Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Do you see anything wrong?

Thoob

I'm sorry i don't follow. 1" radial?

What has to 1"? What about other dimensions?

What I did, not sure if its right, I went into properties and changed it to undefined tool and put the actual diameter in. Not sure why I would have to do this but it seems to work as it brought the threadmill to the proper size.

• Like 1

First, make sure that you delete the centerline. It isn't needed on a custom tool shape. Just the outside profile starting at the origin, and drawing the outer shape of the tool.

The help file has notes about drawing the tool at 1" on the diameter, so that the shape can be scaled. I recommend you do not do this. Just draw the tool profile at actual size, and make sure you enter the correct diameter when defining the tool.

• Like 1

I understand the centerline isn't needed, however it does not affect the custom tool does it?

I did do what you said about drawing the actual profile and defining the actual diameter. I mentioned that in my last post so I will assume its ok, lol. Thanks guys.

In the case of a form or multistep tool, I'm guess that this would be the largest diameter or the diameter at the tool tip?

Yes, but it depends on what you are trying to do, and if you need to use cutter compensation with the tool or not. Most of the form tools I've used were for ports, so I would usually just enter the diameter as the "reamer" portion of the tip and call it good...

I always draw my tools with the centerline and have no problems. I draw all my tools to scale then scale the compensation point to 1". I will post the way I do it for anyone that finds this thread and needs to know how to create a custom tool.

So if I were drawing a .750" threadmill...

Draw the radius of the tool to scale and dimension the point where you will be compensating from...

draw_tool_zps1138b037.png

After you have the tool drawn select all the geometry and Xform>>>Scale. In the scale value field enter 1.0/"the point of your tool you will be using compensation from". In this case the tool is a .750" threadmill. The rad of the compensation point is .375". So the value to be entered is 1.0/.375.

scale_zpsc5eb4174.png

This will yield this:

final_zpsaf5305fc.png

Save the file into your Mill/Tools folder. You can leave the centerline and the dimensioning. It won't make any difference.

Now in the tool settings I would use a key cutter for this tool. This allows me to enter the flute width (thickness of the cutting head). This is just for reference for the next guy who has to find the tool I used in our mess of a tool cabinet. Click the "Custom File" radio button and select to the tool file you just saved.

tool_param_zpsea521656.png

I don't use undefined tools. If I am using a port tool I want to use a dwell. So I will define my custom tool as a counterbore. This gives me options similar to the counterbore to use with my port tool. I already mentioned that I use a keyway for my threadmills to be able to define the head thickness along with the diameter. I like having tools defined more closely to what I am using. You cannot do this with an undefined tool.

It's not like you have to break out the trig calculator to scale a tool anyway MCM ;)