Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS vs rotaing geometry to system origin.

brandon b

Whats your preference when importing a non mcx file. You know when you open it up and your model is floating out in space.

* Do you draw lines and analyse the angle and rotate to you think your squared up

* Use wcs

* other

What are the simplest ways you have found to do it.

I keep flip flopping back and forth. WCS is quick and easy at first, but later on in the programming it can get confusing really quick. Especially on large models . Just rotating the gviews can be confusing since it rotates around the system origin.

How about using the WCS to orientate the motel to the system origin?

Whenever I import a model that is in "model space", I move the geometry to the origin that I will be using, and the "top" construction plane represents the most obvious "top" for the part. The the follow-up WCS make more sense. It usually only takes a couple of minutes, so it really doesn't matter what method you use. I just try to be consistent and make my files easier to understand for anyone that may use my file at some point down the road.

Carmen

I'm the same as Rotary Ninja (I dig that username by the way... LOL). I usually orientate the model to the natural top and start programming. However, if the model is part of an assembly (and is a production part that is typically going to get updated/modified/revised), then I use WCS.

I do the same as Carmen, place the part at system origin for OP1, then using WCS to get around the part

The only variation to would be if it was a part that was going onto a rotary, I would orient the part on the system origin for the rotary op and use the WCS to do everything else

The only variation to would be if it was a part that was going onto a rotary, I would orient the part on the system origin for the rotary op and use the WCS to do everything else

Yup - here to.

Been doing this since day 1. Probably read one of your answers John telling someone how to do it :lol:

This way we can verify the part and post correct code

Since I build molds I always orient the "0" corner to Y+ by rotating or translating. I generally follow that method for inserts, plates and so forth unless I have a difficult to see detail I want at the front. I tried the WCS method but somehow it just never sat right with me. Must be one of those old dog new tricks thing at work. That and the risk of making mold components reversed. Ugh....

Having come from Cimatron, when I first started using Mastercam I never moved geometry. I left the original geometry alone and created wcs.

After using Mastercam for a while, realizing the issues with verify, using stl for rest roughing, etc, I always move the geometry. Less hassle in the end.

the most frustrating thing is when im done programming and already started machining a part and then you get a revised model and have to re-import and remember how you set up your wcs.

They seem to do this to me alot.

You're doing it wrong then. The beauty of using WCS's is that when revised models come nothing needs to moved or redefined,

so long as it's exported from the same coordinate system.

When you start moving stuff around you lose context with the rest of the assembly.

I'm the same as Rotary Ninja (I dig that username by the way... LOL). I usually orientate the model to the natural top and start programming. However, if the model is part of an assembly (and is a production part that is typically going to get updated/modified/revised), then I use WCS.

Here's my old avatar... ;)

rotary-ninja.gif

the most frustrating thing is when im done programming and already started machining a part and then you get a revised model and have to re-import and remember how you set up your wcs.

They seem to do this to me a lot.

Then you would really benefit from using WCS exclusively on those types of parts. Your model never moves from where the engineers created it. So when there is a revision you can just import the new model in the exact same position and just repick your machining geometry.

I do the same as Carmen, place the part at system origin for OP1, then using WCS to get around the part

I setup my rotary work like this also.

I try to use WCS so that future revisions are easy to bring in but it's not always possible.

I prefer to have complex 5X parts oriented TOP/TOP/TOP

If you have SolidWorks this is easy to do.

Bring your customer model into SW and create a co-ordinate system that orients the part

in your desired Mastercam position.

Then export that using the co-ordinate system.

The model will come into Mastercam correctly oriented

When you get a revised model from your customer, mate it to the orginal in a SW assembly

then export it out to Mastercam using the SW co-ordinate system.

• Like 1

Don't mean to hijack :smoke: but....

How do you export out of SW? I have never used the co-ordinate system in SW but think I got. When I open it in mastercam it comes in the original orientation?

build the co-ordinate system in SW with the X, Y and Z pointing the way you want the part oriented in Mastercam

then File/Save As and choose the parasolid file extention X_B or X_T

then select the Options tab at the bottom of the Save As page

Selection the "Output coordinate system drop down, choose your coordinate system and save the file.

You can have multiple coordinate systems I your SW file... the drop down will let you choose the one you want.

This also works saving STL files out of SW which is very useful for converting solid models to STL files

for verify sessions

Thanks got it to work.

To answer the original question I use WCS exclusivly. I design all the fixturing for the parts I program in SW. So when I bring my assembly into mcam from SW I just set my WCS to what ever I need to program.

The fixture, clamps ,part etc

This way whenever I need to make changes in SW to the fixture or anything in the assembly it comes in to mcam in the same spot as the original file. This makes change recognition very simple.

Position the Part in MCX like you would in the Machine, Use WCS from there. Or if in the 4th axis, just use Rotate Plane

As for What tool to use Dynamic WCS is the best, but I use whatever is handy, ie: if there is geometry or a solid face why reinvent the wheel, wcs bu geom/solidface etc.