Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Require operator input. "Yes" or "No"

savagkd

Guest MTB Technical Services

I think the idea would be better to NOT train. The fewer that know, make the wages for those that do know go up. I only train people to do what I do not want to do. 10 years ago every Tom's Harry Dick was working in a machine shop.

Very short-sighted approach that will bite you in the backside eventually.

The smartest approach would to be share everything you know with anyone who was willing to pay attention and listen.

You learn a lot yourself that way.

It also shows those above you that you have the ability to make current employees better employees.

• Like 6

The smartest approach would to be share everything you know with anyone who was willing to pay attention and listen.

You learn a lot yourself that way.

It also shows those above you that you have the ability to make current employees better employees.

It has served me well for over 25 years and how I make my living currently.

• Like 3

Just left a place with that culture (dont show teach or inform anyone else) lot of insecurity and stabbing. I wish them luck, that company will not have a chance at competing in very short order, you cannot grow using only ones knowledge.

JM2C

• Like 3

Training is absolutely key of course. Then there's those types of people that just won't take direction no matter how much you have patience in teaching them. Maybe it's just me...

Don't get me wrong, I take every opportunity to teach others anything and everything that I have learned. Even to the point were I know that later they'll be coming after my job, when they're ready(believe me, it's happened). Like a Chihuahua barking up to the big dogs, I just ignore it.

But still, share the knowledge.

I've gotten emails and calls from guys I taught up to 10 years ago thanking me for showing them what I thought was just common practice in our trade.

Some of them are doing better than I am.

I say, good for them. And for me, I get that rare good feeling that my time doing that training has helped someone else to be able to support themselves and their family.

That huge for me.

Never stop passing along what you know. My 2 cents.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if you ever found an answer to this or not. But don't know Haas real well, but I was pretty good on a Fadal many years ago and it had this function. We used to use it all the time. Anyway, I did some digging on the Haas and I found this. I hope it helps.

Operator Checking Questions

Ever thought how useful it would be to have your machine ask the operator a question – maybe to ensure the part has been turned over, or which number is to be engraved or any number of other possibilities?

The Haas control has a function called Interactive User Input which incorporated into vers. 11.20 and released in 2002 provides the programmer with a new M code, M109 that allows a G-code program to place a short prompt on the screen, get a single character input from the user and store it in a macro variable. The first 15 characters from the comment following the M109 will be displayed as a prompt in the lower left corner of the screen.

A macro variable in the range 500 through 599 must be specified by a P code. Note also that due to the look-ahead feature, it is necessary to include a loop in the program following the M109 to check for a non-zero response before continuing. The program can check for any character that can be entered from the keyboard by comparing with the decimal equivalent of the ASCII character.

Here are a few common characters:

A – 65 a – 97

B – 66 b – 98

C – 67 c – 99

N – 78 n – 110

Y – 89 y – 121

0 – 48 + – 43

1 – 49 – 45

2 – 50 * 42

3 – 51 / 47

The following sample program will ask the user a Yes/No question then wait for him to enter either a Y or an N. All other characters will be ignored.

N1 #501= 0. (CLEAR THE VARIABLE)

M109 P501 (Sleep 1 min?)

N5 IF [ #501 EQ 0. ] GOTO5 (WAIT FOR A KEY)

IF [ #501 EQ 89. ] GOTO10 (Y)

IF [ #501 EQ 78. ] GOTO20 (N)

GOTO1 (KEEP CHECKING)

N10 (A Y WAS ENTERED)

M95 (00:01)

GOTO30

N20 (AN N WAS ENTERED)

G04 P1. (DO NOTHING FOR 1 SECOND)

N30 (STOP)

M30

The following sample program will ask the user to select a number then wait for him to enter a 1, 2 or a 3. All other characters will be ignored.

O00234 (SAMPLE PROGRAM)

N1 #501= 0. (CLEAR THE VARIABLE)

M109 P501 (Pick 1, 2 or 3:)

N5 IF [ #501 EQ 0. ] GOTO5 (WAIT FOR A KEY)

IF [ #501 EQ 49. ] GOTO10 (1)

IF [ #501 EQ 50. ] GOTO20 (2)

IF [ #501 EQ 51. ] GOTO30 (3)

GOTO1 (KEEP CHECKING)

N10 (A 1 WAS ENTERED)

M95 (00:01)

GOTO30

N20 (A 2 WAS ENTERED)

G04 P5. (DO NOTHING FOR 5 SECONDS)

N30 (A 3 WAS ENTERED)

M30

• Like 1

Dan.W, M109 is the ticket. Just tested this. Works great.

G103 P1

N1 #505= 0. (Clear the variable)

N5 M109 P505

(Are you awake? Y or N)

IF [ #505 EQ 0. ] GOTO5 (Wait for a key)

IF [ #505 EQ 89. ] GOTO10 (Y)

IF [ #505 EQ 78. ] GOTO20 (N)

GOTO1 ; (Keep checking)

N10 (A Y was entered)

M30

N20 ( A N was entered)

G103

While I think this should be an absolute last resort to solving / preventing a problem, it is great information; just created a quick document with you program examples and stuck it in my Haas folder.

