Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Years experience

specv

4 yrs machine shop at East New York Vocational HS graduated 1976. Worked as a tool and die makers apprentice and became a journeyman in 1979. Learned edm and introduction to NC at New York Institue of Technology. First cad experience was autocad 9. Learned NC Polaris around 1988. Designed cnc machines for the non ferrous industry for the last 12 yrs. Learned Bridgeport EZ cam 1991 Learned smartcam 1994, Learned mastercam last year and 6 months ago my company became an authorized dealer, and I took a course and am now a certified instructor.

I have traveled the world on machine business, and have been fortunate to have learned alot, from many different people.

My goal is to learn something new every day, that is what is so great about this forum.

George

I was happy to see Scott Bond's reply, that means I may not be the oldest person on this board.

I started my apprenticeship in 1970. I worked with manual machines until 1985 when we got a Tree 325 mill with a Dynapath control. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, I couldn't fathom machining being so much fun. I learned programming from scratch, using calculators, geometry, and Dynapath cal-assist.

In 1987 we got our first software package. Espirit, which was essentially worthless when it came to generating code for a part, since we could get no support. We got a lot of upgrades, but no support. At least then I could generate endpoints which let me write code easier than I could before.

Then, we got Mastercam 5.5 and things have been looking up since. More machines, more controls and more work.

As a footnote, Roy Howard if you are out there anywhere on the board, you know me. We went to high school together.

quote:

1995 - The Palomino closes

This has to be worse than the earthquake!!!

LOL biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

(this will add a few years to the total !!) smile.gif

Started doing tool design right out of college in 1957. (in Pacoima)

2 yrs US Army '60-'62 (Alaska)

Next 10 yrs various engineering and/or tool designing (San Fernando Valley)

1973 - Learn wax die moldmaking for investment foundries. (Oxnard/Port Hueneme)

1983 - Use CNC's - mostly hand programing for moldmaking. (Camarillo)

1993 - Find Mastercam !!!!!! Still moldmaking. (Oxnard)

5 yrs now with Wilson doing prototype golf and tennis development. (Chicago) smile.gifsmile.gif

cheers.gifcheers.gif

And yes, 35 years ago the trade was going to 'die' but we are still here!!

got bored in high school, decided getting a degree (at state expence biggrin.gif ) would make a god challenge. Machining seemed likeable, got into some courses and fell in love with it. Coming up on the one year mark, thanks to colorado's "progressive" child labor laws can't get work in a shop. Hope to finish my degree and go on to engineering school where a firsthand knowlege of manufacturing should pay big dividends. wink.gif

3 Years - CNC Router Operater

6 Years - CNC Router Programmer

Could not get along with new bosslady, quit job.

1 Year - Machine Shop Set-UP Person.

Dumb bosslady got demoted, new bossman asked me to come back to work.

5 more years - CNC Programmer

I've been abusing Mastercam since version 6, and I have only scratched the surface.

It looks like BerTau is a leader !

Personally I like to work near the experienced man.

I was always curious and with a lust for smthn new to borrow ,always putting my nose at every hole and corner to borrow some knowledge and never refuse to help somebody with some little that I have.

Near me works some great guy moldmaker 67 years old it is a pleasure to work near this great man.

So vast knowledge in so many fields .

I love this men and will do for him anithing !

I also love to read the ancient books ,like a book Shop Theory 1934 edition printed for Henry Ford Trade School !

Lovely book and worth to read !

Long live veteran machinists!

Iskander teh learning every day !

Midwest !

I started programming on Auracad- Auramill.

Loved this little thing and love Macs .

Now I have Macintosh emulators like Fusion and Basilisk and somebody gave me Auracad and it works under emulator !

A sort of nostalgy ,you know.

But I can not understand how we worked with Aura and did rather complex things .

Time has changed.

And a pity that Aura is dead !

Iskander s!z I miss the smiling Mac picture while booting ...

quote:

As a footnote, Roy Howard if you are out there anywhere on the board, you know me. We went to high school together.

If he's the Roy Howard that I'm thinking of, he works (owns?) Axsys Inc, the local Detroit MC distributor.

