Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X certification questions fileded here!

Ray H.

I just took the level 1 MCX certification test. It's nothing to sneeze at. The list of requirements u have to meet is pretty long. Your speeds and feeds have to be right, no adjusting or overiding at the machine. In order to get it all done in the time alotted, u have to be using x on a daily basis. Break a tool and your done. you're only allowed three errors total from beginning to end. Believe me, it's not a simple pay your money and get a certificate. Five of us started the test and only 2 of us finished. I believe having it will definitely mean something. It does to me. cool.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the certification is tied to u only.

I was a Certified Master Ford Technician and ASE Master certified before I switched to the Tool & Die trade. I keep these up because with them I can get a job before lunch tomorrow if I need to. The paper is never a garauntee of a good worker, but it is a huge leg up over those that don't have it. When the good paying jobs are few and far between, it is definitely an edge.

Ray,

Maybe they want to look at how the Weld certs are set up and use some of the ideas from there. I would think it would give a good staring point for this cert program as far getting into the industry as a standard for someones ability. As it was stated ealrier this would weed out the self proclaimed guru's that never really have machined some of the parts they claim to of.

cheers.gif

Wow Great Idea i hope it goes farther than the forum. Great sales and marketing tool for industry to say they use MC certified people.

Also a great way for people that are willing to go the extra mile. Especially if the industry accepts and sets stanards.

I know in the welding world there are stanards for all materials. ie D1.2 for welding aluminum

Guys that have that cert make more $ because of it.

Hi everyone,

When I was a Mastercam user, it was frustrating to always have to prove my skills in Mastercam. I moved from Spokane, WA to Portland, OR, and it was a difficult to even get a job with decent pay. How many times have you heard, “If you’re as good as you say, we will raise your pay to that level after a six-month trial period.”?

That is one of the many reasons we developed this certification program. Mastercam Certification is designed to validate qualified people. With the release of Mastercam X, it has become very clear that Mastercam is a deep application, and that anyone who really knows how to use it should have a way to be recognized. There will be two levels of certification, and then we will offer add-on programs for multiaxis, mill/turn, and other key components of our software.

CNC Services, Inc. in Virginia has implemented the Mastercam Certification program at STIHL Incorporated (power equipment) and at the Navy and Marine facilities in Norfolk. ShopWare, Inc. (IL) is hosting the first open industrial certification class. I will be assisting in this class to make sure that the most up-to-date information is presented. CAD/CAM Consulting Services Inc. (CA), Cimtech Inc. (WA), Sierra CAD/CAM, Inc. (CA), and CAD/CAM Technologies, Inc. (IN) have all expressed interest and will soon be offering Mastercam Certification to their customers.

Mastercam Certification is in its infancy. It has taken many years to develop this program correctly. It was created by a machinist, and then tested and approved by a national committee. This certification will be more than just a wall hanging. Right now the people involved are pioneers. Once the word gets out and more resellers get involved, this will be the winning program that employers pay attention to.

Have your reseller give me a call. I will be happy to get them involved.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike Freimann

Certification Manager

Mike,

We are a reseller/ Training facility here in the New England area and I will let the owners know about this program. This is just one more GREAT program we can offer our MC users. We also have an inhouse shop with the latest in CNC equipment both mills(4 axis) and lathes. So I will be sure to push this Cert program.

Thanks for the support. Getting the word out is a great step in making this available to everyone.

I understand the apprehension. I also have many training certificates.

Let your reseller know if you are interested. But keep in mind that not all of them are aware of this program so please cut them some slack. Mastercam Resellers are the best but it will take some time to get them up to speed on the testing and certification process.

Thanks again for your support and comments.

here's another one for you guys.

SME CERTIFICATION

I personnally love the idea (MC cert.) although I couldn't say with any certainty that I'll ever have the opportunity or that I could pass it or what.

quote:

I keep these up because with them I can get a job before lunch tomorrow if I need to. The paper is never a garauntee of a good worker, but it is a huge leg up over those that don't have it.

That's the whole point of any certification, is it not?

quote:

It was created by a machinist, and then tested and approved by a national committee.

so was your machinist "certified" by the dept. of labor? and was the national committee the dept. of labor? SME? what?

I'm not pokin' at all man, but the more credibility the whole thing has will determine its success.

One thing I've noticed is that you'll never get some programming jobs if you don't have a BS in Engineering. Could this be the answer?

Good questions.

