Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need a programmer!

Bob W.

Robert, you need a sponsor and your employer would need show you have an ability they have a difficult filling. All pretty easy to do and then they help you apply for the I-9 with either a EB-2 or EB-3 status you need for immigration. Best thing is come to the US with a Tourist Visa which are normally 6 months to get the interview and everything all worked out, then apply for the work visa and go from there. It is much easier to get the I-9 once in the US verses out of the US something most immigrants are not aware of. Did the same with my wife she came as a tourist and we got married and then applied for her Green card and then she become a citizen.

Sounds like a perfect fit for someone. Wish you were right around the corner would have stopped in and talked to you today about it. :geek: Good luck in your search and know someone will help you go in the direction you are wanting.

+100000000K

I've been to the USA four times. Each, I was offered at least one job. My first visit to So Cal, resulted in me being offered four jobs (no kidding), and the last two times (So Cal and North Carolina) resulted in three job offers.

The shortage of skilled staff is the same down here. I've been so tempted to move to the USA though :)

Robert, you need a sponsor and your employer would need show you have an ability they have a difficult filling. All pretty easy to do and then they help you apply for the I-9 with either a EB-2 or EB-3 status you need for immigration. Best thing is come to the US with a Tourist Visa which are normally 6 months to get the interview and everything all worked out, then apply for the work visa and go from there. It is much easier to get the I-9 once in the US verses out of the US something most immigrants are not aware of. Did the same with my wife she came as a tourist and we got married and then applied for her Green card and then she become a citizen.

Ron is correct here. Being from Canada you don't even need a visa to enter the US...one advantage there. I am not sure you even need an I-9.

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians/canadians-requiring-visas.html

sounds like a fun opportunity...small, growing shops are the best.

The shortage of good talent is no joke.

While this statement is true, there is a lot more that goes into it other than just not having the volume of people entering this trade like in the past. The quality people aren't always given the opportunities to advance. A large part of the skill gap is of our own doing.

The Corporation I work for is closing this facility and moving the equipment to another facility in Utah.

They are paying me a HUGE bonus to stay until the transition is complete and also offering me a very nice position and the new facility.

However I have been debating whether or not I want to continue working for a huge corporation in which the "Big Wigs" don't even really know who I am or what I do. hmmm

tozmaster, do you mind if I ask who you work for and where the new facility is?

JMC for working in the US the I-9 may not be needed for people from Canada, but if it is better to do ti the right way verse being here 5, 10 or even 20 years thinking you are okay and thrown out of the country like many have been over the years. We have seen mothers and fathers thrown out for not having the correct piece of paper. Worked and paid taxes for over 20 years and now trying to get back to their families illegally, because the government has no record of them.

tozmaster, do you mind if I ask who you work for and where the new facility is?

Elmer,

The Corporation is PCC (precision cast parts)

The Facility in Utah isn't new however PCC just purchased them a couple years ago.

It is located in Spanish Fork and they use CATIA not Mastercam

Cheers

Update: I have received numerous responses but I am currently cramming to get a mold running on the machine and then I will work at responding. I would prefer to keep it local if possible and I really wouldn't want to move someone in here from another state or country :-) I really appreciate the responses and the interest!

A few of the items I didn't mention that I would like the person to have familiarity with are the ISO9000 and AS9100 (?) standards and the process for becoming certified in both. Certification for both is high on my list for the short term. I know it is a lengthy process but I would like to get started down that path quickly. I would like to pursue aerospace work in the future because I feel that the equipment and capabilities I have assembled in this shop would be well suited for it.

Bob, I hope this isn't prying too deep, but I am curious as to why you want to do 10% profit sharing with an employee, and be completely transparent with your books and not have them be an actual partner?

I understand not wanting a partner just fine (I don't have any), but 10% of net profits going to one employee seems like a lot, and it just seems to me, all that your asking for in a guy, and then showing all your cards gives them sufficient ammo to start their own shop. Seems a 10% partnership would more then likely keep them around, comparably speaking anyways.

Most companies I know that do profit sharing to 10% net or LESS, to then be dispersed amongst ALL of the employees, sometimes evenly, and other times based on the employees performance/value etc.

FWIW 60k/yr is what I pay a guy to do setups, measure parts etc, but no programming, for a 27 pallet fms and twin spindle live tooled lathe with gantry loader.

