Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Locking Operations

gcode

Lets say you need to move the hole to some newcoords

If your toolpathes locked you will still drill the old coords

if there is no reason why are you doing it ?

this is not ver 7 whey you change something you loose your geo

I use Mastercam from ver 5.5 and I never lock toolpathes ,mostly never .

If you `ll think for   a moment you `ll find a lot of situations when this may be dangerous.

JM5

• Like 1

In old Windowns 3.1 versions, there were valid reasons to lock toolpaths

Sometimes your files were so unstable you were just praying it would hold together long enough to post the code :laughing:

With the current OS's and X9, if things are unstable enough that you need to lock your toolpaths

you've got other more serious issues IMO

• Like 4

I lock toolpaths because of the toolpath editor only and I really wish I didn't have to do that. After editing a toolpath (say changing the feedrate on a second pass for a simple contour) and it locks there is no way of knowing what exactly is changed in the toolpath. So... 3 years and 1000 jobs later I am back in this program trying to process a rev change and trying to figure out what I changed in this pocket toolpath :)

In old Windowns 3.1 versions, there were valid reasons to lock toolpaths

Sometimes your files were so unstable you were just praying it would hold together long enough to post the code :laughing:

With the current OS's and X9, if things are unstable enough that you need to lock your toolpaths

you've got other more serious issues IMO

Those Win 3.1 versions were really gems, weren't they... Hah, I recall sooo many times clicking something and then *poof* an ungraceful exit. In all my times as a programmer I never had so much discontent from supervisors and operators frustrated at the time it took to get some code to them... :)

V5.0... strikes fear into the heart of the long term user... LOL

Those Win 3.1 versions were really gems, weren't they... Hah, I recall sooo many times clicking something and then *poof* an ungraceful exit. In all my times as a programmer I never had so much discontent from supervisors and operators frustrated at the time it took to get some code to them... :)

V5.0... strikes fear into the heart of the long term user... LOL

True, but back in the day, the other option was usually Pencil Cam.

but do you remember how to use them??

:laughing:

Actually... yes! :)

I actually had to use the paper tape punch about three months ago, believe it or not... Scary, as I actually recalled what I had to do to make it work.

Probably wont need to again though :)

I lock for three reasons:

1.) When I recycle a program and need to update the geometry and I haven't finished examining all of the toolpaths to make sure they are correct.

2.) Place holder when working through large files and I want to remember where I stopped.

3.) When I know the toolpath or the geometry will not be updated for any reason. Sometimes I will associate a tool to a contour or scallop toolpath to get the correct tool profile to show up in verify. (Mostly legacy toolpaths.) I am never going to update that geometry.

And then I will also use ghosting to make sure these types of toolpaths do not get posted.

I only lock Transform Operations...That way if I need to edit the source op for any reason , it will still utilize the Multi-Threading. Then un-lock & regen the Transform op...Otherwise you have to wait for the Source & Transform op(s) to regen with no threading. 

:cheers: