Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wavy finish in pocket

BenK

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is there is something wrong with a lead screw in the area of the machine's travel

If its not to much trouble try moving the setup a couple of inches in X and Y.

If the problem goes away, your machine needs some maintenance..

Another thing you could do is make a note of the machine coordinates in this area

and have the machine ball bar tested, making sure that area of the machine travel is checked

does the code have a G41 for the finish pass?

is there any comp distance being applied at the machine? (does your radius list have a value in it?)

1. if so try running it without cutter comp on.

2. try linearizing the arc via the post, or breaking the arc up into many short lines and see if that makes any difference.

3. try turning off the high speed look ahead.

all of these can cause issues, if they do not cure the problem I'd have to agree and say you have a backlash adj. issue, a ballscrew issue, or a bad bearing on one end of your X axis ballscrew.

Here is an example of the code. I marked the problem areas.

N198G0G54X-.9488Y-.1445S10000M3

N199G43H1Z3.

N348G41D2X-.6522Y.7236

N349G3X-.7582Y.721Z.435I-.0516J-.0543

N350X-1.0026Y-.2989I.7582J-.721

N351X-.9727Y-.3212I.0299J.0089 F10.

N352G1X-.6299F25.

N353G3X-.6059Y-.31J.0312 F10.

N354G2X-.3959Y-.1328I.6059J-.505 F25. <----------

N355G3X-.3814Y-.098I-.0157J.027F10.

N356G2X0.Y.3938I.3814J.098 F25. <-----------

N357X.3814Y-.098J-.3938

N358G3X.3959Y-.1328I.0302J-.0078 F10.

N359G2X.6059Y-.31I-.3959J-.6822F25.

N360G3X.6299Y-.3212I.024J.02 F10.

N361G1X.9727 F25.

N362G3X1.0026Y-.2989J.0312 F10.

N363X.705Y.7731I-1.0026J.2989F25. <----------

NCPlot backplotted it ok....

You could run the geometry with the Z high so it's only cutting a minimum depth which will illiminate tool deflection etc, but it doesn't look like that.

I would do a backlash check with a DTI manually, to see if there is mechanical loss motion, but I don't think it's that either.

To me it looks more like parameters or servo set-up (drift)?

Does the machine contour accurately when it's cutting good (verified with cmm)? I don't mean positioning accuracy as in drilling, but contouring/moving?

Strange one this...

I tried a different endmill and different holders now also. Didn't get any better.

gallery_20840_31_16380.jpg

To me it looks like G-code problem.

I would try to chenge geometry first and elimunate arcs from the program by chenging setting in mastercam .

Just take a look if problem will come again .

To me it looks like G-code problem.

I would try to chenge geometry first and elimunate arcs from the program by chenging setting in mastercam .

Just take a look if problem will come again .

I think its a cutter comp problem.. as in small moves and large comp value

how much cutter comp have you got on this toolpath..

control comp or wear

have you tried it with D2 = 0 ?

have you tried posting this with computer comp ??

1-Machine tools have parameter for back lash compensation adjustment. Check? and you can tighten up the electronic setting.

2 cents......

2-If your machine tool has tolerance(nurbs control) , check if it is switched on and have the right values set for the kind of toolpath you are doing.

3 Dont feed too fast.

Here is an example of the code. I marked the problem areas.

In the code you posted all of the "problem" lines have a feedrate of 25.0 and the rest of the path looks like 10.0.

Why the feedrate changes?

As newbeeeeee said, raise the tool up so it only cuts like .050 deep or so, and run it ridiculously slow to eliminate tool deflection. Are you sure the control is keeping up with the tool (i.e. tool not "pausing" for a split second and flexing back into the material while the control catches up).

Keith, those feedrates are what I had to do just to get by so we could make the parts. It doesn't matter if my DOC is .05 or .5 it still looked the same. The problem area is a arc that is around 1.5" long. It only happens at the beginning of the path and not between lines.

I'm going to go run the code in our A61 this morning to see if it does it on that machine also.

My vote is for switching comp to computer, and getting rid of all those feedrate changes.

The feed rate changes is what made it a decent looking part.

I just ran it in our A61 at 100. ipm and the part looked good. It has to be something with our A66's

I still say backlash issue and try running the path in reverse. If it is backlash adjusting your compensation won't help at all. When climb cutting the endmill will still pull the table from one side of the screw to the other. Compensation just makes it overshoot when reversing direction.