Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, luckily I had a new laptop on the way because some SFB's in Union City jacked my colleague's and I's $#!+ this week.

So now I'm in the process of restoring everything so I figured this may cheer me up.

Dell Precision M6800 Laptop

Intel Core i7-4930MX @ 3.2GHz

32GB RAM

Windows 7 x64

NVidia Quadro K5100M 8GB RAM @ 1920x1080 (Drivers are 332.21)

256GB Toshiba THNSNJ256GCST SSD Drive

Mastercam X7 MU1

This is the first test out of the box. I figure I'll be able to squeeze some more once I get it tuned up a bit.

2:48.825 (2 minutes 48.825 seconds)

post-46432-0-19123000-1390638534_thumb.jpg

Respectable...

All tolerances were set to .0001 and this is the NEW benchmark file. I'm guessing I could break the 30second barrier with this new rig with the old benchmark. Anyone know where that one is?

I'll have to test tomorrow.

Foghorn, excellent system you will love it. You already have the system but be aware you can actually run the faster 1600 ram and have faster times as well. I assume your running 32 at 1333. I just upgraded my M6600 to 20gb of 1600, and I believe I could still go higher, maybe even to 32. Dell states 16 at 1600 or 32 at 1333, which is not true, and my rig is much faster than before on the 1333. Just my 2c, enjoy the new laptop and sorry for the loss of the old.

I'd have to check the memory's speed. It's pretty darn quick though. I've got a little tuning to do on the graphics. While in MC, there's some latent images when I move dialog boxes around. Gotta get CAMplete loaded next and see how that performs.

• 3 weeks later...

Aarrrrgh, I've tossed an SSD into my system and it has made next to no difference to my total processing time on the new benchmark file!

My system is a Sony Vaio VPCEJ2B1E laptop.

Dual Core Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz

6gb ram PC3 10600. (DDR3)

Nvidia Geforce 410m 512mb

WIndows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Now it has been running with a 500gb Seagate Momentus (non-hybrid) 5400 rpm drive. A typical time for this setup is 14 minutes

I replaced that with a Crucial M4 CT128 SSD, installed Windows from scratch (gave it a day or so to install all the updates/patches). Now after several runs, the quickest time I've had was only 30 seconds faster than with the HDD. I've installed the latest Crucial firmware as well as the Intel Chipset drivers for the motherboard.

I have made the comparisions using X6 MU3 on both disks.

It's really odd because in terms of system boot up/shutdown and general performance the SSD is clearly making the whole computer operate a lot quicker... but the performance increase doesn't show up in the benchmark. Anyone got an idea on what the bottleneck could be?

Aarrrrgh, I've tossed an SSD into my system and it has made next to no difference to my total processing time on the new benchmark file!

My system is a Sony Vaio VPCEJ2B1E laptop.

Dual Core Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

6gb ram PC3 10600. (DDR3)

Nvidia Geforce 410m 512mb

WIndows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

Now it has been running with a 500gb Seagate Momentus (non-hybrid) 5400 rpm drive. A typical time for this setup is 14 minutes

I replaced that with a Crucial M4 CT128 SSD, installed Windows from scratch (gave it a day or so to install all the updates/patches). Now after several runs, the quickest time I've had was only 30 seconds faster than with the HDD. I've installed the latest Crucial firmware as well as the Intel Chipset drivers for the motherboard.

I have made the comparisions using X6 MU3 on both disks.

It's really odd because in terms of system boot up/shutdown and general performance the SSD is clearly making the whole computer operate a lot quicker... but the performance increase doesn't show up in the benchmark. Anyone got an idea on what the bottleneck could be?

cpu?

Thanks goooose and jeff, well I've since ran the file with the task manager showing and whether it's using one (logical) core or all four they are always pegged, so I suppose it's the CPU that's the limiting factor. Not sure if the GPU would have a effect on calculation time though... possibly as it hasn't got much onboard ram to play with. Food for thought :)

Rich,

SSD is not going to speed it up much at all like you stated you got about 30 sec off. the SSD does help with the performance of the computer and MC.

But CPU and Ram are the key players. I also agree that Cache makes a difference to.

I would for sure update that laptop and not buy another over priced sony one. I have always seen them as being over priced and underpowered for there cost.