Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reaming Speed???

Sai

I have to Ream a piece of steel table on a CNC HAAS machine. What would be the ideal speeds and feeds for Reaming a 5/16 hole 1.2 inch deep.

I used 1000 rpm for drilling. Should I go faster than 1000 rpm since Reaming is a finishing operation? Also what about the feed, I used 5 inch per min feed for drilling.

I'd go slower on reaming than on drilling since its finishing and you don't want to generate much heat. But then again you're taking off so little that might make up for it.

I'd start at 600rpm / 5ipm to start with for a 4-flute reamer, cooled, and work upwards from there. Better to start slow and work up than to start fast and scrap parts.

quote:

The hole size I drilled is Size M i.e 0.2950. Hope it is sufficient

.005/.01 per side is what I always used, so you look good.

The reason for faster reaming feeds is so that the top of the hole won't bell mouth if you have a little runnout, the reamer will follow the hole.

If you are looking to hold a finish, you might slow feed down a little and make sure your reamer is indicated in to hold size. If you just need to hold size, feed as fast as possible.

Murlin teh old school

I guess Merlin and I run them a little fast for some....

How 'old school' is old school? I've been running reamers that way since the early '80s.

headscratch.gif

quote:

Lower RPM will give smaller hole, higher RPM will cut bigger as a general trend.

Likewise, the rule applies to feed as well. Slow the feed down some, hole is bigger. Kick the feedrate up, hole is smaller.

If all else fails, and the hole is still small (and you don't have or can get a bigger reamer), then 'tickle' the reamer.

cheers.gif