Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Informal Poll: Who here has defeated the ribbon?

I noticed a while ago Crazy Millman posted a pic of his layout, and it looks like he made it so it was back in X, where the buttons all stay where they are up top.

Using Autocad the other day I realized how nice it was when the toolbar stayed as it was, as opposed to changing based on what you click on.

The button to move something dynamically for example, will be in 2 different places depending on if I click a wireframe or a solid. I think I'd rather it stay put.

Also, for some reason, the option to trim a line when selecting it has moved from the right side of my screen to the left.

Thinking about un-ribboning this thing as best I can.

Have you done it? If so would you mind sharing a screen shot?

Thanks! 

Since the release of X, I live on the RMB....I go to the ribbon bar for VERY little, as such I haven't done anything with it.

Of course at this point I do very little programming with my hands in so many things and management 

• Like 1

Only thing I don't like about "defeating the ribbon" is if the button isn't on my "hotbar" sometimes I'll forget about it. The other day I rediscovered wireframe project, saved me a bunch of time.

image.thumb.png.50adfe78641409b947dae32cef231259.png

26 minutes ago, neurosis said:

I was pretty bitter about the interface change in the beginning. After a while I just conformed.  :lol: 

I actually skipped X. My last job had Mastercam 8 with the parallel port key, and when I started here in 2017 they got me  that version right away.

20 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Only thing I don't like about "defeating the ribbon" is if the button isn't on my "hotbar" sometimes I'll forget about it. The other day I rediscovered wireframe project, saved me a bunch of time.

Fair point. I usually translate and trim geometry and earlier this week I saw "Stretch" over there and was like hmmm. Wouldn't have thought of it, if it wasn't right there.

8 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

The only thing I ever have really customized was my right click menu,.. other than that I just roll with the defaults. ehh probably not the best choice but it's all good.

I had a nice rmb set up and one day it wiped my workspace back to the defaults. I got annoyed and stubbornly decided to get used to the defaults instead of customizing and learning how to back up my config, because I didn't think you should have to learn how to do that. The software shouldn't wipe your defaults out randomly. But, it does, and you do... So I'm on a learning and optimizing kick again.

*edit* I'll probably just make a batch file to restore my custom stuff when it goes away. Also, I just noticed some of my config is in my One Drive folder, which could be a big part of the problem. I didn't realize it was there.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

Fair point. I usually translate and trim geometry and earlier this week I saw "Stretch" over there and was like hmmm. Wouldn't have thought of it, if it wasn't right there.

That used to happen to me constantly. I used the ribbon for a couple years before changing to my current setup. I'm glad I used the ribbon for as long as I did to get a feel for the functions I use the most, and to discover the ones I didn't know about.

Before my current setup I tried loading up my RMB. I couldn't get used to that flow. I tried for about a month before switching the QAT.

• Like 1

I've put a bunch of my most commonly used functions on the QA (Quick Access) bar.

It's very easy to add or remove functions from the QA bar so I'll add or remove them as my current project requires.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, gcode said:

I've put a bunch of my most commonly used functions on the QA (Quick Access) bar.

It's very easy to add or remove functions from the QA bar so I'll add or remove them as my current project requires.

This is my workflow as well.  Some projects feel like I'm stuck on the Wireframe tab, most projects I barely touch it.  

49 minutes ago, volitan71 said:

The button to move something dynamically for example, will be in 2 different places depending on if I click a wireframe or a solid. I think I'd rather it stay put.

You may just not like the Tool Tabs, or, at least, the default config of them. 

You can try turning them off.  Right click on the ribbon somewhere > Customize Ribbon, and turn these off (uncheck them):

image.png.75ad259420dff3fb546faa1231a8a32b.png

It might be more useful to you, though, to customize the order that they're in so that they all are the same (to use your example, Transform > Dynamic moving around), you can see that they're not all in the same order, but you can select that group (say, Position) and use the arrows on the right side to move them into order.  Then, all the common ones (say, Position, Display, Analyze) are always going to be first, with the selection specific ones coming after?

image.png.c0b343793fb1e66d2e1187ce9ff1a87d.png

I'm going to try this setup now, I haven't done it before :)   Thanks for asking the question to make me think of stuff like this!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Just had my 3Dx configs get messed up, so I'm getting them back in order, but I love the radial menu on the mouse. I know it's peripheral specific though, and not everyone is going to have a cadmouse.

RMB setup is key, probably 90% of my daily toolkit is on there.

Also, no matter what software, keyboard shortcuts have ALWAYS been my go to. I'm still adding to my list of MC keyboard combos, i think I added Dynamic Transform the other day: Shift+T. Always use Shift+F4 for Analyze Distance. Don't forget navigation shortcuts make you fast, and then you won't need a spacemouse.

Keyboard shortcuts are the Macro B of UI, fight me.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 093808.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

Just had my 3Dx configs get messed up, so I'm getting them back in order, but I love the radial menu on the mouse. I know it's peripheral specific though, and not everyone is going to have a cadmouse.

RMB setup is key, probably 90% of my daily toolkit is on there.

Also, no matter what software, keyboard shortcuts have ALWAYS been my go to. I'm still adding to my list of MC keyboard combos, i think I added Dynamic Transform the other day: Shift+T. Always use Shift+F4 for Analyze Distance. Don't forget navigation shortcuts make you fast, and then you won't need a spacemouse.

Keyboard shortcuts are the Macro B of UI, fight me.

I've got to get around to customizing my radial menu. I know it's there, I know it would be super useful, I've just never used it. 

I forgot about my keyboard shortcuts:

D - dynamic transform

B - backplot

R - clear colors

T - toggle cplane 2D / 3D

G - regen selected ops

I just recently found Alt + 1 (or any number) to set the view to a plane, 1 = top, 2 = front  etc. 

As JP said, Right click all the way - even have flyouts if you need it (I never did but Crazy does).
Next the QAT across the top. Nearly, as important (is it larger icons now post 2020?)
The round buttons on the right of the screen were suitably dispensed with.
And a few hot keys for GView, Line, etc but can't remember all of them now.
I had wished there were WAAAAYYYY more customisable hotkeys - AKA autocad programmable PGP file - but that was being looked at as a "good idea" back in the days of X7. It's probably a lonnnngggg meeting.... :rolleyes:
:lol:

Sorry slow seeing this one been in dead areas training Mastercam last couple of weeks and off to another isolated area next week. In Chicago again for two weeks after that. Will be my 5th and 6th week in that area this year.

I can see after having to teach Mastercam to beginners why I stand behind no ribbons for power users 1000%. For beginners I have come to rethink that mindset. New programmers to Mastercam switching from other software need the ribbon to get familiar with all the functions. Funny even the In-House professional course ware I have been using for training shows RMB in the Toolpath manger to access toolpaths not put into the Ribbon.

I have had maybe 20 programmers adopt the no ribbon process out of over a 100 I have interacted with in the last few years so 20% of users see the benefit from that

On 3/28/2024 at 8:24 AM, JParis said:

Since the release of X, I live on the RMB....I go to the ribbon bar for VERY little, as such I haven't done anything with it.

Of course at this point I do very little programming with my hands in so many things and management 

I do this as well I live on the right click menu. I try not to use the ribbon as much as possible.