Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need 2 different Stocks for Lathe any suggestions?

crazy^millman

My current programming project is a 2 Ram 12 Station Per ram VTL. I have one part that is 92" at the largest dia and then my other part is 77.25" at the largest dia. They are both rings and I need to rough one part with one ram and rough the other part with the other ram. Yes I already tried to educate the customer that the larger part becomes the Master for the SFM on both parts and will be losing some efficiency not working on each part with each ram. The customer is always right so they want it programmed with Left Ram roughing the Bigger Diameter Part and the Right Ram Roughing the Smaller Diameter part. Then we will go into finishing with the same logic. Again I have already tried to explain my case and told it must be programmed this way.

Mastercam Lathe cannot have 2 different stocks for one chuck in the same machine group. I have to use one stock to define both parts, but I need to program this with 2 different workoffsets. I am using G54 for my upper ring which is smaller and then using G55 for my lower ring. I have made the Table Top the Point of Reference for both so now they set one tool and good to go for each head. Yes Sync codes come into play all done in regular lathe very easily and completely controlled using mr values. Yes 2 streams of Data for this machine with a Left Ram and Right Ram program. All again easily done inside of Mastercam. Problem is the stock needs to be made to cover both parts and every time something is done to the upper ring the lower ring operation go dirty and vice verse, even thought neither is touching or near the areas. I have too have them in the one operation group to get the sync code process down, if they are separate all bets are off on control.

Who else is doing something like this? Since this was a conventional machine converted into a CNC I know this the only one like it I have ever seen. Yes people make New CNC VTL's with Dual Rams, but like this one? Those that do dual turret work might have some suggestions, but again 99.99999% of the time you would be working with one part and making one part and syncing everything to one part. Here I need to think along the lines of 2 parts, but have a process designed only to support and function with one part which makes wrapping my brain around this one a challenge. I have done good so far programming the fixtures, and a part that went from 4 tons down to 1 ton using syncing and both rams and such, but no I need to get this working like instructed and well not finding an east or elegant solution to get here.

100% open to thought suggestions for ideas. Thanks for anyone that takes the time to respond or offer up a suggestion.

As I types this I might be able to do this with 2 machine groups after all. I keep track of my sync codes for each operation keep them in line through all the operations and yes it will be 2 different machine groups, but since I did a good job with my sync code process and having it dialed down even to the tool inspection I might get away with it. Worth a shot.

Maybe this gibberish will be helpful so I posted it anyway.

McamX8 allows you to create a stock model in lathe,...

You could maybe define the raw stock as a solid then bring it into stockmodel as a solid for the initial stock.

Out of one large piece of stock cut you two stock pieces with a dummy toolpath?

and there you have one that's really one?

If you write a dummy tpath using a cutoff tool you're going to have a kerf the width of the tool.

I don't think lathe will let you run a tpath with a zero width tool,...

Dynamic roughing needs stock. Now if I could just get that to work life would be so nice got a Defect Number for that. Broke it out into 2 machine groups. I am now attempting to define the stock in Mill and then use Mill to create a 2D Toolpath I will then see about converting to a Lathe toolpath. If all else fails it will be getting the normal old school roughing and call it done.

have you tried modeling it as one part, a big ring (the large part) with a boss in the center ( the small part)

Thought about that then I am back to one set of models for machining them and one set of models for my setup sheet operation sheets and such. Trying to keep it reasonable, but trust me charging someone for 5 hours of problems was not the highlight of my week.

Well I got my dynamic lathe to finally work. I had to make a Disc solid for my stock verse the ring for the wireframe I was using. I did try the ring solid and it was not working, but thought I will make this a solid with no through hole and see if it works and it did. Then I had to backplot the toolpath to get my tangent point I wanted to keep it from crashing into the $75k fixture, but I did get it working. Now I am off to bed to be back up at 5am to get my customer something they can finally run.

No JB you do not have my permission to link to this topic go get a real job!!!!!

Well I got my dynamic lathe to finally work. I had to make a Disc solid for my stock verse the ring for the wireframe I was using. I did try the ring solid and it was not working, but thought I will make this a solid with no through hole and see if it works and it did. Then I had to backplot the toolpath to get my tangent point I wanted to keep it from crashing into the $75k fixture, but I did get it working. Now I am off to bed to be back up at 5am to get my customer something they can finally run.

No JB you do not have my permission to link to this topic go get a real job!!!!!

Don't post the negatives crash or the cost next time if you are worried about JB.

just say, 'I figured out to do it with a bit of trial and error. '

then share your findings.

Sharing helpful information results in poor wages and eventual unemployment.

Dang, my job as trouble shooter, hands on trainer, R&D, Customer techincal support, Sr. Mould Designer,

Sr. Programmer, software trainer, sheduler, is up for grabs..... :(

Wish they told me 'NOT' being a team player was a prerequisite.......

...I can now compete for your jobs.

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure you never even applied for a position I posted a while back. You wouldn't last one day doing my job for SO many reasons.

:rofl: