Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to adjust for different tolerances

Oppiz

How do you handle parts that the imported solid model is made exactly the to print but the print has different plus and minus tolerance's through out. Do you edit the model? Use stock to leave? Use comp? or sent it back to person who made the model?

How do you handle parts that the imported solid model is made exactly the to print but the print has different plus and minus tolerance's through out. Do you edit the model? Use stock to leave? Use comp? or sent it back to person who made the model?

I kick it back to the engineer and tell him to do it right....that his laziness is killing all the tolerance

If the engineer is not available, like others, I split the numbers on my own geometry

Ha Ha Ha :laughing: Ha Ha Ha, send it back :thumbdown: !!! Welcome to the world of machining. Depending on time, I like to repair model. But if in a time restriction, use stock to leave. I always compare model to print before anything is done.

• Like 1

You guys are lucky enough to get Models?? 

I usually end up with some s#itty print from like 1957

Let me guess, aircraft spares?  We're on the same boat... It can be fun, but sometimes I want to dig the engineer out of his grave and beat the crap out of him :realmad:  :rant:

Let me guess, aircraft spares?  We're on the same boat... It can be fun, but sometimes I want to dig the engineer out of his grave and beat the crap out of him :realmad:  :rant:

Meh, the older ones aren't as bad as the first ones that started using Loft data points in the 70's and 80's. At least when everything was hand drawn, people took pride in their work, and their work was generally checked closely before it was released. It does get fun when an old print has multiple ADCN's attached, and you've got to go through and mark up a copy of the print to really figure things out. The worst is when there are multiple projected views, at non-right angles, and the don't bother to add any hidden lines or details "behind" the view. That gets fun...

What do you mean you can not machine it??? If I can draw it, you should be able to machine it!!! :laughing:

• Like 1

You guys are lucky enough to get Models?? 

I usually end up with some s#itty print from like 1957

I've actually had to use prints drawn in the '20's and last revision was like 1938.

Talk about turrible! 

Hard to believe that in 90 years, not one person said "hey, we should make a .dwg of this so it's easier to read".

My favorite is when the customer send you a .tif that is impossible to read due to all of the spots and stains on it.

• Like 1

Meh, the older ones aren't as bad as the first ones that started using Loft data points in the 70's and 80's. At least when everything was hand drawn, people took pride in their work, and their work was generally checked closely before it was released. It does get fun when an old print has multiple ADCN's attached, and you've got to go through and mark up a copy of the print to really figure things out. The worst is when there are multiple projected views, at non-right angles, and the don't bother to add any hidden lines or details "behind" the view. That gets fun...

I have been lucky then!

I did run into one years ago that was an extrusion, and the print wasnt that good.  I had multiple machinist more experienced than me look at and no one could make sense of it.  I had to have the customer order a sample..