Thanks for sharing

C

America proves that I am right EVERYDAY. America is now competing against Chinese and Mexican labor because Americans were to short sighted in seeing the effects of training people their skills. Now look what you have, no union, no pension, low wages and no future. THAT is the effect of training people how to do your jobs. Machinists in the 70's were better off than they are now. At a shop I used to work at a customer brought in a large carbon fiber part that his previous shop could not figure out how to machine. It was a huge dollar job. After we spent weeks perfecting the job the customer came in to check it out. The day shift moron boasted about how we got it figured out and told the customer how we did it. The customer pulled the job, gave it back to his previous machine shop, with all of the information our day shift moron supplied him with. We lost big time just because that moron could not keep his big mouth shut.

To think for one minute that your comment makes ANY sense is LUDICROUS. Right now, anyone can run to youtube to figure out how to do complex 5-axis milling. How does that benefit you? You only limit yourself in your future achievements. If you are being kept in the same position, it is because you did not do what it takes to excel in others. If your employer is holding you back, find another. After all, what is keeping you there? No pension, no union low wages. I suggest you go and talk to Electricians and Plumbers and find out why their pay and benefits are so much higher. Does their trade require more skill? No! The reason is, they fight tooth and nail to keep intruders out.

If I spent 5 years to develop a product and sell it for $10, then show 1000 other people how to develop my product, what do you think is going to happen? They can sell it for a fraction of the price, because they did not have any development costs or troubleshooting.

Your comment is why I question whether or not most machinists are intelligent enough to feed themselves. They do EVERYTHING possible to throw away their livelihoods and then blame everyone else because they can't make enough money to feed themselves or their families. You REALLY need to think about your comment, and the implications it has for ALL of us skilled tradesmen that are fighting to keep this trade profitable. Right now we are in demand. But, we are only in demand if we refrain from giving away our skills. Did you notice that when there are fewer programmers that our pays tends to go up? Why do you think that is? LOL

America proves that I am right EVERYDAY. America is now competing against Chinese and Mexican labor because Americans were to short sighted in seeing the effects of training people their skills. Now look what you have, no union, no pension, low wages and no future. THAT is the effect of training people how to do your jobs. Machinists in the 70's were better off than they are now. At a shop I used to work at a customer brought in a large carbon fiber part that his previous shop could not figure out how to machine. It was a huge dollar job. After we spent weeks perfecting the job the customer came in to check it out. The day shift moron boasted about how we got it figured out and told the customer how we did it. The customer pulled the job, gave it back to his previous machine shop, with all of the information our day shift moron supplied him with. We lost big time just because that moron could not keep his big mouth shut.

To think for one minute that your comment makes ANY sense is LUDICROUS. Right now, anyone can run to youtube to figure out how to do complex 5-axis milling. How does that benefit you? You only limit yourself in your future achievements. If you are being kept in the same position, it is because you did not do what it takes to excel in others. If your employer is holding you back, find another. After all, what is keeping you there? No pension, no union low wages. I suggest you go and talk to Electricians and Plumbers and find out why their pay and benefits are so much higher. Does their trade require more skill? No! The reason is, they fight tooth and nail to keep intruders out.

If I spent 5 years to develop a product and sell it for $10, then show 1000 other people how to develop my product, what do you think is going to happen? They can sell it for a fraction of the price, because they did not have any development costs or troubleshooting.

Your comment is why I question whether or not most machinists are intelligent enough to feed themselves. They do EVERYTHING possible to throw away their livelihoods and then blame everyone else because they can't make enough money to feed themselves or their families. You REALLY need to think about your comment, and the implications it has for ALL of us skilled tradesmen that are fighting to keep this trade profitable. Right now we are in demand. But, we are only in demand if we refrain from giving away our skills. Did you notice that when there are fewer programmers that our pays tends to go up? Why do you think that is? LOL

You haven't been in this trade long have you? How did you learn your skills?

I don't get it... one minute you're giving great advise and potentially teaching the O.P. and others reading this post how to solve this problem, and the next you bash others that share their knowledge.

Did I miss something here?

Maybe I mistook the "(RU STUPID)" portion of your macro post as sarcasm. My fault.

JMC took the words right out of my thoughts, you must be new to this trade.

Wow, Just wow.

You are the one with the problem.

All of us who disagree with your foolish outlook are doing just fine.

Actually, we're at the top of the food chain.

The one's who move along with a mindset like yours are destined for mediocrity.

You're also a bit of hypocrite.

You want the benefit to the experience of others here and are not bashful in the least about asking for it.

However, you refuse to pay it forward.

Very bad karma.

Best of luck to you.

