Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Training

kccadcam

I wanted to create a new poll but don't have the proper rights. Anyways, here goes.

How many of you fine people were or are trained in Mastercam and how many are self taught?? smile.gif

Don't bother answering if you're learning on hacked software!!!!! mad.gif

Just went through the first class at S4A (my reseller) on the Mill software which I have never really used. I learned quite a bit and I'm looking forward to the next installment next month (One of our other guys is there right now).

Self-taught on the lathe (so far) and loving the software (almost) every time I use it.

I'm also hacking my way through some post edits these days; all simple format stuff.

C

[ 04-11-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I had some training back in 1992!! V3.11 I think it was.

The rest has been self taught over the years.

I've also learned a ton from teaching Mastercam part time in the evenings at our local Tech College. It's amazing how newbies can ask questions you never tried or thought of before.

Hi kevin

I was shown how to use it from Tom S.

When I started that was all the help

that was availible(there wasn't a book)

Also Chris K. gave me tutor type help

several times as needed for difficult

projects. I took a formal MC class with

Chris at New Berry park, and also I took

A class with G Stephens. I went to several helpful demo days.

But with all the years of seat time I feel

that I was ""self taught""

as well as being trained by Masercam for three Version changes

I still don't know enough.

biggrin.gif

I have had About six weeks of School

since 6.0 Came out.

I have learned the most from Friends I have made over the years in this Biz.

They would drive to my Work after work

and show me how they went about things and what works and doesn't work well.

This Furom has been very valuable also biggrin.gif

[ 04-11-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Tony ]

When I implemented MC a few years ago, we went to a 2 week class at OATC. It was great and got us started, but what you learn when the boss is breathing down your neck is far more applicable. We now do in house training for those who wish to advance to programming. We have classes 2 nights a week after work for 2 months. This is voluntary for the student (unpaid), but the instructor gets o.t. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Jeremiah

[ 04-11-2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Jeremiah ]

I took a couple of classes from my reseller, it was enough to get me started. But to be honest the best training I have recieved to date has been right here.

Work at your own pace, and get the help you need almost faster than you could in a class room, RIGHT HERE!

cheers.gif

I took an 8 hour a week 12 or 13 week course from Charles Davis. It was an excelent course that gave me the basic tools to use MC. I was able to get a good sound foundation from that class. Since then I have either learned things on my own( stumbled into them ) or from this site ( more times than not ). Also I have been fortunate to have someone who has been useing the software for few years long than me to bounce ideas off of.

Steve Sibiski

cheers.gif

I took the basic 3 day 2D and 3D training courses back at v7, which basicly made me able to create a 3D cube wireframe/surfaces and taught me the difference between a few of the toolpaths. That was something like 4 or 5 years ago..I'd say that 85% of what I know is self-taught, 5% from training, and the other 10% from here biggrin.gif

Had a week of training in gig harbour when I first had the software. Spent a bit that week helping other students along. Some didn't even know how to save a file (huge frustration). Took 1 week od advanced lathe training at the home of emastercam in Cambridge Ont.

All this helped to get me started but the real training is from using the software every day and staying evenings to try new things. Many of which I learn here.

Phil

A previous boss walked my through MC and toolpathing about 3 1/2 years ago for a couple a weeks. Some supervision and me asking alot of questions for the next few months at which point I out lapped him. Took off runing and haven't stopped since.

Now, discover stuff on my own, the forum, or bounce ideas of the other toolpathers.

Post Editing: Self taught. Thrown to the wolves situation. "We got a new mill, Here's what the NC should look like, here's a general post I was told should work. By the way the machine needs to run tommorow." (doh!) Pressure is a great motivator. biggrin.gif Been tweaking our posts and setup sheets ever since to make my life (and I guess the operators) easier ever since.

Chooks: Mostly self taught except for a really really big push at the beginning. The people at MC have been saints. And about once every six months I bug them with something I don't understand. It would probably be more but I only program chooks part time in between my 'real' job of toolpathing.

Bryan smile.gif

Self taught, started on v5.0, but I think it would have been better to have some instruction up front. The sales person I think did about two days inhouse training. We bought the computer and software from him it was the computer he was using for demo, I think it was a 286 computer. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I took two semesters of Mastercam at community college (Version 3.1), and took one 5 Axis Class with Glenn at CAD/CAM Consulting in SoCal (Versino 7). Trial and Error have my best friends for so long now I don't know what I'd do without them. I learned posts on my own under a pressure situation. Glenn taught me some really trick stuff too though.

The folks that have contributed the most to what I know are Glenn, Dennis, Tom and Rob at CAD/CAM, and my awesome wife for not killing me all those late nights spent at the computer "playing" as she called it.

And now I teach it..... Go figure.

I started with version 2, trial and error without any manuals even. Went to work for Ernie at Tri-Tech (best mastercam programmer I have worked with, before or since) and learned a few tricks and have taken it from there with no formal training.

I went to two 13 week classes at Davis Technologies. I took 1 semester at a local community college. I attended the post class at CNC in Tolland. I have many years of OJT. I also, took a 3 days 5-axis class with Mike Rosa. Since I have started teaching Mastercam I have learned a good deal more. The teaching has forced me to get out of my rut and look at all the features Mastercam has to offer. Also, like James said students ask quite a few questions and expect you to have or find the answers.