Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Years experience

specv

Happened to meet a guy who was a machinist when I was 18 years old - by 19 (1975) I was working in a machine shop and taking drafting classes at night.

So over the years I went back to school, worked in shops, was a draftsperson, than designer,than mfg engineer. Now back in a shop programming and desinging.

Compact II, Unigraphics, SmartCam, Autocad, Artisan (Ideas), Mastercam and now ProE with some Catia.

McDonell Douglas 6 years, AASC 13 years. And other places.

Kathy

And BTW - the guy I met almost 30 years ago? After dancing around it for almost 10 years we decided it was just meant to be! Again biggrin.gif

[ 07-09-2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: kathy ]

Thad, that is the correct Roy Howard. I had been seeing his name for years in Mastercam advertising, so I asked a mutual acquaintance from Michigan, who now works for our distributor in Indiana, if he knew Roy. Sure enough, it was the same person. So, it is a small world after all.

Man look at all the experience in this room:)

Lotsa mold makers....I must be the only one machining forging dies in here.

But I built plastic and die-cast injection molds from '78 to '86 so I can relate somewhat:)

Boy those were the days......no CNC's in most of the shops I worked in....

All manual stuff though........did everything with the EDM:)

Got my first CNC in '94........yup, thats when all the trouble started....lol

Murlin

1990 HS machine shop

1992 Die maker, EZ-Path, Anilam (Forging dies)

1997 Job Shop, Programmer/engineer

2001 Mold shop, Programmer/engineer (MC 7.2-8.1)

2002 Packaging company, engineer (UG)

Far away from the shop and not missing burns from hot chips. Got tired fixing mistakes and desings of other engineers, so I switched to engineering only. Much more rewarding. Now I decide where the hole goes, how deep and how big.

Quote: "Handles you had to crank"

That brought back an old memory. We used to have a vintage WWII Brown & Sharpe horizontal mill (complete with War Production Board Tag and requisite machine green paint!), and it was funny to watch someone run it. Both hands would be cranking handles like crazy, their head would be bobbing up and down, and if they had a lot of talent, their feet would be moving too. It always reminded us of monkeys in a zoo, which I guess the place was at times.

Started out wrenching on cars, got involved in machining on engines,(Blocks and Heads) Then one day I saw a REAL machine shop and thought: you mean I don't have to smell like burnt gear lube everyday? biggrin.gif

Went to Idaho State Univ for 2 years and received

an associates degree in machining technology.(1991)Got involved in VICA, won the state championship in machining, went to the national VICA competition and took 5th in the nation!

Started cranking handles on Bridgports (yes they do have handles!) Got involved with Mastercam in 1992 (V3.11) and have never looked back.

Now I sell it, teach it at the local tech college,

and program with it all day everyday!(You mean there is actually OTHER software out there?) eek.gif

I'll add my years:

1990 - first summer job in machine shop - saw operator

1992 - part time job in machine shop, ran production, drove forklift, was in charge of a pretty slick mop

1994 - Started machinist apprenticeship

1996 - After taking night classes, got myself on a Leadwell VMC (Fanuc 0-M). After the current job on the machine was finished, I programmed the next one and never stopped.

1998 - 6 months after finishing apprenticeship, left for a shop that had Mastercam V6.

1998(5 months later) - Left, and opened a shop with my father. 2 years with no CNC at all, then bought Mastercam with the first one. Never even looked at another software!

I'd say 9 years machining experience, 5 of that with Mastercam, 2 of those (I think) being a member of this forum, which made the programming much smoother with all the great tips!

When I wanted to go to Vo-Tech in 1971 they told my mother that it was too dangerous for a girl to be in the metalworking trades. That was all she had to hear. It was strictly academics for me and then on to college. Got a summer job in a machine shop and one day when the lathe guy didn't show up the foreman said, Kathy can run these parts. How 'bout it Kath?" He showed me how to read that c-clampy looking thing and the rest is history. That was 1975. I love making parts. I'm expert at Bridgeport work. I once overheard a boss telling a customer that I could really make that machine sing. Manual lathes are a little scary to me but CNC's are ok since you can close the door and push the button. I started programming in'82 using a calculator and a pencil with a really good eraser to write programs that got puched on this typewriter looking thing that spit out black tape. I've had lots of jobs from coast to coast and have learned something from everyone of them. I have more tools than any 3 people need and I still buy more. My parents are dissapointed in me and my husband thinks I'm a nut for not moving into an office job like he did. Mr Engineer. LaTeeDa. I don't like the office. Even here where I could have a cubicle in the office, I got them to put my computer in the shop amongst my machines and tools. It just feels better. Did I mention that I have and old Bridgeport in my garage at home to play with? You never know when you might have to modify a curtain rod or make a custom bracket for the bathroom sink.