Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many use the "Get operations from library..." option?

Ray Culver

How many use the "Get operations from library..." option from the right mouse menu on the common tool page (page #1 in contour, pocket, drill, etc)

This function allows you to import operations from another file and share the selected geometry being used in the current operation and saves you from importing operations and then having to drag/copy geometry from another operation into each imported one.

Scenario:

1 - In a new file, create a contour toolpath (operation #1).

2 - Chain some geometry (the parameters dialog appears).

3 - Right mouse click in the tool list area and select "Get operations from library" (the Operation Import dialog appears)

4 - Select a contour, pocket and facing operation and hit "OK".

Those 3 operations (operation #2, 3 & 4) are now imported and use the geometry originally selected for your currently displayed operation (operation #1). You now have the choice to continue with your current operation or bail out and still keep the ones you imported.

It's not in X yet, but it can be, I just don't know if it's worth the trouble (no lack of other stuff left to do, ya know...)

quote:

How does this differ from right clicking in the ops manager and selecting "get from library?"

It's really the same function, it just automatically assigns what you've just selected for your current operation to however many you've selected to import. It saves you the steps of importing the operations, going into each one and selecting the geometry to be used. It's a lot quicker if you're importing a lot of operations.

quote:

I did notice that not all of my ops show up when using your method above

When importing from another operation, it filters out incompatible operation types (i.e. drill operations won't show up if you're importing from a pocket operation, but contour operations will because both pocket and contour use chains)

I use the "Import" fuction in Job Setup a lot.

I have one grip about it though. When you use import in lathe, it brings in the stock definition

from the source file.

99% of the time I'm just bringing in an operation or 2 and don't want the stock definition.

It would be nice if bringing in the stock was

an option.

quote:

I use it a lot, not only from library, also from OTHER FILES.

In the "Operation window" select an MC9-file instead of an .OP9 and you'll get the operations direct from the other file.

Ahh, you figured that out. Pretty good. Just for your info, all the operation, tools and material "library" files (.op9, tl9, mt9 respectively) are really regular old .MC9 files just with a different file extension. If you ever wanted to bring them up in Mastercam, just rename the extension to .MC9 and do a regular File/Get on them.

Well, it sounds like enough people use it (or will now).

I'll put it in for X.

Thanks guys.

quote:

... If you ever wanted to bring them up in Mastercam, just rename the extension to .MC9 and do a regular File/Get on them.

We do this quite a bit for tweaking our standard libraries but I'd like to see more flexability (make easier) in the opposite direction. Using mc9 files for tools, ops, etc. I know currently you can point Operations Import to a mc9 file but it really messes up the get ops window. The extension filter gets really funky. Also doing it thru Job Setup is too limited and klunky.

Bryan smile.gif

I have set up a library in ops manager, that has most of the common operations I use for roughing the back sides of our die cast cavities. of course it needs tweeking from job to job, but our machine operators like it, they have gotten used to it. They almost know the program (tool #s and operation orders) before it ever gets there. And repetition makes them more effeicient, which means less mistakes and faster setups which turn into $$$$$!

d00d