Bob, I hope this isn't prying too deep, but I am curious as to why you want to do 10% profit sharing with an employee, and be completely transparent with your books and not have them be an actual partner?

I understand not wanting a partner just fine (I don't have any), but 10% of net profits going to one employee seems like a lot, and it just seems to me, all that your asking for in a guy, and then showing all your cards gives them sufficient ammo to start their own shop. Seems a 10% partnership would more then likely keep them around, comparably speaking anyways.

Most companies I know that do profit sharing to 10% net or LESS, to then be dispersed amongst ALL of the employees, sometimes evenly, and other times based on the employees performance/value etc.

FWIW 60k/yr is what I pay a guy to do setups, measure parts etc, but no programming, for a 27 pallet fms and twin spindle live tooled lathe with gantry loader.

I could see it, thought about this approach a lot actually today. If i can get a guy that can bring in an extra 3-400k in profit, Hell thats worth a 40k bonus any day of the week. It seems like a alot better approach then paying a guy 80-100k a yr and not knowing if he's gonna pan out or not. My boss did this approach with me yrs before I bought the business from him. It worked very well for him. He didn't work hard at all, and I run like crazy. Of course I was getting more than 10%. It's a very controlled cost this way.

For me the 10% sharing has a few advantages.

1. It gives the employee a vested interest in the success of my shop. They know that if their efforts result in the company taking off and rising to the next level their salary will follow suit. How many folks work at jobs where they feel that no matter how much they work their @ss off and go the extra mile they will never get more than a 10% raise, if any? Sharing the net eliminates that sentiment and changes the thought process to "what can I do to make this shop more efficient and more profitable so I can earn more income". That is exactly how I think and I want this person to think the same way.

2. How many shops can a person go to work for where in 10-15 years they feel that they could be making $200k per year? If you felt there was that income potential would you be interested in working for that shop, even if it was out in the countryside and chickens strolled in on nice days when the doors are up? What if the shop was small but had grown its revenues by 25% annually for the last 5 years? It levels the playing field between me and the larger shops in the talent search.

3. I know $60k is low but I am a small shop and it gives me a little protection if things slow down, yet still rewards the individual if they have the impact I expect them to have. I am not a selfish individual. Remember, if I am paying this employee $200k down the road I will be doing very well and EVERYBODY will be happy :-)

4. I will expect a lot from this individual. They will not simply be an employee that clocks in at 8 and clocks out at 5. I am looking for help in every aspect of this company from hiring, guiding the ISO certification process, programming parts, running machines, etc... They will be a partner in every sense of the word except the sharing of company assets and having legal say in business decisions.

Disadvantages:

1. They know everything about my company including all of the customers and financial details. There will be a great deal of trust there but I have nothing to hide. I am confident in my capabilities and abilities and I am not worried about someone heading out, starting up shop and competing with me. One can't compete with me with a Haas in their garage and one isn't going to head out and buy a new horizontal machine so they can. There is a lot more to running a shop than making parts and most people just don't want to deal with all of that. Not to mention the all-nighters, 80 hour weeks, working every weekend, no vacations, etc... for the first few years while they build a clientele and get things off the ground. Then there is the mortgaging of the house to get started...

This is a very specific type of person I am looking for, not just a programmer/ machine operator so I feel the impact they could have entitles them to unique compensation. An actual partner has an interest in the business assets and legal say in business decisions. I have a lot of blood sweat and tears in this shop and I will not give that away unless someone has been here for years and I can honestly look in the mirror and say they deserve it for whatever reason.

• Like 4

While this statement is true, there is a lot more that goes into it other than just not having the volume of people entering this trade like in the past. The quality people aren't always given the opportunities to advance. A large part of the skill gap is of our own doing.

Couldn't have said this better. There has been a number of times in my past this has happened. I was hired with promise to train for programming only to have it not come to pass (for some reason or another). I am not saying that is not completely my own fault but believe me when I say I'd do whatever it took to be on it, If this person was willing to train. Best training in the world is on the job. I spend time reading these forums and educating myself by doing some HLE stuff but, no amount of this can replace creating a program and running to do self evaluation on how I could do it better and getting immediate feed back from someone who has more experience. I'm motivated enough to create my own opportunities when all else fails.

• Like 1