When I started this project I approached many certifying boards. The answer was always the same. “We would love to work with you but we must remain neutral so we cannot help you. One thing that all of these certifying bodies had was a committee of industry experts. Most would not give information on their committee members.

In the early stages of this program I would talk with anyone about what industry wanted. One day it occurred to me that these people would make a great committee so I started to invite the best instructors from all over the country to help develop the certification program. This group formed the current Mastercam Certification Advisory Committee. They were not paid to help with this endeavor. Membership is strictly volunteer. The committee has elected a president and operates as any other governing committee.

No, I don’t have a certification card. I started my career as a machinist. I have worked in this field for over 20 years. There are probably more qualified people. Mastercam certification just became my job and passion. We in the educational office really want people to be successful with our product. Later when the Navy adopted the program then more and more industrial started asking questions.

Mastercam certification started out as a way to recognize top students. We shot for the top 5% of the best schools.

I have to go and pick up my kids already late. I will be available to answer any other questions on Monday.

Take care,

Mike,

I am sorry to be so skeptical about a project you obviously take very serioulsly.

But.

Until I finally start seeing employers, not only looking for individuals with the credentials but offering a wage commensurate with that level attained, it will be difficult for ME to believe, that swallowing the cost of the cert will ultimately be worth more than just the paper it is printed on.

I wish you good luck in your endeavour.

cheers.gif

So I take it John, if this certification program creates a bar that is accepted for Individuals, Large corporations Such as Boeing, and or Navy for example to affirm that their programmers or would be hired programmers meet some type of criteria, you won’t be taking the test.?

So if you are a shop owner, and you are talked into purchasing Mastercam to be competitive, and you have a investment, How would you know that are not being feed a line in the interview process when you hire the person that will operate the software?

What if a pool if qualified candidates where created that had a certain level of competencies that was accepted world wide in Mastercam and employer’s called them?

You have to start somewhere.

I wish you Luck in your endeavor

quote:

So I take it John, if this certification program creates a bar that is accepted for Individuals, Large corporations Such as Boeing, and or Navy for example to affirm that their programmers or would be hired programmers meet some type of criteria, you won’t be taking the test.?

If it is not a requirement for me to maintain employment, no I wouldn't take it. Why? Just end up in the drawer with the rest of my cert's.

2 things, in my mind have to happen to make this viable. Owners need to recognize the inherent need to have and PAY qualified for the job they do, in turn, it is incumbent on employees to maintain and expand their skill sets to continue to be viable candidates in the employment pool.

quote:

What if a pool if qualified candidates where created that had a certain level of competencies that was accepted world wide in Mastercam and employer’s called them?

Flat out NEVER happen.

Far too many shops would not pony up the $$$ to have some of these people.

Go back and read my earlier post yesterday about a programming offer for $17. There are a hundred jobs in this area, shops complaining they can not find qualified people. That kind of offer in the Northeast, north of Boston, is not going to get a good setup guy, nevermind a programmer. That's operators pay around here, least in a good shop.

The vast majority of owners I don't feel will ever buy into the program, they may pay it lip service but in the end it will cost them too much money.

BTW, I am NOT against the idea of this.

I am however extremely skeptical it can be brought to the point of driving the employing practices of companies. There is no accredidation value and when shops are hiring only programmers with a BS, this does nothing to help.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Pay is the biggest issue. I hear gripes all the time "... I can't find any 'qualified' people...". 9x out of 10 the reason is they refuse to pay someone what they are worth. They want to skimp. They want their Bimmers, Benz's and Boats, while their people (that are providing the income to buy said items) scrape by on scraps.

Until we, and our skills start becoming valued, the trade will continue to go into the dumper.

JM2C

JM2C

Does anyone think this will have immediate "credibility" from employers? I dont thinks so. Maybe 20 years out after a developed program has become socially acceptable. Ive got a state journeymans Tool & Die maker card; I cant remember in how many interviews ive been the one bringing up the fact that I am a Journeyman intead of the potential employer. Pay scales are already predetermined before a candidate walks through the door. A certificate would look good on your resume and thats about it.

Just my opinion. Its always easier to point out the negative than the positive. I would personally support the program, but I think its a long uphill walk yet.

quote:

Once the word gets out and more resellers get involved, this will be the winning program that employers pay attention to.

Are these the same people who will see the value in the program that are still using V6 & V7 & V8 because they do not see the value in upgrading?