Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T What Kind of............

Lee.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducati 996 here. (Pronounced, "Superbike" just like Rek'd's TL). I am immune to the "rice rocket" tag by buying European.

Although, I have to strongly agree with the big thumping v-twin thing, I did just put money down for a road version of the Desmocedici that will come out next year (v-4 motogp bike).

Don't think I could ever own a Harley. The tooling has been paid off for years now but why won't the prices come down? It's just a market driven thing I guess. But then, why are there more of them for sale in the paper every day than all the other bikes combined?

No motorcycles here. No aversion to 'em, or anything, just don't have one. But I thought you guys might like this little story:

I went to our local Friday night 'run what you brung' drag races a couple weeks ago. Mostly there were just a bunch of tweaked Acura, Honda, and Mitsubishi street racers, along with some old and new Mustangs and Camaros, a couple of crotch rockets, a BMW or two, a C5 Corvette, and a Viper.

There was also a guy with an old Volkswagen Fox, VW's made-in-Mexico bargain-basement Yugo fighter from the '80's. This guy ran it more times than anyone else, up against lots of the Japanese cars and even against a Mustang or two. Despite the fact that he had the slowest car there, the guy was pushing it to its limits to get every last bit of speed out of it. I kept waiting for it to explode.

But then he runs it against one of the hot super-bikes (not sure what kind.) To make things more even, the rider would start by leaning against the wall with his bike parked, engine off. When the flag dropped the VW would wheeze off down the track as best as it could. The biker would casually walk over to his bike, get on, and start it up. By this time, the VW would be 3/4 of the way down the track. No matter, though. The bike would scream off down the track, lifting at each shift, and fly past the VW far before the finish line.

They must have been having fun, because they repeated this about 4 or 5 times. People in the stands were busting up laughing. I figure the guy in the VW must have had a pretty healthy self-image to subject himself to losing so many times in one night.

Actually, Ducati is struggling with their new bike in the GP class this year. But, it is only their second season.

In World Superbike, well that's another story, and a long one at that. Some would say rules are written in favor of Ducati. But, actually they just build a bike totally suited to the rules. Blah blah blah

quote:

I did just put money down for a road version of the Desmocedici that will come out next year (v-4 motogp bike).

I'm holding up one finger, guess which one? biggrin.gif

James, mostly Hondas.

code:

2004 MOTOGP RIDERS' STANDINGS (AFTER ROUND 8 OF 16)

POSITION RIDER TEAM POINTS

1. VALENTINO ROSSI GAULOISES FORTUNA TECH 3 139

2. MAX BIAGGI CAMEL HONDA 138

3. SETE GIBERNAU TELEFONICA MOVISTAR HONDA 126

4. ALEX BARROS REPSOL HONDA 79

5. COLIN EDWARDS TELEFONICA MOVISTAR HONDA 75

6. NICKY HAYDEN REPSOL HONDA 70

7. CARLOS CHECA GAULOISES FORTUNA YAMAHA 62

8. MARCO MELANDRI FORTUNA GAULOISES TECH 3 57

9. LORIS CAPIROSSI DUCATI MARLBORO 55

10. MAKOTO TAMADA CAMEL HONDA 54

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...In World Superbike, well that's another story...

My bad, got my classes confused. I was watching the Speed Channel and in the top 10, 8 were Duc's. eek.gif

OUCH!!! Pricey racing class. eek.gif

That's ef'n funny, Mark! biggrin.gif

I used to drag race in the NMRA. I ran a stock 750, (The GSXR I gave meh wife) with nothing but a wheelie bar and a strut in the back. I raced prolly 10-15 different HD's that season that were strictly race bikes. Trailered in, trash-canned out. (Mine was my commuter bike) I beat them every time, hands down. There was 1 that at least gave me a race; I think it was a 1300ish CC, (when you do the conversion), which is almost twice the displacement of meh lowley "rice rocket"

burn1.jpg

“They must have been having fun, because they repeated this about 4 or 5 times. People in the stands were busting up laughing. I figure the guy in the VW must have had a pretty healthy self-image to subject himself to losing so many times in one night.”

And twenty years from now everybody is going to remember this event or have a good laugh while retelling it such as you have – the VW guy did it up right for the sake of all with enthusiasm; and he should be fondly remembered.

The story reeks of that classic itself “the hare and the tortoise” – thanks for noticing and sharing a smile.gif .

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

So far I have a

78 Sportster

Superglide

04 Sportster

72 kaw H1

72 kaw H2

Yamy YZF R1

But the one I ride the most is the 04 sportster

I bought for my wife, its a really fun ride.

Rekd, Ive noticed if a bike leaks or pukes oil

if parts shake off. its usually the owners fault.

not the brand. I like all bikes, I cant say the same for owners.

The important part of the ride is living to tell about it.

my co-programmer bought one this year also. havent rode it but at idle the engine looks like its gonna bounce outta the frame. My Deuce has a rigid mount twin but it has the counterbalance in it. real smoooth, but the wife likes it at the higher RPM's wink.gif

Compared to the old sporty

the differance is huge.

the 78 is an ironhead the 04 is an evo.

chain versus belt. the 04 has about 30 horses

on the 78.

the engine shakes like hell at idle but you cant feel it. Ive had it to 90 on the freeway and it was smooth as glass. its the best riding sportster Ive ever been on. it also seems a lot more nimble at slower speeds then the 78. I may have to buy the wife another one.so I can keep riding this one.