....worked out for the better.

Been using MC for a while used 3.21, 5.0, 5.56, 6.0, 6.1, 6.12, 6.13, 6.13a (and wire 6.13c I think it was), 7.0, 7.1, 7.2x, 8.0, 8.1, 8.1.1, 9.0 9.0sp1.

In 3.21 I would get scared everytime those black screens with the fill in the blanks would pop up beacause the resolution on the monitor would change and make a strange noise.

I beg to differ on the fact that V3.21 could infact do surfaces. The result of the surface could not be seen graphicaly but instead was in a file .cbd file. You would have to develop a finish toolpath first to define the surface one at a time and save a .cbd file for each one. You could Rough and create surface fillets between two .cbd files. The modern day equlv. is the toolpaths , next menu, wireframe. Somewhere along the way MC stoped letting the user save a chain file. I cant remeber the extension of that file but it was a powerfull tool!

Anyway Mastercam has come a long way! I look forward to every realese.

Allan

Wow Scott...VERSION 0?!?.

I have total respect for you guys that have been 'loyal' to Mcam all these years. My introduction to Mastercam was 7.2 and even that seems arcaic to me now.

Webby, how about establishing a Mastercam Hall 'o Fame for all these guys that have developed the software and worked with CNC since the beginning? Or even a timeline chart to see how far Mastercam has come since the earth cooled (what year did version 0 come out anyway?).

Hats off to you guys,

Steve