Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alphacam

grande

Well agreed I have never heard of it and I have done a alot of MDF molds for composities as well as alot of tools out of aluminum for layup tools for composities from G10 to Carbon Fiber with full 5 axis machine and Mastercam just about kick everyone but as far as I am concerned. I would give a sample part to a Dealer of each software and see what both can do and how easy you think you can follow the software watching them. I did this with so very complex parts and my wonderful dealer back in Florida sat down and did the whole model of the part for me gave me an NC program before we had our PO finished and helped me get a very important jog done. No other dealer I spoke to at any other software company even wanted to look at my part and go the extents my dealer back in Florida did. I also have a great dealer here on the West coast who has done great things for us also.

The most important one do they have a forum board like this. Our top 40 member problay have a combined 600 years of Machining and programming under their belt not to metion if you take the other 8000 members who are usaing this software combined have well a number to high to count worth of knowledge and experience under their belts also. We are all here to help others and to improve this profession. We are like any community we have our up and down but we look out for each otehrs and will do everything to help you if you make the choice that over 75,000 others have made with one expection and that is a free multiaxis several thousand dollar post. Mastercam supplys over 100 post on it cd that ships with the software and 99% time they will work with little to no mods and a majority of the machines out there.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see you as a user soon.

Welcome to the board ,Larry

Alphacam Alphacam web page looks very primitives compared to MAstercam and limitied ,it looks like 4-5 axes it not coveres completly ,and 2,5 is also limitied and not so simple and mighty.

Everyone can download

Alphacam tutorial to see what I mean .

I am sure that you can learn fast both ,but Mastercam looks more mighty ,yet it simple ,I learned it alone and use it for molds mostly and it rocks .

They have their own forum ,this is not a major factor ,buying Mastercam you buy a leading ,fast developing Cad-Cam package that other vendors compare themselves too.

It is suitable for every need and user-friendly .

I used at least 5 other programs and never had such a power and easiness of use .

And you can alwais get here fast and professional help .

Regards.

grande,

Welcome to the Mastercam International user group forum. biggrin.gif Does Alphacam have one? headscratch.gif

One of my ex-colleagues used to work for an Alphacam reseller and now he works for CNC Software. His name is Paul Decelles and I'm sure if you start a topic asking for his opinion, he could give you several reasons for learning Mastercam as opposed to Alphacam. Or if he's viewing this topic, he may actually reply. Paul, you there? I'll see if I can get in touch with him and let him know about this thread grande. HTH cheers.gif

From what I remember Paul saying months ago, Alphacam is based in the UK and has mostly shut down it's support here in the USA. Not much support means you would be wasting your time and money on a product that doesn't sound like it will be around much longer. Mastercam has loads of tools for customers in the mold industry. I myself used to work with a thermoforming company which used Smartcam until it died out and then they purchased Mastercam. They've been much happier ever since. Mastercam has all the most common CAD file translators so you won't ever receive a file you wouldn't be able to read from a supplier.

The best thing I can recommend is that you should have both software resellers demo their software for you using your parts and see which one gives you the most control of your toolpaths for your investment. The support will also be a key factor. You can't really grow with a system if it doesn't provide you the support for your business. This forum is available 24-7. There isn't a time of day that someone isn't posting questions and receiving replies on this forum. It's the best free tech support for Mastercam you'll find on the 'net. HTH biggrin.gif

[ 04-28-2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]

Larry-

For the type of work you are planning to do, Mastercam should be your choice. I have had the chance to learn Alphacam. Although relatively easy to use, it has nowhere near the power and tools that Mastercam has for 3d and multi-axis work.

The majority of the work for which I've seen Alphacam used is primarly 2d. They sell very few seats for the purpose of cutting molds.

Gcode and the other also make a good point: there are far more Mastercam users in the world then there are Alphacam users. And far more and better support when you need it. Alphacam has notoriously bad support. I'm not trying to bash here, just let you know what I hear from users.

If you want to see for yourself, contact a Mastercam dealer, if you haven't already, and bring your most complex 3d mold design.

Good luck!

Larry,

You just found the best reason to use MC over Alpha. 23 yrs in machine shops and used a few different softwares in that time and this stuff is the BEST compared to the others I've used. I feel you should at least get a demo from the reseller in your area. Go to MC website and find the dealer for your area.

JM2C

grande,

this forum should be the deciding factor. when you run into an issue, you can be fairly sure someone else has seen it before and can guide you in the right direction. besides why would you want to use anything but the best. mastercam is numero uno for a reason. cheers.gif

quote:

If you're trying to save $$ I have a copy of Bobcad i'd be willing to let go of CHEAP.

jspangler,

I am definately interested! Hold on a sec [counting my change I have in my pocket] OK, I got a $1.20 of quarters and dimes. Is it a deal? bonk.gif

quote:

Sombody Tell me why Mastercam is Better Than Alphacam Please.

grande,

the old one liner, "you pay for what you get" comes to mind. Is mastercam expensive? Sure is, compared to most cadcam programs out there. Is mastercam worth the cost? Sure is, especially if you plan on doing 3D and/or multiaxis machining.

Mastercam gives the programmer multiple options when applying toolpaths to a part, has supurb support, updates regularily, has great file converters, reliable post processors, yada, yada, yada. And, a nice design package.

idea.gif Mastercam = the Alpha and Omega of Cadcam