Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Jammer™

Our tool library is on the company network drives. Most of us share the tools so it makes sense for all of us to pull the right tools for the right machine and where they're supposed to be... that way it should eliminate "personal preferences".... /shrug

Other than that.... I noticed one important tool missing:  "Rotate planes"  did they remove that / re-name it / or what?

I guess it depends on what you're using the software for.

X8 provided a huge improvement in 5X capability

X9 added more.. and allowed me to run verify on huge stls

The work I do today wouldn't run at all in X7

All 3 axis mold work, no 5 axis in my department

MC pitfalls in that regard,

for ex: Powermills 5 axis has been awesome for every release

Edit is now Rotate Planes in the Planes Manager.

Thats over complicating things........   sigh

how does edit even work if its not selectable?  I even highlighted the plane i wanted to edit and that wasn't working?   Would i have to create another plane and edit it?  it seems like a waste of more time than needed.... because simply clicking on a button in X9 to rotate planes was extremely simple and easy to do....

• 4 months later...

As i Youtubed some stuff i fell on that new 'section' lathe feature from Mastercam 2018. It will be a nice addition as i often need to create extra geometry to achieve that. Anyone knows what others improvements are coming? I know public beta is coming soon but i can't wait^^

This is a very nice feature and we use it quite a bit here with Edgecam. Some things we do would be impossible without it...

Glad to hear Mastercam is getting it...

still using x9 cause I don't like the new ribbon bar style interface. I know eventually I have to start using 2017, so I've been tempted into start using it, but now this crashing thing

i'm hearing about will keep me on x9 for now.

I'm with you on this one. In truth, it doesn't have anything to do with me liking or disliking the new interface, it has to do with not having the time (not to mention the inclination) to have to relearn so much that I've already mastered. Especially since the only reason for it, that I've been able to discern, is to have a look like every other program in fashion! And that, at the price of a crapshoot of possible constant crashes.

For the time being, I'm taking a pass.

• Like 2

I'm with you on this one. In truth, it doesn't have anything to do with me liking or disliking the new interface, it has to do with not having the time (not to mention the inclination) to have to relearn so much that I've already mastered. Especially since the only reason for it, that I've been able to discern, is to have a look like every other program in fashion! And that, at the price of a crapshoot of possible constant crashes.

For the time being, I'm taking a pass

The dynamic milling improvement alone is worth my suffering through the ribbon interface.

I waited for update2 before using 2017. I try not to use the ribbon. I added most useful commands on QAT and I highly customized RMB instead. For toolpaths I only use standard RMB on toolpath manager (as I always did with previous release).

It still clearly less effective than X9 toolbars but it s ok... however i needed to add RMB click on a spacepilot button to not stress my right hand with all theses extra clicks.

To this day when I in trim a surface ( Not all of them and not all the time) but enough of the time

It creates a random amount of duplicate surfaces.

93 , 61 , 160. Delete all duplicates won't work.

It shows them though.

SO I have to save EVERY SINGLE surface Mod edit

So I can get back where I left off cleanly.

I sent in Hard facts. Video etc.

QC never gave me a bug # but said it would be forwarded

To the Product owner.

What this means is...

It runs so deep in the build that it will be fixed in 2018.

Save often !