Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CELL PHONES AT WORK

HEAVY METAL

Our shop has no problems with cell phones. Although personally I do. I have one, and it's on 24/7 but, if my machine is not running, I am not on the phone, ever.

Where I find the problem lies is the manual machinists who have cell phones and stand there talking with the machine inactive. As an employer I would not let that slide.

As for being on time, we have a 7am start time, but we have guys here from 3 am (me...), and some stay as late as 6pm. All my employer cares is that somewhere in that you get your 8 hours + lunch. It's very nice, 'specially when you have kids in elementary.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Cells phones are not allowed (which is the way it should be), but if you don't get caught, you're fine. As for the late issue, around here they say " at least they showed up". What kind of way to run a business is that!!!??? I wish they would send them home for a couple days.

Cell phones are are not allowed during company time. Funny thing though is that there is no way to call out from my office and there are no phones in the shop. Inspection has one but it's locked and you have to ring the doorbell to get in. Only the General manager the QC manager and his assistant have a key. Needless to say I use my cell when I need to make a call or when the wife needs to speak with me. Lateness ? I'm salary but the guys in the shop get docked for the time they are late. if it becomes excessive then they get their overtime taken away untill they wise up. Another funny thing is if a guy stays late to finish a part say 15 or 20 min they don't get paid unless they had scheduled overtime to begin with. bonk.gif

Hourly employees get docked 15 min if they are 5 min. late. If it becomes a pattern they qet written up. Three write-ups gets a day off without pay. 5 write-ups within a six month period gets unceremoniously dismissed. bonk.gif Write-ups can be for other things as well (not wearing earplugs or safety glasses, insubordination etc.) rtfaq.gif

So far cellphones are allowed as long as no one is having extended conversations with girlfriends. We have company cellphones/walkie talkies and it seems every other employee has one so it's hard to tell if they are having a private or business call.

i think eveyone should be made to follow simple rules . i think it sends a bad message when the same guys come in late every day 5-15 min. also i dont like walking out on the floor and seeing guys standing behind their machines on the cell phones or going over a job and they get a call and stop whatever they are doing to answer it. but our shop lets all this go on.

quote:

i think eveyone should be made to follow simple rules . i think it sends a bad message when the same guys come in late every day 5-15 min. also i dont like walking out on the floor and seeing guys standing behind their machines on the cell phones or going over a job and they get a call and stop whatever they are doing to answer it. but our shop lets all this go on.

I agree,but come to my shop,they don't do nothing if you show up late,guys reading magazines at their machines,guys shooting the sh!T,guys on cellphones,guys making junk,guys not following process sheets,guys smoking in a supposedly smoke free shop,guys washing up early,guys strolling around in the office....

It make me sick! period. mad.gif

I have just learned to swallow it cause upper management wont do a thing....

As usual,the 'wouldn't wanna offend anybody B/S policy'

Heavy,

As you know since we have talked, I am a pretty flexible guy. We use to allow cell phones in the shop. It started to become a problem so we warned them to limit it to "have too" calls, which didnt work. So as of about 2 months ago we no longer allow cell phones inside the building.

As far as working hours, we try to be flexible as well. But, we do not tolerate being late. We have some to come in at 6:30 and some at 7:30 and work until 4:00 and later. My theory is this: If you cant depend on them, You dont need them.

Glad to see your back. You getting caught up any? I still laugh at the email you sent. That may have been me and my brother.....lol

I also know where you can go to be stress free.. biggrin.gif Had to throw that in.

Have a good day!!!

Heavy and brendan,

You guys work at the same place I do? This sounds way to familar. How come we don't get raises?, How come we have to pay for some of our health costs?, How come we don't get any new machines?, whine ,whine ,whine. Its pretty obvious why these things aren't happening. Another gripe, I can't run two machines, I'm to busy holding up the bench or talking to joe shmoe

Hey Guys I have a solution.

Come and work for ME biggrin.gif We make money - You make money and I will buy new equipment.

Cant seem to find go-getters like you guys. Guess thats why I own it and they dont. headscratch.gif But, maybe thats why I have the headaches and they dont. idea.gif

Then same shops and guys wonder why we cant compete with across the pond. ***NEWS FLASH*** THEY ARE LAZY!!!

Geeeez Metal, Why you have to get me started and fired up on this.

Toolman I think you are thinking of me. I don't have a cool avatar yet.

On the cell phone thing, get your job done and I don't have a problem. Scrap a part because you were on the phone then I got a problem. I let the guys here have all the courtsey they want as long as it is recipricated. Be on time, otherwise I worry that something happened to you in this wonder Baltimore DC traffic. If you need to flex let me know ahead of time and we will roll with it.

ooooops.......your right. Wasnt payin attention, was on the phone biggrin.gif

This always gets me wound up though. Whine Whine Whine but the company owes them everything. Never been able to understand that. Always a couple that pays for the knucle heads that thinks the world owes them something. Anyways your eamil was funny as he*l.....still laughing over it.

My boss is just too nice of a guy and he wont hire a pr!ck to run the show!

I then suggested to him to run the shop like the show survivor.

Each month the employees vote on who aint pulling their weight,and the one with the most tally's goes in front of the chopping block.He will have a month to straighten out or will be gone.This would build teamwork and they will now all work together.

My boss loved the idea,but he will neva have the balls to actually implement it.

This shop sounds pretty much like Hevy's--the boss lets us use cell phones and pretty much make our own schedule as long as we get the work done on time and don't scrap stuff out for stupid reasons.

On the other side, the three of us have been here for a long time, work well together, and try not to abuse our privileges. It's seems its really tough to find honest, hard workers any more. We just got rid of a guy because he would talk on his cell phone all day(all calls were important, of course). When he scrapped stuff(most of the time) he would say "oh well, I get paid by the hour". And usually, one of us would have to fix it anyway. Round here, at least, he seems to be the norm!?!?!?

scott

All these are valid... I work for a company that has 1000 employees and is 4 buildings thick. Everyone (of importance) has nextel's. It's definitly a necessity. No one would find anyone.

I would like to obtain A machine soneday... My shop... No cell phones. This company I work for didn't get to be how it is now by

quote:

ooooops.......your right. Wasnt payin attention, was on the phone

I don't want to be like the big day dreamer either. The only way I get paid is getting $HIT done. Not talking about it. biggrin.gif That's my 2 pennies! cheers.gif

were i work cell phones arent allowed, but it depends who you are. We have a Hard start-Hard stop time. This began when we started our "Lean" implementation. If we start a little early or stay a little late we need to tell the boss about it and he can ask his boss if we should get paid for it. I think the company is coming out ahead on this but most people now drop everything as soon as the bell rings, and they dic around until the bell rings.

We used to be on flex time, as long as we got our 45 hours in by friday we were fine.

Boy, some of your places sound like downers to work at!

Cell phones are OK at break time, or when you reallly need it. Time is very flexible, as long as you get your 10 hours a day (4 day week) and any overtime required.

Yeah, we got the slackers...mostly the senior guys though!