Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fires in So Cal

Rekd™

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Unfortunately, since we do not have sound forest clearance policies anymore, there is much to burn still. It used to be that the Forest Service would do "Controlled Burns", but since the Environmental Freako's decided that was bad for the environment, they stopped doing that years ago. Now, we have forests that have not had a good burn in 30-40 years. The underbrush is so thick that it just fuels the fire like gasoline and there's just no way to contain it once it gets to the scale it is now. Fires are combining to create firelines 40-50 miles long! eek.gifeek.gif

I'll wager that over 1,000,000 acres will burn in SoCal before it's over. (That's 1562.5 square miles!!!) Too much devastation to comprehend....

Hang in there guys!! cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

James,

I wish you and yours all the best in the days to come. I also give thanks that you guys have kept the forum members informed, on a very personal level, with regard to the fires.

I'm concerned that some firebug will come and ignite the hills in our area as we butt up against Chino Hills State Park which connects to the Cleveland National Forest which I believe is involved at this point down on the south near Camp Pendleton. I just can't even begin to imagine what the families must be going through that are in the thick of it.

+1000 of the smoke it is bad today folks real bad hurting the eyes and hard ot breathe but we stil required to be here at work and out custoemrs are not wanting to give us more time to get jobs done imagine that. We have alot of stuff sitting at UPS and FED-Ex and they are not running today for pick-up so more pissed off customers.

Crazy Millman

MAN, I feel 4 u guys. just checked the news channels on the web, all the hype seems to be about the multi million dollar homes that are being lost or in danger. really miffs me, they seem to think those are the important items to report on. I know I'm a long way off, but I got room.

MAN, I feel 4 u guys. just checked the news channels on the web, all the hype seems to be about the multi million dollar homes that are being lost or in danger. really miffs me, they seem to think those are the important items to report on. I know I'm a long way off, but I got room.

I remember a couple of years ago when the big fires were all over the country, a big issue was made of there not being enough planes and equipment to battle the blazes then, gov said "we dont have the money to buy", but let them send a few billion to some other country, or even worse the millions that are given away as gifts to leaders.

I remember a couple of years ago when the big fires were all over the country, a big issue was made of there not being enough planes and equipment to battle the blazes then, gov said "we dont have the money to buy", but let them send a few billion to some other country, or even worse the millions that are given away as gifts to leaders.

quote:

San Diego County instituted the first Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Program (MSHCP) in the nation about 10 years ago.

The MSHCP was supposed to provide "islands of connected habitat" to "preserve a rich diversity of sensitive flora and fauna". By some counts, San Diego County has the highest number of plants, animals, birds, and reptiles in the threatened and endangered species list.

The corner stone of the MSHCP is (or was) the Mission Trails Regional Park. This "park" connected pocket of habitat from the mountains to the coast. This same "park" is the corridor that allowed the fire to progress rapidly through residential and industrial areas; claiming untold millions in property damage and human life. While this news report cites eight deaths due to the fire, updated reports have attributed eleven deaths.

The grand MSHCP "perserve" is now charred lands.

Of note, the fire fighting capacity of San Diego was seriously diminished as many fire fighting unite from San Diego County were sent to fight the equally devastating fires in the Los Angles-Riverside-San Bernardino area. That area received aggressive fire fighting capability to keep the fires out of the draught stricken forests that are full of beetle killed trees.

The forests were under a delayed fuels reduction program that has been delayed by the preservationist groups.

So, on two fronts, preservation minded actions have resulted in millions of dollars in property damage and loss of human life.

When is enough enough? When is reason and sanity going to prevail over the insanity of preservationists?

Taken from..

Hrmph. Not to bash greenies, but come on..

'Rekd

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Hrmph. Not to bash greenies, but come on..

Yeah I hear you. Apparently some flower loving fruit-fly is more important than we are. Kind of turns my stomach.

5:30 PM Tuesday, San Diego

More bad news. All of historic Julian has been evacuated. Henshaw, Palomar Mountain, Pine Valley, Granite Hills, all on fire. The community of Cuyamaca alongside the lake has been completely destroyed; all 150 homes gone.

300,000+ acres destroyed. Must be over 1000 homes gone by now. Firefighters up over 48 hours straight now. They have to be rested even if that means walking away.

This is one of the greatest disasters of our time. If you are watching this on the news, it's like you're looking through a soda straw; you have no idea how massive, how total, and how devastating this is.

Where is the help? confused.gif Where are the tankers? confused.gif Where are the other firefighters? We are dying out here! frown.gif

Ok guys Charles is right at 4:00 pm 20 miles away from the newest fires it was alomst dark cause of the smoke know that all of Sandiego id under a blanket of smoke and it is bad real bad. I coem out here they get the wrost weather in 40 years and now the worst fires doesn't make a guy feel comfortable if you know what I mean.

Crazy be here till tommorrow looks like they promised another custoemr 200 hours of work by Friday. Of course everyone else has been shut down for 2 days aroud here and I cant get Material or tools I have ordered. I have casting coming in on hold custoemr want thier parts god I love my job. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah, still kickin' bro! biggrin.gif

quote:

Where is the help? Where are the tankers? Where are the other firefighters? We are dying out here!

I've heard talk of a vindictive gobner who purposely delayed requests for assets to fight this, i.e. C130s, Heli's, and other fixed wing aircraft were/are available but still on the ground!!! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

I smell a lot of smoke, and a helluva lawsuit brewing over this unnecessary destruction and loss of life.

'Rekd

[ 10-28-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

I don't know if Governer Davis is being vindictive or not, but I do believe he acted way too slow in acting on the problem. That is part of the reason he was re-called. When an important issue came up he was slow to act and it brought severe consequences upon our state, i.e.; the budget, the electricity shortage, now firestorms.

Pray for all those poor people who lost their homes and for the safety of our firemen.

John frown.giffrown.gif