Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fast slection of tool path operation?

neurosis

So I have a part file that has about 150 operations. I can see on the screen which path I need to edit but to find it in the operations manager takes FOREVER. What do you guys to to help cure this situation? It sure would be nice if I were able to just select the path that I am looking at right on the screen. :(

I know it won't help you, but in NCPlot, click on a line in the backplotted toolpath, and the cursor jumps to the line in the program. Mind you, it is a $300 dollar program :rolleyes:

But, it would be excellent if mcam would highlight the OP when selecting the path. Enhancement request anyone :D

If you use the select feature that Zoober mentioned you can select the geometry from the screen that is used in the tool path. might not be enough with 150 ops but you should have a fair idea of what geo was used to create the toolpath and it would probably narrow it down to a few tool pathes .

Oh, you can also use Analyze- Database.

Click the geometry, analyze database, and it will check the ops associated with that geometry. Will show solid associations too.

Kinda paraphrasing as I remember cause I'm at home.

There you go I've learn't something new today, can I knock off and go home now !!

Thanks Zoober

Ive used most of the methods explained above. Short of taking the time to be 100% organized which at times there is not enough time for, most of these methods are less than convenient. It sure would be nice to be able to select the tool path on the screen. Its frustrating when you can see exactly what needs to be modified but you have to spend 10 minutes searching for the operation in the tree. what a pain in the xxxx.

I keep most of my tool path geometry separated on specific levels but even then, when you are talking about 100+ operations it can become quite frustrating trying to find a specific operation to modify.

I vote for enhancement request. :|

Select all the operations

Start backplot

Turn Trace Mode on

Click the blue arrow that points down ( upper left corner)

to show all the selected operations

In the graphics area, click on the toolpath you

want to modify.

The operation will highlight in the backplot window

Nice to know about that Gcode, but it realy shows the limitations of my computer. I have a nice 20 - 30 second delay after picking the toolpath. :blink:

Thanks

Yeah, a light duty machine will run out of breath in a hurry doing that.

You could add 2 more gig of RAM to that machine.. It wouldn't cost much and it would help.

That's why I didn't recommend that method. I've got a good box, and if I turn on backplot with trace and/or rapid turned on, I can barely move the screen around to find my path if I have a lot of ops.

Even worse with multi if vectors are on.

Thats with a FX5800 vid card.:huh:

Dave,

Turn on the Display of all your toolpaths. Then turn on the "Only display select operation" button in the Ops manager.

Now you should be able to use several different methods to narrow down your toolpath selections.

Option 1:

Select the first operation in your Operations manager. With the "Only display selected ops" button turned on, you can now use the Down Arrow key on your keyboard to traverse through the operations. As the "selected" check mark moves from Operation to Operation, it will change which operation is being displayed.

Option 2:

Similar to option 1, but if you have your operations broken up into groups, just click through the groups with the "Only display selected ops" button on, and it shouldn't take very long to find the Op you want. You could also use the Shift key on the keyboard to help you make your selection. Select Op 1, then hold down Shift, and select Op 50. It will now display just these ops on the screen. I'm just suggesting this as a way to quickly narrow down the location of the Op you are looking for.

Option 3:

Use the "Select" funtion from the Right-Click menu, as Zoober has already mentioned.

You can search by a large variety of methods, including using the "Select geometry" option. You can then go to your screen and select a piece of geometry, and Mastercam will show you the number of operations that reference that piece of geometry. When you exit the "Select" dialog box, those operations will now be selected in your Ops manager (you might have to scroll to look for the check marks).

Hope that helps,