Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I'd Like Mastercam To Allow Me To:

NeilJ

Copy and paste / drag chains or drill points into a machining operation before I define what that machining operation will be or anything else about the machining operation.

Change a contour operation to a pocketing operation.

Attach an shaded axis gnomon to a part and drag the part with precision in the X, Y or Z axis. I'd also like Mastercam to allow me to rotate the part in this manner.

Have a tab in the Machining Operations Manager for Levels so that I can dock it there. I'd also like to be able to undock the Levels Manager so I can move it to a second monitor.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit a hot key and go step by step in Verify like you can in Backplot.

Dynamically interact with the WCS gnomon.

Dynamically change the chaining direction and chaining side.

Dynamically change the start point of a chain without the need for a dialog box.

Have thick shaded chaining arrows and WCS axis gnomons.

Have tabs for Entity Attributes, Verify and Backplot in the Machining Operation Manager with the same dock and undock functionality as the Level Manager I described earlier.

"how about Grafical toolpath editing"

I believe I read where management of this forum politely requested that toolpath editing be kept in a separate thread. I can't see any reason to not honor what seems like a reasonable request. Can you? While it hasn't been stated perhaps this also might apply to Techsoft 3D HOOPS.

If I were using STL files heavily (and I'm not right now) I'd want to know if Techsoft 3D HOOPS could dramatically increase Mastercam Verify's performance.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Change a contour operation to a pocketing operation

It's been given a request #.

quote:

...I can't see any reason to not honor what seems like a reasonable request...

Back on your meds again Jon? Why all the sudden do you want to be reasonable? Were the Forum gods going to revoke your privilages again???

Hey guys,

I know there is a lot of bad blood going around. Lets put this aside and keep it off of Emastercam for everyone's sake.

Jon has been making some reasonable requests and suggestions, in a non-inflamatory way, and I can respect that.

As long as he is requesting these features through the proper channels (like emailing [email protected]) and not trying to make personal remarks, I think we should also be reasonable and respectful.

This is a great community when everyone gets along. Fighting does none of us any good and helps no one, and helping fellow Mastercam users is what this forum was intended to do (at least I hope so).

Like James has mentioned, some of your ideas are actually quite good from a functionality standpoint, and many are under consideration by CNC. Unfortunatly, like any company, CNC Software has to create a list of priority tasks for each development team, and integrate all of the different teams together into a single unit, that puts out a relatively nice software package when all is said and done.

Some of the requests I made YEARS ago have finally some to be included in the software. This is very gratifying after waiting so long.

Other requests I've made haven't been implemented, were implemented suprisingly quickly, or were made obsolete by newer functionality.

To give you an example of some things I've personally asked for and are being discussed:

Make all the dialog boxes in the Mastercam interface modeless, so you manipulate the graphics view, measure the model, select data points to be entered into a data entry fields no matter which dialog box is open.

Add Backplot, Verify, regenerate, and posting function buttons to the toolpath dialog box, so that you can make parameter changes, regen the toolpath, and go right into Backplot and verify without ever having to close the toolpath dialog box.

Jon, have you seen the new Highspeed 2D toolpath interface for X3? Mastercam has added some really nice features for the new high speed toolpaths that work with 2D wireframe. The interface is actually pretty nice, and like the other 3D high speed toolpaths, you can copy an operation and switch the toolpath type on the fly, or switch the type of an existing highspeed toolpath.. We've requested that this tree style format be incorporated into all legacy toolpaths.

I like your idea of being able to dynamically modify the chains of an existing toolpath without having to open up the chain manager, that would be pretty cool, and do-able I think.

I've also been thinking about creating a custom Chook that would allow you to do some advanced graphical editing (oh no, did I say that? Yes, I did) to existing toolpaths.

For example I'm thinking of a new custom toolpath type that could be added to the operations manager, much like a transform toolpath is now. It would reference a normal Mastercam operation and ghost that original operation, and include some of the features of the current Toolpath Editor, while adding new functionality like color codes in the NCI line display to indicate feedrate, the ability to manually extend, trim, and fillet the toolpath, ect.

I don't think associativity is possible, at least for the first few versions, but it should significantly improve the editing capabilities.

I'm also thinking it would be possible to add some macro functionality, that would allow you to create, cut, copy, and paste sections of NCI code as geometry, and provide some linking strageties to append the new toolpath motion into your new toolpath. Nothing too fancy, just easy ways to generate zig-zag, and other pocket or contour style motion through a couple functions. When added, it would append this new toolpath section into the NCI code.

I think there could also be some linking strageties similar to the 'approach' and 'retract' options in the reference points that could be included, but with far more options like having multiple choices available and adding several strageties together.

I won't call it 'The Graphical Toolpath Editor' though, too much controversey with that phrase.

