Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ronald Reagan

Mark Lovelace

I just heard that Ronald Reagan died today. My thoughts go out to his family and to all of those who will mourn his passing.

Though I won't pretend that I agreed with all of his policies or actions (I voted against him twice,) I recognize his greatness and importance in restoring a sense of pride in America. After a decade of pessimism brought on by Vietnam, Watergate, the fuel crisis and economic recession, he provided a vision and a sense of optimism that had been missing for too long. Even this self-confessed 'liberal' can respect that.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Mark, he was so far my favorite President. Though I was to young to vote for him he is still my favorite.

The Great Communicator. His greatness will endure and him policies have outlived him and hopefully will continue.

Good bye Gippur!!! You will be missed!!

Too young to have voted for Reagan? Gee, James, your picture makes you look so much older! biggrin.gif

I know he was a lot of people's favorite president, and a lot of republican lawmakers have been trying to deify him for years. The airport in Washington DC has already been renamed after him, as has a major DC building. I have even heard of attempts to put his face on currency or postage stamps. Perhaps we will see his face on Rushmore one day.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Perhaps we will see his face on Rushmore one day...

I'd prefer to see JFK's before his, but definitely deserves a spot if 2 are open for consideration. Funny JFK is/was more Conservative than many of today's "Conservatives". Funny how that works.

quote:

If Ronald Reagan was president today we would not be in the current predicament

I disagree. His response to the Marine barracks

bombing in Beruit was a central factor in Osma

bin Laden's campiagn against us. Our reaction to Beruit, Mogedishu, the Cole bombing and the embassy bombings in Africa convinced Osama bin Laden the the US was a paper tiger who would always run when attacked.

On the other hand, Regean bombed Tripoli and we didn't hear a peep out of Kadaffi for 15 years.

He also tried to negotiate an arms reduction treaty with the Soviet Union. When they refused, he intiated an arms race that bankrupted them

and lead to thier downfall.

He had great success against the Soviets and the Lybian's, but his show of weakness against terror sowed the seeds of our current conflict.

It's interesting to note that our two current wars are, in some way, resultant from Reagan's tenure: The Taliban and Osama Bin Laden were both funded and armed by the US to oppose the Soviets in Afganistan. Similarly, Reagan funded and armed Saddam Hussein to oppose Iran, which was considered the greater threat at the time.

Neither of these observations are meant to cast blame, but rather to note that history has no beginning and no end. Our victories will always be the launch pad for future conflicts. WWI laid the ground work for WWII, which begat the Cold War. The collapse of the Soviet Union enabled the rise of the Taliban and Al Queda, and the nuclear stand-off between India and Pakistan.

20 years from now, we will doubtless be dealing with the unforseen fallout of our current actions.

I never really understood what was referred to as Reaganomics, and maybe this is a good thing; but I never really kept up with politics until I became a little older.

The most memorable thing to me was his patent wave going to and from Air Force One and the teddy bear grin when he said something that wasn’t expected. I guess it’s the human characteristic that I most remember as opposed to the things the man accomplished or didn’t accomplish during his lifetime; most fondly remembered is the First Lady in his life – such strength, dedication, and love. I certainly hope she writes about Ronald Reagan from her prospective some day.

Great thread topic Mark, with a good analogy as well. smile.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

In seeing and hearing all the "retrospectives" of Regan's life and legacy....I keep asking myself a somewhat cynical question, and not to be irreverent in any manner....but it is interesting that we elected a major movie star/actor as President of the U.S...is somehow being an "actor" a qualifier for being the "leader of the free world? Where are the thinkers?

I was still kinda young during his campaign and I feel a great deal of respect for this man and his accomplishments, I am not saddened by his death for he lived a full complete live who has made a never changing impact on our society. He was 93 and suffering through the greater part of the last decade with alztimers(SP?), so therefore it is safe to celebrate his achievments.

+1 to corey!!

As much as i respect him, with what he was going thru this was probably long overdue.

may he rest in peace forever and ever!!! (thankfully he doesn't have any kids trying to freeze him like another legend who died not too long ago)

I grew up under both JFK and Ronald Reagan (yes, it does date me). Both had their great moments and downfalls (as does any person). The thing that made them great (in my most humblest opinion) was that when they said something, they meant it. When they spoke, EF Hutton stopped and listened. They had respect because of this.

I am a firm believer that, "Everything rises and falls on leadership."

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

"Reganomics" or a.k.a. "Supply Side Economics", "Trickle Down Effect", or as the Liberals would say "Voodoo Economics" was relatively simple regardless of what the Liberals say.

In a nutshell it's basic tennet(sp?) says that if you allow the wealthiest among us to keep more of their money as opposed to it being taxed away, this in turn would cause them up to spend more/compensate their employees better, etc... which in turn helps the economy grow.

You doubters of this economic policy, when you get more money one way or another, do you a) save the extra and sock it away for a rainy day, or B) spend it. If you answered "b" you are supporting this economic policy.

Thank you and good day! biggrin.gif

quote:

...is somehow being an "actor" a qualifier for being the "leader of the free world? Where are the thinkers?...

Well unfortunately, "thinkers" usually can't get elected. They are not the most charismatic among us, they are too busy "building the better mousetrap" rather than honing their oratory skills. We have no one to blame but ourselves for electing such shallow drivel as Billlary Clinton.

JMNSHO

About Reagan being an actor before being President the only difference between him and most other politicians is he was an actor before taking office the others become actors after they decide to run for office. They soon learn how they need to act and what they need to say to get elected and re-elected. Ronald Reagan was a great man who came along at the right time. That may be the key to his success. At that time we needed his personality in office. He wasn't perfect and did make mistakes but I'm not sure we'll see another President like him soon.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yep I'm aware the H.W. coined it, but the Libs took it and ran with it! biggrin.giftongue.gif If I recall correctly, H.W. was the only Conservative to use the term other than in jest. He was just jealous because he did not come up with it or at least make it the viable economic policy it is.

We're gonna be in deep dooo dooo when Alan Greenspan decides to retire or kick. He's been more responsible for the overall stability of our economy than ANY other person. Gee.... I wonder who appointed him??? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Bush has wisely asked him to stay on indefinitely...

As did Clinton. Very wise indeed. I sure hope he has an "apprentice". Of course we have 20+ years of history with him to study, though we don;t have what went into the thought process of those decision. Shoot, a 1/4 point drop in the interst rate at the wrong time could overheae the economy then we'd be in super dooper deep doo doo. The guy is a miracle worker.

quote:

The guy is a miracle worker.

Not only that he is widly respected and trusted.

When it finnally comes time for him to step down which at somepoint it will come. Whoever takes over will probably be second guessed at every step.

Steve S. cheers.gif