Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Breaking News!!!!!

gcode

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Only 3d paths?

quote:

Only to start Bruce, yes

Where does it say anything about only 3d? Here's a quote from the link. EDIT:I'm only interested in non-SolidWorks products here.

quote:

Feature-Based Machining (FBM)

Mastercam’s new Feature-Based Machining automates the machining process. This offers shops dramatic speed improvements and allows for great reductions in programming time. Mastercam’s FBM will automatically evaluate the part and program pockets, contours, bosses, and drilling routines with minimal user input.
New users to Mastercam will be machining 2D solid parts sooner thanks to FBM's ease of use and short learning curve.

Thad

quote:

So, will this open the door for "history" between the cad system(inventor), and Mastercam?

No... the FBM in Mastercam will not access the history tree from any other CAD system.

The new product, Mastercamin SolidWorks will have

access (and I assume complete associativity)

with the SolidWorks history tree because

it will run inside SW.

quote:

Other options (Multi-axis, Lathe, etc) to follow based on market demand.

Gary,

Record one vote for multi-axis to start that 'market demand' ball rolling. biggrin.gif

I'm sure the lathe guys will chime in too! wink.gif

If I'm to convince management to even consider this for our needs, it must have multi-axis capability! biggrin.gif

:end begging and pleading: wink.gif

quote:

FBM will run inside Mastercam.

I'm sure it will work on any solid, created

in Mastercam or imported from Inventor or SolidWorks.

Mastercam in SolidWorks is an entirely new and seprate product. It will run INSIDE SolidWorks

and is designed to comptete with SolidCam/Camworks/HSMWorks

Don't forget about trying to compete with Open Mind's hyperMILL/SolidWorks integrated product. I'm along time Mastercam User and have been using X since the release of alpha (I've put it through the paces) and I've recently recieved training in the new hyperMILL/SolidWorks integrated product all I can say is Nice Work Open Mind and CNC Software really has their work cut out for themselves.

I urge anyone that is considering SolidWorks Integrated CAM Product to take a serious look at hyperMILL (Don't let the name fool you, Mill/Turn is an option). This is not a true competion!

Keith

Solid Code Solutions

Hypermill is good stuff but VERY expensive

and very few US dealers.

I worked at ashop that had a 5X seat of Hypermill.

They had $100K invested in it and STILL didn't have a full seat. I suspect Hypermill in SolidWorks is pricey as well.

HSMWorks also has a nice CAM in SOlidWorks system.

reasonalbly priced too.

Hey Gcode,

I agree once you get into the specialty 5 axes modules the price get start going up pretty quick, but the main stream 2.5D, 3D and regular 5axes modules are competitive and in some cases priced very competitive to others.

I've ran them all, meaning SolidWorks Gold Partner CAM products as well as Mastercam, and worked for In-House Solutions for a couple of years out here on the West Coast.

The existing CAM products have hyped up the Solidworks integration market to a frenzy, but no one could deliver a good full featured CAM product. That is until now!

SolidCAM's phenomenal growth is what everyone including investors are watching. To not jump into that market when you're the encumbant is risking missing the boat.

A long time ago the Railroad companies used to rule the contintent, until trucking started picking up speed, pretty soon trucking was moving more freight than the Railroads and they almost went broke. What the Railroad companies hadn't realised was they were in the "transportation" business, not the "railroad" business, they didn't adapt to the market and it almost sunk them.

I recently went through the evaluation cycle trying to pick the best CAM that would work along side my Solidworks and lamented the fact that there was no decent CAM plug-in for Solidworks. It irritates the heck out of me that I needed to learn two drafting systems, when all I wanted was best of breed CAD/CAM, discrete and integrated.

In fact I believe the old argument that you need separate CAD for the engineering office and shop floor starts to wain when you think about Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) with a tightly integrated and competitively priced product.

Jay