Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problems with Fadal post

Thad

We're experiencing some very bad things with our Fadal post. We run our Fadals in Format 1. We've scrapped or gouged 3 details now. The problem is that it doesn't show up in backplot, verify, or the graphics at the machine, but it does it (consistantly) when it actually runs the program. This is the same post that we've used for the last year and these are similar parts that what we've been cutting. All the problems seem to occur on arc moves.

Original post settings were as follows:

code:

breakarcs   : 1     #Break arcs, 0 = no, 1 = quadrants, 2 = 180deg. max arcs

arcoutput : 0 #0 = IJK, 1 = R no sign, 2 = R signed neg. over 180

helix_arc : 1 #Support helix arc output, 0=no, 1=all planes, 2=XY plane only

Our resident "post expert" changed the following:

code:

breakarcs   : 2     #Break arcs, 0 = no, 1 = quadrants, 2 = 180deg. max arcs

arcoutput : 1 #0 = IJK, 1 = R no sign, 2 = R signed neg. over 180

helix_arc : 2 #Support helix arc output, 0=no, 1=all planes, 2=XY plane only

Since the Fadal uses R values as variables, a radius of R1.25 was interpreted as R1+.25. Fadal users know what I'm talking about. So, we changed back to IJK output. We posted the same file with a different post and it ran fine. Therefore, we made sure that our Fadal post and the other post had the same arc settings, thinking that would fix it.

Yesterday, I updated to the latest mp.dll. This morning we found out it happened again on nights. What else should we check or do to get this taken care of. It really sucks not be able to trust your post.

I forgot to mention, our nightshift said that it output a I and J value over 1000 inches. Isn't there a setting to set the max arc?

Thad

Good Day,

IMHO... Switch to format 2

Tony G

Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

------------------------------------------------

quote:

Thad what is your arccheck set to in your fadal post?

arccheck is set to 1.

quote:

Oh, and what mp.dll are you running?

LNDCAD, do_full_arc is set to 1=yes

jdempsey, most toolpaths don't get filtered.

I don't know if this is causing any problems, but when we first got MC, our resident post expert started modifying a Fadal2 post instead of Fadal1. We've had no problems with this post up until now.

Thank you all for your replies.

Thad

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Interesting isn't quite the word *I* had in mind...

ROFL!!!!! Yeah, scrap parts are rarely "interesting".

quote:

...Post "Expert"...

Let's break down the word Expert phonetically.

ex = Is a has been

spurt = Is a drip under pressure

biggrin.giftongue.gif

arcoutput : 0 #0 = IJK, 1 = R no sign, 2 = R signed neg. over 180

I had problems with overcutting my arcs when I used R instead of IJK on our Fanucs. I use overlap in circle mill all the time and the R values were throwing the control into fits trying to give me a 'best fit' arc. I would change this back to ijk for sure.

Greg

Well Thad you can take this for what it is worth. We run format 1 all day and night and do 2000 surfaces parts and have no problem. I am using the MPMASTER_FADAL and it works like a charm.

Here is my section out of it:

code:

arcoutput   : 0     #0 = IJK, 1 = R no sign, 2 = R signed neg. over 180

arctype : 2 #Arc center 1=abs, 2=St-Ctr, 3=Ctr-St, 4=unsigned inc.

do_full_arc : 0 #Allow full circle output? 0=no, 1=yes

helix_arc : 1 #Support helix arc output, 0=no, 1=all planes, 2=XY plane only

breakarcs : 2 #Break arcs, 0 = no, 1 = quadrants, 2 = 180deg. max arcs

maxrad : 999 #Maximum arc radius

I guess the only supect area not covered yet would be your DNC. I have seen data stavation be a probelm to cuase things to off. I would keep looking at the screen when this happens and check my buffer and make sure it is staying up and not getting into the 20 for lines in buffer that could be a problem may have to slow the feed down or apply the filter to the toolpaths.

If this is not going on then I am with trying to do something different with your post. I used the format 2 post for the format 1 and never had probelms either. Talk to your dealer the MPMASTER_FADAL accounts for thing that the fadals do weird like indexing. I have also made my post do all the fixed subroutines like engraving, pockets round and rectangle.

Ron,

I wasn't running DNC, so there was no data starvation. I think we're going to start over with the Fadal 1 post off the 9.1 SP2 CD. We don't do any 4th axis, multiple fixture offsets, or any other stuff like that. If it comes down to it, I'll be contacting someone about the V9.17 mp.dll like perfecseal mankato mentioned.

Thank you all for your replies. At this point, I consider this a closed issue. The major problem is that post changes can only be tested by cutting another part since the errors don't show up until you run the program. We don't have the time, equipment, or manpower to chase this type of problem down. Starting fresh can be a good thing anyway. Thanks again guys.

Thad

Thad -

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.

If you could, would you put a mastercam file on Jay's ftp site, and I'll run it through our Fadal post, and than through Vericut. It should isolate whether it's a post issue. Wouldn't take me long to do.

Kathy

cool.gif

Easy now, James. Calling him the "resident post expert" was not meant to knock him. He just happened to know more about editing posts than the rest of us slobs...thus earning that title. wink.gif I know, all in good fun.

BTW, I've got to admit that I did like your phonetic definition of expert. biggrin.gif

Thad

The max radius on my Fadal, a year 1998, is 399.9999 inches. If it sees a radius greater than that it will do strang things. There is a place in the post to limit the radius size. I set mine at 390.0000 and everything works fine.

This isn't a problem with MasterCam, so it wouldn't show up in the back plot.

Rick tomer