Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommendations for laptop

Uva381972

I'm getting ready to purchase entry Mill Mastercam. I have the recommended specs for a laptop. I've gotten a quote from Dell it's pretty pricey. Does anybody have any recommendations for other laptops. Also do I need to buy the one that Mastercam recommends or is that overkill.

Here's the issue for the most part....

If you buy an under powered laptop it'll be cheaper sure but then you'll be coming back here complaining how Mastercam doesn't run right and you're having all kinds of graphics issues....

or you can buy something they recommend and not have issues...

Up to you

I'd look in the Dell Outlet refurb shop

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/?cs=28&c=us&l=en&s=dfb&redirect=1

Just be sure to get one with a Quadro video card
On board video and Mastercam do not play well together
ATI and Mastercam can be used together, but can be difficult to get running properly
Nvida Quadro or Nvidia GeForce gaming cards are plug and play

Another place to look is NewEgg.com
We just bough 3 Dell Precision laptops for $500each
They were $3K and up new
All three arrived in good condition and work well,
though one has both English and Chinese lettering on the keys

• Like 1

search on here there's a lot of info in the benchmark thread + a few other threads.

we went with refurbished Dells - can't remember if they were 5400 or 5500 or 4500??? But in the benchmark thread, against my name I'm sure there's the info I put.

They were 1 year old with good spec graphics cards at a fraction of the price and a return to Dell warranty (3 years I think?)

These are the specs on my Dell laptop:

Dell M6800

Intel Core i7-4910MQ(Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.90GHz Turbo, 8MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600)

32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L

17.3 inch UltraSharp FHD(1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit

512GB Solid State Drive Full Mini Card

1TB 2.5inch SATA (5,400 Rpm) Hard Drive

NVIDIA Quadro K4100M w/4GB GDDR5

8X DVD+/-RW Drive Slot Load

Windows 7 Professional

It is a great computer and fast. The draw back is it is heavy, the AC power adapter is huge.

Look everyone I'm trying to get a handle on the do's and don'ts of the forum. Just bare with me. Thanks to everyone who is sending constructive comments they are really helpful. For those who aren't how bout help a person out and give advice.

If you 're referring to me, I did, you never read it obviously

You've been a member for 7 years, you've never spent anytime reading?  haven't posted for the 1st time until recently though

Seriously though, guys are here to help and have already offered up some good advice on laptops and spec's

And don't take it to heart, there have been guys that made far, far worse transgressions early on and went on to become very helpful people to a great many

I bought a used 2011 Dell M4600 on eBay for $500 last year.  i7-2.4ghz, 128gb solid state HD, 750gb slave drive, nVidia Quadro 2000m graphics.  Best $500 I've spent.  I use it with MCX and Solidworks.  My only complaint is that it has 8gb of RAM but I can upgrade that when necessary.

i took my Solidworks training on a Dell Presision laptop, a pretty good machine 

bu t still prefer working on my PC with dual 24in monitors

I have been running dual 27" from my laptop for some years and before that was dual 24". Never had an issue with the correct laptop. I am running a KMV switch from Startech and bouncing back forth between a tower and laptop sharing the same keyboard, mouse, printer and 3D Mouse with no issues. Not running the monitors through the KVM Switch, but not a big deal.

• Like 1

I noticed it doesn't have the solid state drives that Mastercam recommends. In your opinion do you think that's an issue?

you mentioned early on that you are purchasing "Mill Entry" so I would say a SSD would not be needed, if however you decide to update and do some more advanced work, like 3d mold type or Multiaxis type work, at that time it may be worth exploring SSDs, but since entry is your product of choice I can only guess that you will not need any powerhouse of a system.  ​

Also consider the types of parts and part files that you will be working with, if you plan on opening up huge assemblies or building large assemblies with that computer you may want to invest more to save yourself the processing time.