Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Active Reports

ToddF

I just recently installed Mastercam X5 for mill, and am wanting to set up my Active Reports. I was modifying the Mastercam version of Active Reports and found that when I go to print the reports, it prints one page and then spits out a blank page after every one that it prints. I printed it before I modifed it, and it didnt spit out a blank sheet for everyone it printed. I just want a simple sheet that shows the top view and gives me tool descriptions with the Z-value for how deep the tool is going. Any help would be appreciated. :wallbash:

"In order for something to be created, it must first have a creator."

Everytime some asks about active reports it never fails that someone has to mention "I use X+ and it does all that I need". Anyways check your margins you could be too close to the edge thus creating a second page. Active reports are a great tool and it has many possibilities, the active reports tutorial is on the FTP ftp://mastercam-cadcam.com user:mastercam pw:swiss; under setup sheets subfolder.

Everytime some asks about active reports it never fails that someone has to mention "I use X+ and it does all that I need".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say it for a reason.

I do not need to waste my time on tutorials and all the b%^&*() when in 5 minutes I get my tool list and setup report

exactly in the way I need it.

Active report for me is overweight and overkill.

I need something fast and simple and I know where it is

BR

The big thing that I really don't understand, is that since programming began, set-up sheets have been VERY IMPORTANT. A definate necesity.

So how come CNC has never really addressed this properly, and more to the point, easily?

I know that they have spent a lot of time (and therefore money) in changing over to active reports, but as Bear points out, it's not the easiest system to get your head around.

Making things / Programming is a head fluck at times, but set sheets *SHOULD* be able to be created easy peasy - after all, the info for nearly everything needed is within the mcam file.

And this is where X+ comes in. We use it for a one click quick check for cycle time (when trying different toolpath strategies as well as total job), ensuring H+D's match, and also for tooling or prototyping that doesn't repeat.

We have an Active Report written by CNC but don't use it because it won't save in MSWord, which is what we use to create our production set sheets (the same as all the other mcam shops locally use).

So if X+ could directly save to MSWord, I think we would use this 100% without fail.

It just seems mad that CNC with all of their resource and expertise constantly comes second to the X+ 'add-on'.

• Like 2

I believe it couldn't do it in X4, but the option was added to sort in X5.

We haven't implemented it yet, because we don't use it yet (ever the eternal optimist hoping that the real reason X6 is not yet released, is that CNC are beavering away implementing the 'save in MSWord format' function) :wine:

The X4 tutorial doesnt say anything about a sorted tool list.

Ive tried to just play around with the designer and understand what was going on but it is not very intuitive. I ran through the tutorial back in X4 but was disappointed when I could not create a sorted tool list so I stopped messing with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that I have been able to get a tool list layout like I need. However, the tools are not sorted in numerical order and repeat.

How is this done?

Thanks,

-Pat

Wow your tool list is almost where I am trying to get! I have a good 2 axis lathe one figured out. My 3 axis mill is bad lol!

I like that I have been able to get a tool list layout like I need. However, the tools are not sorted in numerical order and repeat.

How is this done?

Thanks,

-Pat

Can you share this tool list, I really like it. I can take a look and figure it out why the tools repeat,I have a pretty nice setup sheet but the way you layed out your is better.

For a sorted tool list you can go to the Tool Manager, Rt click on import/export then either detailed report or report. This is a sorted tools report, I wonder if it can be called from the standard setup sheet report as a subreport. Colin might know !

You can call it in as sub report. You have to write in some custom code for it though. As far as I've been able to tell, that's the only way to make it happen.

This is how I brought mine in....

public void ActiveReport_ReportStart()

{

DataDynamics.ActiveReports.ActiveReport sbrpt = new

DataDynamics.ActiveReports.ActiveReport();

sbrpt.LoadLayout("C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\shared mcamx5\\common\\reports\\SST\\-tooldetail.rpx");

this.tooldetail.Report = sbrpt;

}

You can call it in as sub report. You have to write in some custom code for it though. As far as I've been able to tell, that's the only way to make it happen.

This is how I brought mine in....

public void ActiveReport_ReportStart()

{

DataDynamics.ActiveReports.ActiveReport sbrpt = new

DataDynamics.ActiveReports.ActiveReport();

sbrpt.LoadLayout("C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents\\shared mcamx5\\common\\reports\\SST\\-tooldetail.rpx");

this.tooldetail.Report = sbrpt;

}

Where are you placing this code to get it to work?

Thanks, -Pat

Sorted Tool List...Sorted by what?

You guys are aware that you can right-click in the Tool Manager choose Arrange Tools > by Number, by Type, by Name, or by Diameter and then right-click choose import/export - detailed report or report.

This will give you a report in the way that you chose to arrange them. Is that what you guys are looking for?