Thad

boy, reading all these posts suddenly makes me feel verrrry green - but also very thankful i found this forum. i started in 94 running cnc mills and lathes as a way of making some extra cash for those high school nights. here it is almost 10 years later and still with the same company. after graduating from high school in 95, went to work full time on 3rd shift while going to school during the day - what a boring shift. i managed to read every manaul available on our Haas verticals and Mori horizontal and lathes. then i needed a class to fill my credits and stumbled across this Mastercam class. it dealt with computers and looked fairly interesting so i signed up. after one semester with Jesse Sprayberry (who had been using Mastercam since the beginning of its existence) teaching the class, i fell in love with the software and convinced the owners to purchase the software here at the shop. unfortuneatly he passed away after the 2nd semester of the class. anyways, here i sit now programming our machines with Mastercam for production runs as well as our CMM's with PCDMIS.

once again.... THANKS TO ALL THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE WHO MAKE THIS FORUM WHAT IT IS - GREAT!!!

Wow, do I feel old.

I started trade school almost 28 years ago. Been making parts for special machines ever since. Started hand writing G code lathe programs in 1990. Studied 12 quarters of math at community college. Studied custom macro programming in four and five axis. Have machined all materials from plastics to refractories. (What's the dog years ratio for tantalum, platinum, or quartz?) Have drilled .008" holes in quartz with 5 axis positioning via macro read spreadsheet data on Mazak Integrex.

Mastercam beginner; Lathe / Mill 3, 9 mo.

Go nubies! Best thing you can do for the trade is keep learning and doff losy employers; don't give it away.

I started with Mill Level 3, V6.3 back in '94 or '95. I had an ID degree and a background in various prototyping shops. I actually had my first exposure to CAD (I think it was Bruning CAD?) back in school, in '86 or so, and worked with a CNC mill in '88.

Until a couple years ago, all of my experience was with wood or plastics. I didn't start programming for metals until very recently. After 8 years or so, I'm constantly amazed at how much more there still is to learn.

Wow, not sure I remember that far back! Started manual programming right out of trade school back in '75. Went with MDSI's Compact II time share for a couple of years. Years later started with a company on Smart Cam, then Esprit, and now in a small Aircraft part company with Mastercam for the last year and a half or so. Quite a jump in capability since '75!!

Steve

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Skeetboy25,

quote:

Hope to finish my degree and go on to engineering school where a firsthand knowlege of manufacturing should pay big dividends.

Dude, that's huge! I wish we had a few of you around here. It woudl certainly make many things easier on everyone involved in manufacturing and assembly. Best of luck to you. Keep coming in here because as you've seen there's thousands of machining years experience in here. You can't buy that kind of knowledge base.

quote:

What's the dog years ratio for tantalum, platinum, or quartz?)

Best way I've found to machine tantalum so far is to sandwich it in aluminum. The backs of your holes won't explode. Tantalum, yuck! That stuff is almost as heavy as gold. like a 5"x3"x.5" piece weighs around 4 pounds! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

[ 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Mastercam Mill Level 3 with Solids arrived July 11, 2002. Been in heaven ever since.

7 years exp. using 2D CAD [CASMATE PRO 6.5]

7 years of CNC Router exp.

Been involved with mold making, production work, blueprinting, extrusion die design.

P.S. Life at work would have been so much easier had we had MC earlier!

[*]1988-1993 Worked and paid way through college - Mechanical Engineering

[*]1993 Tired of being broke - time to get a job

[*]1993-2001 Ventilation/Manufacturing Engineer for a plastics molding company

[*]1995 Married, no kids, wife has job

[*]1998 1st kid

[*]2000 Wife quits job to stay at home with 1st kid

[*]Oct 2001 1st CAM software: Mastercam Mill Level 3 ver 8.1.1

[*]Oct 2001 2nd kid, wife still at home, no job

[*]Feb 2002 1st CNC machine: 5-axis router

[*]2002-Present Engineering, CNC programming, setup, part-time operator with same plastics company.

[*]Still tired of being broke, but enjoy work.

We have done some amazing things with Mastercam and the router so far...mostly trimming plastics, foam patterns and some aluminum work.

I still get to program, setup and operate the router for all molds, patterns and other special projects. This forum has been invaluable in helping me down the rough road of a new start-up.

[ 07-09-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: wildcat99 ]