I'm thinking something like 'EditNCI'.

Another thing I've requested is a new function called 'vector line' that would give you a dialog box that would let you easily create 5 axis vector control lines without having to constantly swich your planes around. Ever try to create a vertical line that goes straight up in Z, but has the same XY in the top construction plane? You have to switch to Front or Right. Trying to find the angle of the line relative to the front plane, and the right side plane? You have to switch your planes twice... It would be nice to have the vector line be live and show you the angles relative to the Top, Front, and Right side, and allow you to select existing vector lines and edit them on the fly.

I did also read some of the posts on your blog, and I do agree with some of your suggestions about training materials, and new tutorials that are more comprehensive, and also include some thought and training on the work holding/manufacturing engineering side of things. These are aspects that are overlooked in many training manuals.

I too taught Mastercam at the College level for several quarters and had some of the same complaints as you and others do about the content in most of the commercially available training manuals. One of the things I sorely miss is the Version 9 Mill Training guide that was provided free with V9 to Mastercam users. It had some great tutorials that covered more details on toolpaths, some fixturing information, and a little bit of the "why" you are doing something, not just, press this button, now enter this number, now set your dialog box settings to match the picture...

JM2¢

Ron does also have some good points about using operation libraries to import operations with their geometry already created.

I too do this for features I want to repeat like tapped holes, Contours with certain parameters/tools that are already setup.

You can create empty toolpaths for some operation types without having geometry selected, modify parameters, and go add the geometry or drag and drop it from another operation. I do this often with surface finish contour toolpaths after I've already run a surface rough pocket. When the surface selection dialog box appears, I just hit the green check mark and start filling in my parameters.

Ever find that once you've created an operation and set the speeds and feeds, Mastercam changes them if you have to switch tool type? This is something that drove us crazy, and so we requested the 'user defined' option on the tool settings page. This will lock the speed and feed parameters for all operations, even when pulling in a new tool. That is another exampe of a request I've made that was actually implemented...

"How would you control the functions if not using a dialog box of some type?"

Same way you change the start point... you drag it where you want. No right click menu is necessary.

"You can change direction with right click now Jon so what is the problem with that???"

No reason to use the right click menu. Mastercam could display a symbol with arrows on it. Click the side and direction you want.

"Again dynamic is just another word for Graphical Jon."

CNC Software seems to prefer the word dynamic.

"Did you ever get around to messing with that lead in and out function?"

Used it today to keep the tool further away so as not to plunge into the stock on a contour toolpath.

"... that many people over look and do not realize is inside of the pocket toolpaths. I use it all the time to ramp to the floor of pockets where I do not want my tool to rub the bottom floor expect for finishing. I also use this ramp to ramp into and out of cuts especially when going into a closed shapes. Very Very powerful, and if you have only messed around with it I would recommend you spend about 2 week really learning it for it does so very good things."

If many people are overlooking it, it sounds like a good subject for video. Have not seen anyone really cover this yet on video. Jayson Kramer seems to really like video to convey what he feels is important, Mike Mattera seems to really like video to teach Mastercam, Derek Goodwin seems to really like video to teach Mastercam. Would I do better reading Ron Branch's words on how to machine something or would I do better watching Ron Branch? If your goal is to reach as many people as possible and convey difficult concepts are words better than seeing how someone does something? The reason someone like you who has a lot to say and who likes to teach doesn't use video is?

"Ron does also have some good points about using operation libraries to import operations with their geometry already created."

I save out operation libraries all the time. I don't save them with geometry.

"Ever find that once you've created an operation and set the speeds and feeds, Mastercam changes them if you have to switch tool type?"

Yes. I really hate this.

"This is something that drove us crazy, and so we requested the 'user defined' option on the tool settings page. This will lock the speed and feed parameters for all operations, even when pulling in a new tool. That is another exampe of a request I've made that was actually implemented...

I've never used this. Not really sure how it works if I want to change tools and not have my settings change from what I previously entered.

"some of your ideas are actually quite good from a functionality standpoint"

I don't really think it's important whose idea it is. I think it's all about adding functionality that will make Mastercam much more enjoyable and much more productive to use for many users / me.

"Make all the dialog boxes in the Mastercam interface modeless, so you manipulate the graphics view, measure the model, select data points to be entered into a data entry fields no matter which dialog box is open."

I dislike modal anything. I'd also like to add that many dialog boxes can be removed if better use is made of the Machining Operations Manager.

"Add Backplot, Verify, regenerate, and posting function buttons to the toolpath dialog box, so that you can make parameter changes, regen the toolpath, and go right into Backplot and verify without ever having to close the toolpath dialog box."

Strongly agree with your suggestion!

"Jon, have you seen the new Highspeed 2D toolpath interface for X3?"

