Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT - Hourly vs. Salary

Mark H

quote:

I'm not on hourly or salary. My job ranges from making strategic decisions to scrubbing the toilet.

I almost never get a day off. I've had only long weekend vacations in the last 10 years. I usually work at least 60 hours per week with no overtime.

I have no workers comp or unemployment insurance.

I'm a business owner.

Ditto.....

I have never had a paid vacation in my entire life.......

When I had employees I would give 6 paid hollidays, 1 wk after 1 year and then 2 wks after 2 years.

Oh the Irony of it all.......giving out all those paid hollidays and vacations and never getting one myself mad.gif

Ah, well, such is the life of a business owner.

Rekd.....there are certain benifits for being self employed... biggrin.gif I just can't think of any at the moment. heh

Sometimes I sure would like to just put in my 40 and go home..... tongue.gif

Murlin

All that said, I do like owning my own business. When it's bad, it's really difficult. But there's no feeling like having and idea and then acting on it, and then seeing it work.

Despite the misperception, I don't think most business owners are in it for the money. They are in it for other things; a sense of freedom (note I said a sense, not the real thing!), etc.

HOURLY. 37.5hrs. normal workweek, but we run 24/7/364. A lot of weekend overtime, most holidays. A lot of coverage through the week because we "reorganized" (i.e. laid of 20% of the hourly workforce) several years ago. Time-and-a-half for overtime. Double-time was also reorganized out the door. Five weeks vacation a year, but due to a new hiring policy, we (old-timers)get an extra 5 weeks vacation as a onetime deal.

Salary, 35 hr/week. Out by 3:30 and gone fishing or scuba diving. Have not worked a single overtime hour in the last ten months. Use to work 60-70 hr/week being hourly, then I woke up. Guy I use to work with worked same hours with me and then would clean the office at night three times a week for $90. One night he went to bad and never woke up. Age 27. This changed my life. I will not work another Saturday as long as I live.

I did get lucky with this job that I have. Make more money working 35 hours than I did working 70 hours.

Hourly here, would have been salary if I would have taken the engineering gig here but who wants to look up mill spec. till the wee hours for salary? 2X for over 60, have never worked over 60 though.

I have the utmost respect for the business owners out there, it really takes guts, and if I have learned one thing about myself is that I can be a chronic procrastinator. Bad mojo if you own your own biz. wink.gif I have to give my sincere thanks to all you entrepreneurs, America wouldn’t be the same without you. cheers.gif

Clayton

+1000 Charles,

quote:

But there's no feeling like having and idea and then acting on it, and then seeing it work.

That's the joy! Having that freedom to use your brain to it's fullest and make stuff work.

However there are slim days (and weeks) where punching a clock sounds oh so much easier...and probably profitable!

eek.gif

• 10 months later...

Sub contract here.

Was employed there to do apprenticship for 4.5years then 1.5 years on a wage as tradesmen before going sub contractor.

negotiated for paid public hollidays but no anual holidays flat rate per hour be it 8hrs a week or 80 hrs per week. frown.gif

but at least the head man is good to work for otherwise i wouldnot have been here for over 7 years

Salaried for 42 hours/week minimum. But! If you put in less than 40 hours - you get paid "hourly". No comp time and the average is around 50 hours/week.

That is only my "day" job and does not include running my one-person job shop in the evenings and weekends (whatever I have left from the "day" job").

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...If you put in less than 40 hours - you get paid "hourly"...

What a rip-off!!!! Especially for those weeks when you're workin' 60-70+ hours.

My company is AWESOME in this regard for us programmers. I've worked 30+ hours straight on several occasions and they are generous with the comp time.

Old original post...

Hourly here....Salary here is like shooting yourself in the foot.

1.5x over 40, and some personal time...unpaid vaction smile.gif

Salary here if I remember when I was offered it was 40 straight and 1.5x after 45hrs. Comp. time I heard got pulled not sure.

The big kicker is hourly paid every week salary every-other week. And if you are in a salary position they can give you the boot without reason...basically. If your are hourly and they decide to "eliminate" your position you are offered any open positions on the floor. Salary...your position is eliminated...your out the door on your a**.

Hourly...we get raises. Not always the best but it's something. Salary hasn't have pay increases for like 2yrs+ I think.

But being salary here is a status symbol. Oh well you're a salaried employee, you must know all the anwsers to everything then.

But with that said you have it made here being hourly IMHO

cheers.gif

Salary here.

We get 15 days vacation with 5 of those being short notice days. (you can get them with only one day notice). Paid holidays.

1.5x for every thing past 45.

The week is set for pretty much 8.75 hour days and I haven't worked a weekend in about 3 years.

Of course I been here for almost 18 so I get out of it most overtime anyway.