Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Laptop Suggestions

LIGHTNING_

I'm looking at laptop for some time now also. Just can't make up my mind how much money to spend and how much power i need. Mine will be mostly used for C++ training and writing with some mastercam use also. I like to looks af the Dell M70 but not the price so much even with my company splitting the bill. I'm currently lookuing at a Sony, How does this sound?

Pentium M 2GHZ

1GB DDR-SDRAM 533 MHZ

NVIDIA Geforce G0 6400 supporting 128MB

15.4 WXGA with XBRITE

80GB hard Drive

XP Pro

How does the NVIDIA Geforce compare to the NVIDIA Quadro? Obviously less memory but otherwise.

This sony is about $500 dollars cheaper. Is it worth it? What advice do you have? banghead.gif

Thanks

Chad Perkins

[email protected]

Between my spouse and I, we have purchased at least ten Dell computer systems including three of their baddest laptops. (at the time).

I just declined the lastest offering from the East Indian rep (constantly called me Mr. Jack) Oh thank you Mr. Jack, blah blah blah. biggrin.gif

Most anybody knows me in here, so take it to heart, I will not buy another Dell system.

The hard part is that Dell gets all the latest from Intel and that it takes about 6 months before the resellers can offer the same performance (in Canada anyways)which by that time, is already obselete. It's sort of a catch22; if you want the latest & greatest then you more or less need to go with Dell. If you can hold off for six months then your already too slow. eek.gif

P.S. I turfed the 9K M170 ensemble and they just won't give up on it wink.gif .

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Looking at a new laptop myself. This one is a Toshiba. How does this one sound?

Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 [1.83GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB]

17" Diagonal Widescreen XGA+ Ultimate TruBrite™ Display (1440 x 900)

NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7300 with 256MB GDDR2 discrete graphics memory

160GB: Two 80GB HDDs (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)

DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

Thanks,

Bryon

I have a HP ZD7000, it always woked fine but, the motherboard already went out twice!! in three months. the first time it was 5 days from being out of warranty and the other time was just a few weeks out of warranty $$800.00 later. the tech I talked to said hp has been having major problems and there service is going down hill

beware of HP zd7000

I have a HP ZD7000, it always woked fine but, the motherboard already went out twice!! in three months. the first time it was 5 days from being out of warranty and the other time was just a few weeks out of warranty $$800.00 later. the tech I talked to said hp has been having major problems and there service is going down hill

beware of HP zd7000

My employeer buys from the Dell Small Business

Division. I have never gotten Indian tech support.

That may have changed though as its been over a year since I had to call tech support.

Now Earthlink... If you need Earthlink support just kiss your a$$ goodbye.. you are doomed.

eek.gif

I closed an account I'd had for 6 years. A couple of months later I get a letter from a collection agency saying Earthlink has turned me over to collection for $35.

I spent a week on the phone tryingto figure it out and never did.

My wife finally got an answer. The $35 was for

early temination of my contract eek.gif

[ 03-28-2006, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

This is what Ive come up with....

HP DV8000T

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with SP2 edit

Processor Intel® Core Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz) edit

Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Widescreen (1680x1050) edit

Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7400 edit

Memory 2.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024MB) edit

Hard Drive 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit

Hows that?

quote:

beware of HP zd7000

I have one these, since Aug 2004. No problems what so ever. I do notice it runs hot, but mostly when I'm running Mcam V9. I would always open a window -- operation manager, level manager etc -- when I leave the computer. Now, using X exclusively it doesn't run nearly as hot.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Pentium M now that the Core Duo came out. Im not sure why Dell hasn't changed their XPS laptop line from Pentium M's to Core Duo's. The Dell E1705 is available with the Core Duo.

Dual Core is the only way to go anymore, especially cause it costs about the same and the single cores.

The HP you have speced out above looks good!!

I am considering XP media edition. My laptop will be personal as well as company. I will be hopefully concentrating on learning C++ but also doing some level 3 mill work. Does anyone know any impact the media edition will present verses XP Pro?

Thanks

Chad

quote:

Avoid Dell

I personally own 3 Dells and have never had a single service issue. Not 1 in 5 years.

My employeer has 10+ Dell workstations. One gave us some trouble but Dell Gold Service fixed it

and its been running fine for over a year now.

Dell's expansion into India may change all that,

but for now Dell is still my first choice when I need a new workstation