You've got some issues to deal with.

I don't get it... one minute you're giving great advise and potentially teaching the O.P. and others reading this post how to solve this problem, and the next you bash others that share their knowledge.

Did I miss something here?

Maybe I mistook the "(RU STUPID)" portion of your macro post as sarcasm. My fault.

JMC took the words right out of my thoughts, you must be new to this trade.

The answer to his question is 30 year old technology. I am not in any danger of supplying him of information that has been shipped in yellow books with every fanuc control over the last 30 years. This is no more dangerous than showing him how to change a spare tire. Even though I supplied him with this trivial and simple information, my job will still be here Monday morning. :guitar:

"Actually, we're at the top of the food chain."

From what I have seen, Garbage men are at the top of your food chain. They have better pay and better benefits than most machinists.

You're a Union guy, aren't you?

The only person holding you back is you.

I invite you to reconsider your current mindset.

Please, by all means, go to my site.

You'll find some great tech articles there along with Macros and some freeware you might find useful.

A lot of people have.

I put that stuff there for people who are motivated to help themselves and learn.

You're even free to comment.

Do a little bit for yourself and pass one tidbit on to someone else.

I promise you it will make a difference and change your life.

• Like 1

"You want the benefit to the experience of others here and are not bashful in the least about asking for it."

You are correct. If you are going to hand it out, I will take it. I would be a fool not to. I also go to youtube for free information. And, because you have all given me this free information, I can now compete for your jobs. One year ago I knew nothing about machining. Now I can compete against 97% of you. Lathes, 5 axis mills, multi-tasking lathes, post processors. This is one Hispanic man that THANKS YOU VERY MUCH! :unworthy: Can I offer you a tamale in return for your job? How about a horny donkey?

Does this make me a hypocrite? I SURE HOPE SO! I love being able to add more words to my very long resume. :guitar:

"You want the benefit to the experience of others here and are not bashful in the least about asking for it."

You are correct. If you are going to hand it out, I will take it. I would be a fool not to. I also go to youtube for free information. And, because you have all given me this free information, I can now compete for your jobs. One year ago I knew nothing about machining. Now I can compete against 97% of you. Lathes, 5 axis mills, multi-tasking lathes, post processors. This is one Hispanic man that THANKS YOU VERY MUCH! :unworthy: Can I offer you a tamale in return for your job? How about a horny donkey?

Does this make me a hypocrite? I SURE HOPE SO! I love being able to add more words to my very long resume. :guitar:

:rofl:

You're a Union guy, aren't you?

Nope, never been in a union. However, you make it sound as if it is a bad thing. I come from Mexico. We have no unions there. I suggest you goto Mexico to see just what a workers get when they have no unions to support it's workers. What do we get? We get YOUR jobs, at a much lower rate, The important thing is, we have your jobs, and our standard of living is increasing, while yours has gone down since you have disbanded your unions. Sure, some unions go to extremes, but take 5 minutes to think of what your country would be like if you never had unions. Well, you really don't need to think about it, just look what your country is turning into. Pretty soon we will have unions in Mexico, and Americans? Well, they'll have food stamps. A tasty alternative to money.

I actually lived in Azcapotzalco, D.F. Ciudad de México

I was there right after NAFTA passed, sharing my knowledge with the guys in the shop there.

Made some great friends and had my work shown at a trade show sponsored by the US Dept. of Commerce.

A man who is confident in his skills never has to worry about finding work.

You don't lift yourself up by holding someone else back.

FTR, after one year, you're just a beginner.

5 years from now, if you're still involved with machining, you'll cringe at what you wrote in this thread.

I'll say this and take my leave, no one here is worried about you taking their job.

Me entiendes? ;)

• Like 6

Nope, never been in a union. However, you make it sound as if it is a bad thing. I come from Mexico. We have no unions there. I suggest you goto Mexico to see just what a workers get when they have no unions to support it's workers. What do we get? We get YOUR jobs, at a much lower rate, The important thing is, we have your jobs, and our standard of living is increasing, while yours has gone down since you have disbanded your unions. Sure, some unions go to extremes, but take 5 minutes to think of what your country would be like if you never had unions. Well, you really don't need to think about it, just look what your country is turning into. Pretty soon we will have unions in Mexico, and Americans? Well, they'll have food stamps. A tasty alternative to money.

See your ignorance about the man shows through. He help setup things in Mexico for some companies years ago and has been around many people from many different countries.Many jobs keep coming back to America and funny how many times jobs leave to other places because some bean counter thinks it will be cheaper, then time the lack of quality and lack of meeting delivery catches up it comes out cheaper keeping it right here in the USA.

• Like 1

Funniest thing I have read in a very long time. You have truly showed how ignorant you really are about machining. I have been doing this for 28 years and will never make such a claim. Keep thinking you can walk on water and when you fail because of that arrogance remember how dumb you were in making such a claim.

• Like 2