Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wear vs. Control Comp

David Perron

Hello all. I am kind of new to this whole mastercam thing and one thig i was told was that wear comp is better to use then control. I am starting to use wear and i like it, but i am getting some resistence from the floor. The Mnfg. supervisor wants me to give him some good reasons that we should start using wear. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks to Spade from another thread

some good reasoning

good luck wink.gif

quote: Put eight monkeys in a room. In the middle of the room is a ladder, leading to a bunch of bananas hanging from a hook on the ceiling. Each time a monkey tries to climb the ladder, all the monkeys are sprayed with ice water, which makes them miserable.

Soon enough, whenever a monkey attempts to climb the ladder, all of the other monkeys, not wanting to be sprayed, set upon him and beat him up. Soon, none of the eight monkeys ever attempts to climb the ladder.

One of the original monkeys is then removed, and a new monkey is put in the room. Seeing the bananas and the ladder, he wonders why none of the other monkeys are doing the obvious. But undaunted, he immediately begins to climb the ladder. All the other monkeys fall upon him and beat him silly. He has no idea why. However, he no longer attempts to climb the ladder.

A second original monkey is removed and replaced. The newcomer again attempts to climb the ladder, but all the other monkeys hammer the crap out of him. This includes the previous new monkey, who, grateful that he’s not on the receiving end this time, participates in the beating because all the other monkeys are doing it. However, he has no idea why he’s attacking the new monkey.

One by one, all the original monkeys are replaced. Eight new monkeys are now in the room. None of them have ever been sprayed by ice water. None of them attempt to climb the ladder. All of them will enthusiastically beat up any new monkey who tries, without having any idea why.

This is how any company’s policies get established.

One good reason.

When adjusting wear comp you are usually adding or subtracting a few thou from the basic setting of zero. More difficult to create a large error.

If you are using half the cutter Dia. and screw up the comp change may be great enough to scrap the part.

The tool path generally runs better with fewer comp problems with wear.

My 2c

Doug

control is just an old throw back when we use to hand code before we had a tape punch, it was easier to take dimensions from print and write the code.

today with cam packages there is no reason not to use wear, (even in my opinion on prototype) there is less chance of scrapping parts and if you are doing 3d you cant read the code as it scrolls on the display anyway. is it really your boss or the guys on the shop floor whinning about it.

its simple wear is safer and less chance of screwing up.

If you have old jobs that use comp control put out you setup sheets for wear in a diffrent color folder so they know its wear.

just my opinion

control was easier for manual programming.

However, shop routines are not changed easily. they could have scrapped many parts in days past for many reasons.

i know a shop that still uses center comp for all cnc operations. also the head programmer still uses ver 6. not what i would do but they don't scrap many parts. they have used the same methods for at least 20 years and would probably fire someone for comping to the tip.

If you use regrinds, make parts that require you to adjust your code to hold part size, you need to use wear.

Otherwise use control.

I use control....

I only do large scale 3-d dies that +/- a couple is good enough..

I use only new tools and inserts without any adjustments...

IMO, it's all about what type of work one does.

A 20 buck YG is not worth my time to send to the regrinders and then over to have the coating sprayed back on....

just be glad you have it (comp) smile.gif

the very first nc machine I programmed and ran back in 1980 didnt have comp, an Acramatic 2100. I had to trig out the path and then trig out the cutter offset. when the endmill got dull, you reprogrammed it.... on a teletype with paper tape

Well Brain fart once again...

I dont use comp in the control...never have bonk.gif

I ALWAYS use comp in the Puter....

DOH!!!!!

I never use comp in the CONTROL.....

When you guys talk about wear vs control...somehow I got it stuck in meh head that you were talking about either using CC at the machine tool or using the puter to input your tool size.

since I have my puter a few feet away from my machine tool, I don't even bother with CC.

It is just as fast to change the tool size in MC and zap another file to the control...

Been doing it that way for 15 years...

Sorry guys...

Sometimes I feel like I got no brain cells left at all...

I will go back to my corner now...

Murlin teh dunce...

control comp is only for people who cannot get out of the 70's,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wrong statement .

Every one of them has strong points .

I prefer control

This argument is a waste of time ,It was covered

pretty well before

John.

I hate wear compensation and I am only 47