Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Change tool name

neurosis

Where are you changing the name? In the tool manager? In the tool parameters? In the toolpath at the tool page?

If you change the name in the tool manager you will need open the toolpath parameters and left click select the tool to reset the name.

If you change the name of the tool from the toolpath parameters by editing the tool it should update the name of the tool.

It doesnt seem to matter where i change it. If i change it by opening the tool page, it will change the name for that operation ONLY. If there are other operations using the tool it leaves them the same forcing me to have to click on the tool for every single operation that uses it.

Maybe this is similar to the issue I had with the null tool posting in the program after changing a tool name. :|

Just yesterday I changed the names of about 6 tools that each had maybe 5 ops.

On the top menu bar (file, edit, view, analyze....) I picked "Toolpaths" then "Lathe tool manager"

double clicked on the tools one tool at a time, changed the name and it stuck for all of the ops using each tool...

Maybe lathe is different?

Maybe you have to do it the way I did instead of going into the tool manager through the operations manager....

Just yesterday I changed the names of about 6 tools that each had maybe 5 ops.

On the top menu bar (file, edit, view, analyze....) I picked "Toolpaths" then "Lathe tool manager"

double clicked on the tools one tool at a time, changed the name and it stuck for all of the ops using each tool...

Maybe lathe is different?

Maybe you have to do it the way I did instead of going into the tool manager through the operations manager....

That is the way that I usually do it. Here is what I get. You can see that the tool name is changed but it did NOT change it in the operation. When I post this I some times get NULL tools in the comments from this.

If i change it by opening the tool page, it will change the name for that operation ONLY.

Yes your right it's like any other parameter that is associated to a toolpath.

However I have a solution,..change the tool name in the tool manager, then select the toolpaths that use that tool, right click in the operations manager, use the edit selected operations - edit common parameters.

In the edit common parameter dialog activate "tool selection" in the lower right, then select the tool,use the green check and it will reset all the toolpaths to the edited tool name.

That is the way that I usually do it. Here is what I get. You can see that the tool name is changed but it did NOT change it in the operation. When I post this I some times get NULL tools in the comments from this.

I just right-clicked the tool from the operation page and edited the tool name on the parameters page. It updated fine.

post-41094-0-54201900-1315509645_thumb.jpg

Yes your right it's like any other parameter that is associated to a toolpath.

However I have a solution,..change the tool name in the tool manager, then select the toolpaths that use that tool, right click in the operations manager, use the edit selected operations - edit common parameters.

In the edit common parameter dialog activate "tool selection" in the lower right, then select the tool,use the green check and it will reset all the toolpaths to the edited tool name.

I may have to try this next time. I do not keep my feeds and speeds locked however. When you do this, does it change your feed rates and spindle speeds to the tools defaults?

It would sure be nice if you could just change the name using the tool manager and have the tool name update in the operations. :shrug:

For EVERY operation that uses that tool or only the one?

I only had one operation. I will add another and try. In the past I remember all of them changing, however you must change the very first op that uses the tool and it will tell you to update all ops that use that tool or some bs.

I only had one operation. I will add another and try. In the past I remember all of them changing, however you must change the very first op that uses the tool and it will tell you to update all ops that use that tool or some bs.

I was wrong. It only updated the first operation. I had to open the second and change it as well. This software sure is glitchy.

I just tested it and yes it does change the feed rate to the tool default parameters. :mellow:

Thanks for checking. Ive been bit by this before. Only when I am in a hurry of course. Obviously if I am paying close attention to what I am doing I can lock the feeds before making changes and everything will be ok.

I hate locking the feeds because once in a while I will add and then change to a new tool for a particular set of operations and like the feeds and speeds to be set to the new tools parameters. Doing this, I have been bit by roughing step over and down adjusting to the new tool automatically as well. Some times I feel that I have to spend far to much time going over and back over things time and time again to make sure everything has stayed the way that I expect it or changed when I have expected it to change. :(

:)

Thanks for checking. Ive been bit by this before. Only when I am in a hurry of course. Obviously if I am paying close attention to what I am doing I can lock the feeds before making changes and everything will be ok.

I hate locking the feeds because once in a while I will add and then change to a new tool for a particular set of operations and like the feeds and speeds to be set to the new tools parameters. Doing this, I have been bit by roughing step over and down adjusting to the new tool automatically as well. Some times I feel that I have to spend far to much time going over and back over things time and time again to make sure everything has stayed the way that I expect it or changed when I have expected it to change. :(

Thats why they pay us the BIG BUCKS :)

:)

Thats why they pay us the BIG BUCKS :)

:p I have a feeling that if the guys working on the software had to deal with issues like this daily as some of us that program production parts and that are held to continuous improvement, these issues would have been dealt with a long time ago. :rolleyes: Since the focus is on all of the fancy new sparkles to attract new buyers all of this crap gets let go over and over and over.

fAST WAY TO CHANGE THE TOOL NAME (doing it starting from ver8)

in tool manager or anywhere edit tool name and change tool diameter with some small value like 0.001 in metric

you will have all the ops using the tool dirty and new tool name

Return the value and regen

HTH

in tool manager or anywhere edit tool name and change tool diameter with some small value like 0.001 in metric

HTH

Thanks. I just tried this out and it worked. Maybe someday they can fix this. If you have been doing this sense ver8 I guess it's not likely.

HTH

Nice! haha.. what a simple work around. I also wish that they would just fix this. Seems odd that they would let this go for so long knowing that it is an issue. :(

• 5 months later...

:p I have a feeling that if the guys working on the software had to deal with issues like this daily as some of us that program production parts and that are held to continuous improvement, these issues would have been dealt with a long time ago. :rolleyes: Since the focus is on all of the fancy new sparkles to attract new buyers all of this crap gets let go over and over and over.

SO TRUE!!! I REALLY HOPE THIS TOOL DEBACLE GETS FIXED SOON!!! maybe they dont consider some of them important!!?? but i guess when its not your 300,000 mill with a 40,000 spindle that takes a minimum of 3working days to replace

or that you charge 100$/hr for labor, working 3shifts per day,, work in a job shop,, etc etc ,,,

and yeah i get it i should go thru my 60,000 line program to look for stuff that my software is supposed to do for me???

maybe if they consider that this software is not for play time,,, these little idiosyncrasies are not so little

also why make software that allows you to attack a problem from 5 diffrent angles if only one of those angles gives you the correct result??

no im not a mc hater!! i recommended this software to the company i work for!!! but now im left feeling like a dip xxxx because of some of these issues!

• Like 1