Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Associative Dimensions

I like associativity of the dimensions. It save me time doing the design stage. I work from the background of the philosophy of "design intent." biggrin.gif This means that you design around the fact that it could be modified in the future. Some folks call it "planning ahead." Associativity gives us that option.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Code_Breaker,

Ken isn't asking if you want to keep the "associated drafting". What Ken's asking is whether or not you use the switches in the Drafting-Globals dialog on the Settings tab that turns the associated drafting on or off. That's all. I personally never use them. Because of the "deleting assoc. drafting" dialog that appears when deleting lines that have dimensions attached, I don't see a need for the switches in the Globals as well. It's redundant. Let's try to simplify the software. JM2C cheers.gif

Iskander,

You can set up to "break" the assocaition of the drafting entities in the configuration. Then you could simply use the Entity Attribute manager to place your dimensions on a particular level all the time. When you want the dimensions to be on a different level, so you can compare them, turn off the EA manager for that instance in your file. HTH cheers.gif

I change it also from time to time. Be real nice if we had the ability to do multi dims in one dim like Autocad does. I am refereing to Metric and Standard Dim as one dimension havign one above the other. We get alot of 3d Models in Metric and be nice ot give the operators a print with both already on there. I do it with 2 dimensions now if it is there would not hurt my feeling showing it to me.

Thanks for the feedback - Yea, i got my picture a little early. Dave felt sorry for me, i've been taken a lot of abuse on the Dealer forum lately. smile.gif

They are already in X, it would be work to remove them. It sounds like some have developed legitimate uses for them. The last thing i want to do it remove something people need. The second last thing i want to do is maintain some old unused function because it is there.

I never turn them off; I use them as a tool all the time.

But, having said this, there is a problem. I find them turning themselves off. I know, I know, you are all saying this can't happen, and that I must be sniffing coolant fumes.

I swear it does happen! Not 5 minutes ago I was using the dimensioning to aid me moving things around on a fixture I am building. I dimensioned a feature in X & Y, moved it and the dimension did not regenerate. I went to Screen-Configure and sure enough regeneration was turned off. I figured someone has been using my seat(said Poppa Bear), so I turned it on, saved the configuration change and went back to work.

I made another change. Same scenario as I described in the previous paragraph. This happens a lot and just drives me nuts sometimes.

We are still using V9.0SP1, but the newest release is in the desk drawer just in case we get around to loading it before V10 is released.

jenks,

V9.0 SP1 had a lot of these little "inconsistencies". I recommend installing the V9.1 SP2 disk as soon as you get the chance. It's also best if a fresh install is performed. That means you will want to back up any of your important files including: posts, data files (.MC9's), tool libraries, config. files which are currently stored in the same directory as the installation of Mastercam. Do this before you uninstall V9.0 SP1. Then just put the V9.1 SP2 disk in the drive and let it install Mastercam fresh on your system. HTH biggrin.gif

BTW. My wife's maiden name is Jencks. Any relation? Her family has been in the north MA/south NH area for a while. Just curious. cheers.gif

Peter,

First I know you speak the truth about the dimensioning issues in 9.0SP1. I really must load the new version. It was biting me again today when all of my drafting notes were turning into some kind of elfen language.

Yes, your wife would most surely be a distant relative.

There are at least 3 variations in the spelling of the name Jenks. All of the families in the Northeast and basically this side of the Rocky Mountains are descended from Joseph Jenks of Lynn, MA., no matter which spelling is used. He came to the colonies in 1640.

The Jenks families in Washington and Oregon came from a later migration which I think was in the 1840's or 1850's.

Ken,

Is that a Sandwich?

My Grandpa had 6 or 7 engines including one with 5'(or so) flywheels. He'd have to stand on the wheels and swing his body weight to get the thing started. He said if it back fired while he was on it, it would break a leg.

I remember watching those engines run saw rigs. If the flywheel didn't get you the belt would or the PTO wheel would.

It's amazing anyone in that generation died of "natural causes".

My son is 4 now and I can't wait to show him the things my grandpa showed me. I'd have a mile long post if I told about all the things my grandpa did that amazed me.

cheers.gif to him