Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Mitsubishi AJX high feed tools

cobra95kev

Due to what I have read in this forum I have decided to try one of these tools. I have 2" coming sometime tomorrow. I think I have an ideal application for a high feed tool.

I have a chunk of 15-5 annealed it is 15x10x4 inches I have it clamped in an 8" KURT vise on a tombstone on a OKUMA H60 50 taper horizontal and my stickout only has to be about 3" so rigidity is not going to be a problem.

So far the last couple of days I have been trying an ISCAR feedmill with mixed results. I am using the HS core roughing routine and keeping my passes between about 1.0 to 1.5 wide. The ISCAR definitely does not like to hang off of the stock very well. I have adjusted the toolpath to avoid this as much as possible. With the iscar I am running 350SFM and a .060FPT at .06DOC and I am only getting about 10 minutes before having to index the inserts due to some fairly severe notch wear, one thing is for sure when the inserts go they go fast and you have to be right on top of it the whole time. What I am hoping to get to is 30 minutes of run time per insert edge. That will get me through roughing one whole part. From all of ISCARs literature 30 minutes seem reasonable?

When I talked to the Mits rep he mentioned off the top of his head .035 to .045 DOC at like 300SFM. I know from what I have read here the Mits reps tend to be a little conservative. I guess what my question is, have any of you had experience running the mits on Stainless Annealed?

I am running XMR2

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Kevin C. smile.gif

Yeah we have tried to different types,

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me right now but one was a WOCT in the 928 grade

and the other was a WOMT in 908 grade I think.

No we are not cutting dry. We did try but the rep noticed the chips trying to stick to the inserts so we turned the coolant on.

Kevin C.

I have used the Iscar feedmills and have to say that they are very aggressive on the spindle. Switch to a Seco feedmill and you won't be disappointed. We can run a 3/4 two-insert feedmill at 4000 rpm, .015 doc 50% stepover at 300 ipm for hours in cut. That's right , hours. We have used it on P20, 4140, SS420, H13, and even high chrome materials which give a little more wear. They have a few different grades of carbide for different materials, but this tool rocks.

You want to take about an 1.8" step over any less and insert life goes down. If it chips an insert you will hear it. Inserts are cheap rotate them at start of a long cut. You can't tell if they are dull buy looking at them. Like TR said use the book settings for best results. If you are using coolant make sure you flood it well and have a good vacuum system to remove the steam. Air blast works best.

It's been about a year since I last used a feed mill, but @ my previous place of employment we have done a lot of testing on a lot of different brands of "feed mills" in their early development stages... Iscar, Sandvik, Seco, Ingersoll feedmills are not even in the same league as Mitsubishi when it comes to cutting stainless (in the right application)...

I just did a search on the forum to refresh myself on the speeds & feeds... We had no problem running the inserts (VP15TF) for over 60 minutes prior to indexing. Air is nice, but not necessary on the horizontal... Have as much of the cutter engaged as possible. Machine from the outside-in. HTH

Material - 420ss

Cutter - 2.5" Mitsubish AJX

Speed - 856 rpm (560sfm)

Feed - 154 IPM (.060" fpt)

DOC - .040"

Material - 420ss

Cutter - 1.5" Mitsubish AJX

Speed - 1426 rpm (560sfm)

Feed - 256 IPM (.060" fpt)

DOC - .040"

We use Seco 2 1/2" feed mills on H13 45 Rc everyday.

One important thing to note is DOC. You stated a 0.06 DOC. We tend to see a severe decrease in insert life with a heavy DOC. The small radii on the insert corners tend to break out and then it is a quick death from there.

Try lightening it up to .03-.04 and I think you will see much better performance.

We're currently running a Seco feed mill in 304SS. The Mitsubishi feed mill was going through the inserts too quickly so we decided to try something else.

My machinist tells me the positive rake on the Seco cuts much more cleanly than the mitsubishi.

Thanks for all of the input guys,

It sounds like maybe I need to let up on my DOC a little and keep my stepovers larger. If I don't get good results with the Mitsubishi I will look in to trying the SECO brand. I have used some SECO wheel cutters before and I was impressed.

Thanks again,

Kevin C.

We like the Iscar feedmills here, we tried Stellram & Hitachi also - not seco or the others though.

We do tend to run the shallower DOC in Stainless & titanium (.03-.04). The pos WOCT inserts on stainless. We have a 17-4 35rc part we run a 1.0 feedmill at 1220 rpm & feed 120. The inserts last apx. 30-40 min. they do last longer with air blast but everything is hot so we use thru spindle coolant. The mills definatly work better with 90-100% stepover. toollife is drastically reduced when not taking a full width cut.

at the moment I'm cutting a xxxx 6al4v part with a Iscar 1.0 woct 928 954 rpm 114.5 feed .03 doc. its a contour type pass .2-1.0 width of cut. the inserts last apx 16min (1 part) they may be able to last longer, but not 32 min so they get rotated.

Our Ingersoll rep recently gave us a new high feed 2in shell mill to try. I ran it with the same

feeds and speed as our Mits AJX cutters and it did real well. I think we'll see better insert life with the Ingersol cutter.

The Ingersoll inserts are also double sided so you get 6 edges per insert instead of 3

Cobra, we're running 451 sfm, 117 ipm,.05 dp. in either 15-5 or 17-4, don't remember. Cutter is the 1.5" version of your Iscar, in a 40 taper vertical. Have you talked to James or Matt, they seem to be pretty good with that tool. Matt is the Iscar rep that originally set us up with the tool, but has since moved to turning.

One more thought ..hitachi has a brand new line out of feedmills. smaller inserts, for example , we have a 1" feed mill with 4 inserts. It is outperforming our iscar ,sandvik, and mitsu.works really well in interrupted cuts also. Our 3" sandvik feed mill really hauls as well . better than iscar

Well,

I have tried the Mits and the Iscar now and I am getting similar results with both of them. The Iscar inserts seem to actually last a little longer, about 10 to 12 minutes VS 7 to 9 minutes for the Mits.

The Mits inserts I have used are

ZDSR-JM IN THE VP30RT GRADE

ZDSR-ST IN THE VP15TF GRADE

and the ISCAR

WOMT 908 GRADE

WOCT 928 GRADE

I am getting pretty fast notchware on all of them. I am getting pretty sure now that it must be something with my toolpath. If anyone wants feel free to have a look at it. I put it on the FTP site under MCX_MR2_and_earlier files.

It is named

FEEDMILL KEVIN.MCX

It is the core roughing operation #4

Thanks

Kevin C. smile.gif