Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A good article on spindle interfaces

Almost everything here is HSK and Capto aside from the robodrills which are Big plus 30. I really prefer HSK63a over Cat40. A little more expensive to get going but work it if you are going to start from scratch. If you already have thousand of steep tapers.... that may be tough to swallow. 

Mike

24 minutes ago, F10Brandon said:

I have a cat 50 big plus spindle. I'm surprised to hear there is much on offer that's more rigid than that. This machine is a tank. I also have embraced the capto system for modularity for some specialty tooling. It does perform quite well.

An HSK-125 spindle is about as massive as you can get, both in rigidity and the dent it will make in your wallet.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, F10Brandon said:

I have a cat 50 big plus spindle. I'm surprised to hear there is much on offer that's more rigid than that. This machine is a tank. I also have embraced the capto system for modularity for some specialty tooling. It does perform quite well.

For RPMs up to about 12K or 15K a CAT 50 Big Plus will do pretty much anything you ask of it.  It's at higher RPMs that you might want something else; I believe HSK really shines above 25K or 30K, but from what I hear it doesn't do lower RPM stuff as well as steep taper.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

For RPMs up to about 12K or 15K a CAT 50 Big Plus will do pretty much anything you ask of it.  It's at higher RPMs that you might want something else; I believe HSK really shines above 25K or 30K, but from what I hear it doesn't do lower RPM stuff as well as steep taper.

We've got an Okuma 5X HMC with an HSK125 spindle and a 65hp geared head.

It makes every Cat50 machine in the building look like a child's toy

• Like 3

This is why every new machine from here on out will be HSK-63a for us. Yes they are more expensive than 40 tapers, but the jobs that we have switched over to our HSK spindles have had significantly less chatter and much better finishes (milling and boring).