Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT?how many years how many shops

MACHINEMASTERG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started in the early 80's. Been thru about 4 or 5 shops as real jobs, and many more thru contracting and part time jobs. All in all, I've put chips on the floors of about 20 shops, the longest was I think about 6 or 7 years. So I guess I am right up there with 20 shops in 20+ years.

Yes, the benifits of seeing 20 different ways of doing something has it's advantages, but there's a lot to be said for stability and commitment.

'Rekd teh best of both worlds

Four shops in seven years. Been with my present employer the longest. I have a tendancy to go where I am going to benefit most as far as developing my skills. Been offered more money to do less work but I like running the machine I program and programming the machine I run. If you know what I mean. I have been told that the only way to make more money in this industry is to move from shop to shop. Is this why people move from job to job? Lets add that sub thread to this thread.......Was money an issue in changing jobs?

6 shops in 25 years. 15 years (and no watch) where I am now. I love the stabitily but dislike the stagnancy. I believe a certain amount of moving around is a necesity to becoming a well rounded tradesman.

It is interesting to note my oldest boy is 16 years old and I have been at this job for 15 years. I guess that is why I haven't moved in a while.

Phil

maybe it is time to get that Fat Boy and head out to see Paul in Wi.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Money was an issue at a few of them but mainly I ceased to be challenged or utilized to my full potential.

I was with one company 3 years, two of them for 2 years, then in and out of the rest of them. I've been "terminated" once and that was because new ownership took over the shop I was working in and as soon as I showed them how things worked around the shop, they showed me the door after they told me they were going to keep me.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

james i was surprized to see that you have only been doing this a little over 10 years you must be a fast learner

School, aggressive learner, motivated to do better, some breaks here and there, etc...