Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

x7 issues

melliott6

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (6.1.7601)

Service Pack 1

64-bit

Memory: 6288952 KB

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Mill X7 SP2

Am I the only one having issues with mcx7 crashing on a regular basis?

I regenerate a stock model – poof!

I unblank an entity – poof!

I change a parameter – poof!

And on and on….

Here is how it goes:

I email my mastercam support with my problem.

They tell me to send them a z2g file.

I email the file.

They tell me it works fine for them. They say, “I know we have many customers that are using it, and so far we have not had reports of crashes. We use it daily in support, and find it stable as well.”

The end.

Am I an anomaly? Am I the only frustrated x7 user?

I find it hard to believe that I am the ONLY one having issues.

K2csq7 - I did contact my reseller. They are the only ones I have dealt with so far.

Machineguy - My dealer is involved. They are the ones that told me they have no problems.

My hasp is on my computer. I will have my IT dept check on the antivirus.

Funny though how x6 didn't have issues crashing when I did some of the things I am doing in x7 that cause it to crash.

Hockey Guy - I just started X7 and it is the first part I am trying to program.

Gcode / CJep - No, I didn't use migration. I have heard bad things about it. I did try to use the x6 config file but it didn't work so I opened x6 and x7 and changed all the x7 settings individually to match x6.

I also had my reseller on a web meeting look at my settings (file locations, etc)

Definitely sounds like Access-Rights issue, or Anti-Virus blocking access - had happened to us, and on a couple installs I've done. Sometimes IT departments will change access settings on specific folders,

make sure you have read/write privleges to shared McamX6, my mcamx7, and mcamx7 under program files.

And make sure in your config there aren't files on the network somewhere that you don' have read/write privs. to

Something got screwed up on the install. Sounds like a Dll file is missing, or its looking at something and not finding what it needs.

YOU may need to do a complete fresh install. That means whiping out all the X7 files. Its been talked about here on this fourm on how to do that correctly.

Machineguy

Yea, What Tyler said first.!!!!!

Definitely sounds like Access-Rights issue, or Anti-Virus blocking access - had happened to us, and on a couple installs I've done. Sometimes IT departments will change access settings on specific folders,

make sure you have read/write privleges to shared McamX6, my mcamx7, and mcamx7 under program files.

And make sure in your config there aren't files on the network somewhere that you don' have read/write privs. to

For Mastercam, you should have "Full Control" over the 'my mcamx7' and 'shared mcamx7' folders, not just Read/Write permission...

the first thing I would try is to move my config file out of

C:\Users\ your login name here \Documents\my mcamx7\CONFIG\mcamx.config

Then restart Mastercam. This will generate a clean default config file.

If this fixes your problems, edit the file to your tastes... do not overwrite you X7 config

with your old X6 config

@Melliott6: It is my daily pain...Whenever I run the verify, errors just pop up - no explanation, just namely errors that can`t calculate this and that, or intersections or ends for beginning, or for Christ` sake anything Mastercam can come up with.

Consider this: Making parts for a customer and at his complaints we just tell him to use our parts as is, we are aware of the issues and look into them, eventualy we`ll find some solutions but in the meantime they have to check their pretentions and expectations, seemingly to high....

When it comes to computers I will admit I haven't had the time to keep up with the rapidly changing technology so I am relatively ignorant. But I fail to see the connection between X7 throwing me out when I unblank an entity, move an operation up in the order of my op manager, regenerate a toolpath etc... and my anti-virus software. If there were it seems to me that I would get thrown out EVERY time I try to do any of these things and not randomly. Once thrown out I can restare mcam and it works fine.... for a while. I have full access to all my folders, didn't use the migration tool, didn't copy X6 config file to X7, and still get kicked. My IT guy is going to disable my anti-virus for a couple of days to see how X7 runs. Hoping it will make a difference but am skeptical.

When it comes to computers I will admit I haven't had the time to keep up with the rapidly changing technology so I am relatively ignorant. But I fail to see the connection between X7 throwing me out when I unblank an entity, move an operation up in the order of my op manager, regenerate a toolpath etc... and my anti-virus software. If there were it seems to me that I would get thrown out EVERY time I try to do any of these things and not randomly. Once thrown out I can restare mcam and it works fine.... for a while. I have full access to all my folders, didn't use the migration tool, didn't copy X6 config file to X7, and still get kicked. My IT guy is going to disable my anti-virus for a couple of days to see how X7 runs. Hoping it will make a difference but am skeptical.

Please have your IT guy check the Video Card settings. It sounds like there is some conflict between Mastercam and the graphics chip or driver. I know several people have had problems when they have both "onboard" or integrated video, and a separate Graphics Card. This is especially true on laptops. There is a "power-saving" feature that may be trying to use your integrated video chip, instead of the Graphics Card...