Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spaceball 5000

Paul McGarr

I'm thinking about buying a Spaceball 5000, but I'd like to hear some opinions from other Mastercam users before I spend ~$550 on it. I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I am looking for feedback from people using this with v9.

I can only imagine that it will save a lot of time manipulating solid models.

Pros / Cons?

Paul McGarr

i used to use a logitech spaceball but gave it up after realizing that the right mouse functions in V9 did just about everything i wanted. i had a few buttons slaved to tasks but didn't use them as much as i thought. i used to work with this dude that used the spaceball with his feet. i swear to ( fill in personal deity here ). he would take off his shoes at work and go to town with the thing. i tried it but was warned that if i removed my shoes at work we'd get calls from the EPA... biggrin.gif

Mayday,

I'm right handed too. I use my mouse in my left hand, simply because of the number pad. I don't have to let go of the mouse every time I wanna type a number, or do the 'cross-over/reach-around/lazy-susan' thingy to reach the number pad with my left hand. (Besides, how many people know 10-key with their left hand???) Everyone I've taught to use a computer now uses their left hand. I have even converted a couple of individuals after they were 'forced' to use my station for a few days.

Not to mention it's great for TFC, with the arrow keys right there... it's teh pwn!

'Rekd teh Keyboard Basics 101

Does the mouse still work normally when using the ball? Can you have both installed and just grab whichever one you want?

What seems to be the greatest advantage to the ball?

Would it be the way to go for Mill3 + Lathe + Solids? 100% mill turn programming.

Thanks, Harry

LOL @ A-ron. Don't give up. It will become second nature within a couple of days. Then you'll be like me, mouse in each hand, keyboard under left foot, spaceball under right foot, 2 monitors, and a broom up my arse so I can swat the roaches.

'Rekd teh B.U.M.A.

In Mastercam the mouse works normally. When you touch the ball it takes over. When you are done with the ball, you left click the mouse and the ball releases control to the mouse.

In Solidworks, the mouse and Spaceball both work at the same time.

Well I am left Handed and use the mouse with the right hand. I look at it this way have you seen left handed micrometers, veriners or such it is all made forthe right hand masses. You can get alot of this left handed but cost alot more.

I have just got ot the point I cna do things right handed or left handed. I got certifed years ago in Mig, Tig, and Stick welding Lefthanded and Righthanded. A whole lot rusty now but can still tig Stainless pretty good left or right handed.

Crazy Millman

You know that left handed people use the right side ofthe brain and right handed people use the left side of the brain.

I'm still laughing from that one Rekd. Good thing I don't have a cement wall behind me. I too was forced to use the owner's station with the lefty mouse at the old shop and even switched the buttons around and it was still awkward to say the least. Maybe I'll try to ease into it slowly at home and give it a second shot. -The lefty mouse that is...

Ball sounds pretty cool.

quote:

You know that left handed people use the right side ofthe brain and right handed people use the left side of the brain.

I've always thought that Dynamic Rotate must have been optimized for the brain half that I'm ignoring. smile.gif

quote:

OK brain, I don't like you and you don't like me...something...and then I'll get back to killing you with beer. HJS
cheers.gif

quote:

I'm right handed too. I use my mouse in my left hand, simply because of the number pad. I don't have to let go of the mouse every time I wanna type a number, or do the 'cross-over/reach-around/lazy-susan' thingy to reach the number pad with my left hand.

I gave it a go, for 5 minutes or so. Forearm started hurting. I think I use the keyboard shortcuts for cut, copy, paste too much for that to work out. Microsoft designed those shortcuts for the right mouse world.

Lol, you said "reach-around."

Thad, I've found that I am using the keypad sequentially more than any shortcuts, and it's easy to reach the shortcuts on a 'one time' basis with my right hand.

Besides, when I'm WMAO and my left hand starts hurting, I can switch over to the right hand and continue.

'Rekd

ooooooooooo my first post. I use the nostromo n30 mouse and n50 speed pad. they are for high speed gaming but work great for drafting. they fit my large hands very well. they are made by belkin.

been lurking around for awhile. own v9.1 router autocad 2000 3d studio r3 and other softwares. just starting to learn mastercam and are a wood guy. I use mastercam for my 102in by 52in router.

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like it's just a matter of preference. I think I'll give it a try and see for myself. I am left handed, so I should feel right at home. smile.gif

For those of you who want it, here is a link to a keyboard with the number pad on the left...

http://www.fentek-ind.com/modular.htm

I'm sure there are many of these, this is just the first result from a Google search.

Paul

Well les welcome and yes I agree is a great place. I ask you find something like this with the other cam systems out there. I like the idea of you help me and i will help you. Well you will be suprised in no time what you will pick and learn. I will also say if you got the time go back through the old threads some really good ideas in there I have been copying all the adivce and making a Word Doc and printing it out for My growing Mastercam Book up to like 14 pages so far from here. Got a book over 1000 pages right now with posts, tips, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Good Luck

------------Crazy millman--------------