Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

This site

jrykrl

The place is amazing cheers.gif

Makes me wonder. When this site originated, has it by far exceded its excpectations of cnc and emastercams idea's. I cant even remember the last time I had to call mt reseller for help smile.gif I just hit my home page and you guys and gals are there. cheers.gif was the original intent to alieviate the help burden from the users of the software or just to have a means of interaction?

which ever it was. its gggGGGreat

A brief history of the Forum:

Sometime around 1999, Paul Nelson from NSCC pointed out that Smartcam had a fairly active list server email list, and was asking if Mastercam had anything similar. We didn't. Thanks for the motivation Paul.

We set up the Canadian Discussion Forum on mastercam-canada.com / mastercam.ca as a trial to see if we could provide better service to our customers, potentially move some support away from the phone, and have a lasting online 'knowledge base'.

We found that limiting the membership to Canada only meant that there was insufficient critical mass to have members helping members. It was more of an 'ask In-House' forum, where everyone could see the responses. OK, but less than ideal. The forum engine software also sucked. The Registration process was also time consuming even at the low participation levels, which is why we handle how we do now.

At the time I had purchased a $99 Palm Pilot rip-off called the daVinci. Terrible support from the manufacturer, but good independent web forums helped me through plenty of support issues. They used UBB forum software.

We picked up UBB, and selected a suitably cheesy domain name for a new 'borderless' site. ("dude.com is taken". "What about edude.com?") Somewhere along the line CNC Software gave us their blessing. Initial invites went out to the Canadian Forum members.

It's been 3 1/2 years now. We're quite pleased with how things have worked out. It's a viable tech support option.

As far as registration numbers, we're only at about 10% of all SIMs in the market. Of course a portion of the totals are educational. I think we conservatively assumed we could get 10% participation. I suppose I'm slightly surprised that total number of members isn't higher. Language may be an issue for international users. I am however *totally* surprised by how prolific and passionate the participating Members are.

[ 11-18-2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Dave Thomson ]

Nice history lesson Dave. You stated that participation level is only at 10%. I know at our facility we have 11 seats here and i am the only one that really posts. I wonder how many other places have multiple seats that might have only person who posts from that facility. Our reseller even encourages participation on this site. Thanks guys, it is a great site!

Ditto on what chad said. We have 3 seats of mill and 3 seats of Design. I'm the only one who is active in the forum. One other guy reads but he rarely posts. I'm betting the count is higher than 10% if you figured by company and not by seat. But 10% is higher than I would've guessed. smile.gif

Bryan smile.gif

I too want to say thanks to all.

Several weeks ago I asked a question about C-Axis work. Someone here told me about the MI4 toggle (sorry cant find the original thread). We finally got our tooling and the program ran great. biggrin.gif

The post changes I learned here and programming problems/tips discussed are awesome, not to mention the O/T discussions.

I only hope one day I can help as much as you all have helped me.

Thanks again. cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

6 seats - 6 programmers and I'm the only one who posts. I'm the "In-House" wink.gif Mastercam AE so they never really need to post I guess. rolleyes.gif

I used to hang out in the alt.machines.cnc NG, but I didn't really like it because it's almost all pirates in there and it used to really xxxx me off, seeing as at the time I worked for the local MC Reseller and the sight of pirates flaunting their stuff enraged me. Even though there are plenty of pirates in here, they are at least not flaunting it in our faces - if they do, they get the e-mail from Webby asking for their SIM# and that's the end of that. What drove me here also was the itch to do tech support. That's the side of business I really miss. Everything else can take a flying leap - I hate sales - but tech support... that's what I dig and that's whay I'm here - to support CNC Software because I would not be where I am today without them.

[ 11-18-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]