Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing Tools from 3D Models

Eric E

I have done this as You say and I save the profile as an mcx-9 file.

I can create the custom tool within Mastercam fine.

When I save the profile as a dxf and  I try to create the custom tool in the stand alone Tool Manager, as onlyy dxf files are allowed Tool Manager says "Problem with custom geometry file or data".

I wonder if the dxf requires different information?

I have done this as You say and I save the profile as an mcx-9 file.

I can create the custom tool within Mastercam fine.

When I save the profile as a dxf and  I try to create the custom tool in the stand alone Tool Manager, as onlyy dxf files are allowed Tool Manager says "Problem with custom geometry file or data".

I wonder if the dxf requires different information?

When using DXF data to define custom tools there are some very specific parameters that need to be met.

Have you done a search in the Mcam help guide for defining custom tools?

Do a search in the guide - "Importing DXF Tool Profile Data"

You will see that the tool needs to be oriented differently than profiles we have done in the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Has any found a way to import the vendors STP solid models files directly into the Mastercam Tool Catalog, without having to draw the tool?

I have been drawing the tools for years, but would like a faster way.

Also would like a way to include the holder name & insert..

Anytime you create a custom tool, you cannot include holder & insert info the same way you can with the existing catalog data.

Thanks

Has any found a way to import the vendors STP solid models files directly into the Mastercam Tool Catalog, without having to draw the tool?

Anytime you create a custom tool, you cannot include holder & insert info the same way you can with the existing catalog data.

Thanks

Currently no. In the coming future it is my understanding yes.

• 3 years later...

Any new

On 1/5/2016 at 10:49 AM, Eric E said:

Thanks

Any new info on this topic?

• 1 year later...

We use hundreds of form tools and most of them are NOT measured to the tip. But when you import a tool from stp file, the tool geometry is always generated so that the control point is at the tip. With wireframe you could control that by moving the geometry towards Y minus.

Why is there no option to add offset when using stp tool import?

44 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

We use hundreds of form tools and most of them are NOT measured to the tip. But when you import a tool from stp file, the tool geometry is always generated so that the control point is at the tip. With wireframe you could control that by moving the geometry towards Y minus.

Why is there no option to add offset when using stp tool import?

Because the ISO standard is defining all stp model for tools to be from the tip. This is a situation where the ISO standard is not taking something specific to the port tools into account for the standard definition. Maybe CNC software can give us the option to decide where to define zero at. You can take a solid tool and then define it to a level and get the wireframe that way/ then you can shift it to the zero you want and then link to that level as a work around. That is what I have been doing in situations like this.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

Hey there,

Anyone having success with rotating and flashing 3D lathe tools and chooking them out to Vericut? If so, I'd love to learn more about your technique, tips, and any gotchas you might have.

I mostly use stick tools when programming 2-Axis and 5-axis VTLs, and it usually gets the job done. But it would be awesome if I could build turning tools in Mastercam with the ability to flash, flip, and rotate them without running into those ridiculous error messages that leave me clueless about what went wrong or the tool's orientation. Also, the MCAM to VERICUT chook often fails to deliver the desired results when exporting 3D lathe tools, and that's quite frustrating.

Currently, my VTL programming strategy goes like this: I create my toolpath ops using stick tools in Mastercam. While working on the part in Mastercam, I also run Vericut to use 3D lathe tool builds for verifying and tuning the NC file. Finally, I set up the information using Mastercam and some Vericut data. My tool list always includes visuals of the turning tool builds. I find Mastercam to be the quickest tool for creating annotated tool visuals. I just wish I could use those 3D tool models I'm importing into Mastercam for more than just screenshot models.

If you've got any insights or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

@DBronson I build my lathe tools assemblies in Mastercam and I save them in a master library with an id number. I build a similar Vericut master library with same ids.

To build Vericut library, I manually export model assemblies from Mastercam tool manager in .stp (with correct wcs) and I create them from scratch in Vericut. Need to define a standard process then it’s ok (import from cad, define inserts and cutting face, holders, tolerances, keep reference file, adjust offsets x/z with a standard project).

For milling tools I always create tools using McamV nethook with each Mastercam project but I pull lathe tools from my Vericut library.