Yes. It's definitely better than what exists now for 2D toolpath but it could be made much better. I'd be happy to provide specifics.

"We've requested that this tree style format be incorporated into all legacy toolpaths."

I can certainly understand why. I can't think of anything to say about this that would be productive so I'll just leave it at that.

"I like your idea of being able to dynamically modify the chains of an existing toolpath without having to open up the chain manager, that would be pretty cool, and do-able I think."

It's all about the functionality for me. I could careless if it's my idea, a stolen idea, someone else's idea or an idea from someone I really dislike. Your focus on non-modal is a direction I strongly support.

"I've also been thinking about creating a custom Chook that would allow you to do some advanced graphical editing (oh no, did I say that? Yes, I did) to existing toolpaths."

Not a subject I can be objective about. I know I want it. I know why I want it. I know how valuable it is. I don't believe a CAM system is capable of anticipating or handling every machining condition one might run into. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

"I don't think associativity is possible, at least for the first few versions, but it should significantly improve the editing capabilities."

I agree that associativity would be very hard to pull off. I don't know of any CAM system that has pulled it off. Do I think associativity is really that important? No, I don't. It would be nice to have but in the general scheme of things it's not a big deal to me. When you use Mastercam's toolpath editor now your changes are lost if you regenerate the toolpath.

"I did also read some of the posts on your blog, and I do agree with some of your suggestions about training materials, and new tutorials that are more comprehensive, and also include some thought and training on the work holding/manufacturing engineering side of things. These are aspects that are overlooked in many training manuals."

Thanks for taking the time to really read what I wrote. I put a great deal of effort into it and as time goes on I will add more. It means a lot to me that you took the time to really read it and get where I'm coming from.

Much of what Ron Branch says to me doesn't click because I need to see it. Same applies to a good deal of important stuff that you have written. If I can't see it I often can't visualize it and / or understand how to use it.

"How can you copy things from one operation to be put someone else if you have not come up with something from the beginning to put it in."

Seems to me that a concept of a machining container could be created which held parts for a machining operation.

"You pick one point to make the operation and then when you replace that one point goes away and the 100 or 10,000 points come in and life is good."

That's exactly what I do now and I think it's the wrong approach and is a workaround for a system limitation.

"I know you want it all done for you"

Anytime I have to create something and then immediately replace it / delete it just to get the CAM system to do something very basic means to me that the CAM system has limitations. These limitations slow me down and make programming a hassle for me.

"but some of the best things in Mastercam require a little work one time, then once you got it done then it is a few clicks and life is easy from that point"

You may enjoy this. I find it to be a time waster and I also find it disrupts my thought process.

quote:

I am lazy, I demand voice activated functions, and I would like to say create line, point, copy, etc; and MC will respond. No more mouse clicks, Please incorporate it in X3 MR1?

Then you can bang your head on the key board to

graphically edit your toolpath.

quote:

For me if someone offended somebody in the other internet place he needs to be responsible for it everywhere .

I am not the moderator .

And I am not pretending NeilJ is one person and JB is some other.

Gotta agree with winnie on this one boys.

All in time, neva fails.

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am lazy, I demand voice activated functions, and I would like to say create line, point, copy, etc; and MC will respond. No more mouse clicks, Please incorporate it in X3 MR1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

forget about voice activated, why can't MC read my mind and just do what I'm thinking before I even say it.

Ron, It's clear you require me to learn your way / the way you learned. That doesn't work for me. I wouldn't want you to waste your time. Thanks for the help in the past and I hope you understand I need to move on to a source that understands how I learn and can provide me with the visual presentation I often need to really grasp the subject matter.

Crazy - You lost me at "Something"....

Could you please record that and post to you tube? headscratch.gif

Seriously, watching and reading is a very slow learning method. Period. Repetition is key.

I had a calc professor tell me that "it takes an average of nine repetitions to learn any given task".

Not quite sure where he got that info, but he was pretty adamant about it...

That, and the dude knew Leibnizian and Newtonian calculus like it was addition.... eek.gif

I just thought of a great toolpath enhancement.

Allowing high speed Horizontal to do rest paths with over lapping (for ball or end cutters).

It would be extremely useful when your surface models 'flats'' are interrupted with core island with different size rads.

When your smallest Endmill cant finish a pocket because the island radii are too close, this would be a time saving solution.

Rick

"When you went to school..."

I had to walk ten miles up hill to school each way 7 days a week. I got tired of this and skipped most Sundays. If I had a teacher that really understood learning and had said:

"watching and reading is a very slow learning method. Period. Repetition is key. I had a calc professor tell me that "it takes an average of nine repetitions to learn any given task".

Not quite sure where he got that info, but he was pretty adamant about it..."

then I would have been there early and stayed late on Sunday.