Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Remeber this X-Sucks!!!!

Jayson Kramer

quote:

I have autocursor override setup on right click

Me too.

No I do not miss the point I just never did it the way you did it in earlier versions. It use to drive me crazy not being able to use the mouse more. In that regard I like X. I think of the live levels manager, the undo and the speed at which you change colors, level and attributes of entities in X verses 9 would never have me go back to 9. Send an email to QC at Mastercam and if enough people ask for something verses just complaining about it they will listen trust me on that on.

quote:

All the customization options work as intended, so therefore (IMO) they are not work arounds. By your definition, buying a space pilot is a work around.

Usually to me a work around is something within the current system you have, that you find does what you want...without buying something else. So no...sorry...spacemouse is an enhancement.

Anyway, I dont really refer to the shortcuts as work arounds (to me they just classify as such), they are part of the toolbox and intended to give options. They are there IMO largely because the version X isn't very streamlined, and the re write had holes to fill. I like options, but to many = bloatware and confusion and slowdowns.

quote:

David, I didn't realise you were with DMG/Mori Seiki. I was at you office on Tuesday. There were three of us from Hamilton Jet, in New Zealand. I was the guy with glasses

We deal with Peter Knox every now and then. He took us out to Anka and Mette

If I had know that was you there, I would have said hello. It looked like you were working on a post, or something, in some other software?

Hi Mick

Yeh after you guys left Peter said "I should have introduced you guys".

He speaks highly of you, suk suk cheers.gif

I was working on Esprit Shhhhhhhhh wink.gif

:flame suit on: biggrin.gif

So what does that tell you when you have to customize the heck out of a new version just to get back up to speed with the older version? headscratch.gif Like someone said earlier, try sitting down at someone else's work station, or even worse at a job interview under pressure. V9 anyone could sit down at any seat and with little loss in speed.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the functionality and features of the latest versions, but I think CNC could have had a dynamite interface if they had left more keystroke functionality... WHITH OUT THE DANG ALT KEY! For some reason when my left hand is in standard qwerty typing position, the Alt is a pain to reach. Just venting. Like I said before, I just need to map another button somewhere I can hit easier, and then re- learn my kestrokes.

quote:

So what does that tell you when you have to customize the heck out of a new version just to get back up to speed with the older version?

It tells me they are getting more in line with software like Unigraphics and Solidworks, that both offer all kinds of customization. If I'm under pressure, and have to use a seat that doesn't have "my" setup, I know every function I could need can be found under the menu bar, and explain that it would be much faster once set up to my preferences.

That is just plain crazy. Customization is not a work around. Are you telling me the toolbars in microsoft word are work arounds? The ribbon bars in the new office are work arounds?

A work around is when you are using X3(i think it was in this version) and you select "tip comp" in the drill parameters and it crashed mastercam, so to not have that happen, you make the toolpath then reenter the tip comp screen and make your changes. Thats a work around. Customization rocks!

quote:

I think CNC could have had a dynamite interface if they had left more keystroke functionality

One nice thing Autodesk did when they went to the Windows interface was leave the command line stuff alone; to this day I have no idea WTF 90% of the toolbars do because I still just type everything like I did in 1988

• Like 1

What I see is just like when we released MC-X was there was a fight from some because of change.

There needed to be change and a big one.

Here we are 5 years into it and some still want to go back.

Sorry all but welcome to progress and moving forward.

I will say as a LOOONNNG time user it was a hard at first to make the change but as a dealer I had to.

But I say now I HATE going back to V9 for anything as I feel how outdated and cumbersome it is to use this days.

OK JM2C

With the release of X5 this fall, V9 will

be a dead release.

Its already 2 OS's behind and won't even run

on Win7.. though I've heard it's possible with

a nethasp.

I put a Quadro FX-1800 in one of our XP boxes last

month and V9 wouldn't even run properly on that.

We're in the proccess of upgrading to new

6 core Xeon's running Win7x64... which means

V9 is dead in this shop.

Every once in a while I have to do some work

on our old V9/Verisurf box.. and I can't tell

you how primitive V9 seems to me now.

We'll keep one old XP/V9 workstation around

just in case. I haven't used V9 since 2005

and our other programmer left it behind at X4.

When I talked to him about new Win7x64 boxes and

V9 being dead for good he said "Sweet" biggrin.gif

For the old V9 diehards.. CNC Software is running

a really sweet V9 to X5 upgrade sale right now.

Check it out.. before its too late biggrin.gif

quote:

One nice thing Autodesk did when they went to the Windows interface was leave the command line stuff alone; to this day I have no idea WTF 90% of the toolbars do because I still just type everything like I did in 1988

I'm having to use Autocad for one of my clients, and I'm finding the text input rather handy. Rather than look for a toolbar button and move my mouse away from where I'm working to click it, I just type the command with my left hand. A nice feature is that when I do click an icon, the command input area echos the command text so I know what to type next time.

quote:

Here we are 5 years into it and some still want to go back.

I don't think anyone is actually wanting to go back. What we're saying is that there are a couple features that seemed to work better for us in 9 than they do now, like keyboard navigation of menus. We would like to take the best parts of the old version and bring them into the new version, making the best of both worlds. For me, that would mean having the option of not needing to press ALT first (config switch), having consistent usage of ESC = cancel, ENTER = apply / OK / Done / Do it, and adding in the last few things that can't really be gotten to by keyboard alone. That shouldn't break any of the new stuff, but would let us keyboard addicts work the way that works best for us.

quote:

What we're saying is that there are a couple features that seemed to work better for us in 9 than they do now, like keyboard navigation of menus. We would like to take the best parts of the old version and bring them into the new version, making the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said, but again, this is what we are asking for. A few icons are fast but as many icons it takes to run MC becomes slow, and burns precious graphics space (another thing abandoned in X). Give us full, fast keyboard control back...please!

I would like to see better graphics support, ie, SLI and or Cuda, way better file management, the file managing database is HORRID, file size is a big PITA becasue of it, true x64 support. Those are just 3 things things that need to be address way before keystrokes. and there are MANY others

You like V9 so much, go back to it. You can always use your X4 as a shiny new translator.

As someone stated earlier, I wouldn't even consider a job running V9.

Too each their own but there are WAYYY bigger fish to fry in this package.

I must admit, I tend to do all my drawing creation in autocad because I've been using it for what seems a billion years.

Autocad has a shortcut file within it called acad.pgp.

This is a (so so very so) easy customisable file where you can set up comands like

L = Line

CP = Copy

ER = Erase

MO = Move

MI = Mirror

OF = Offset

Oh it would be good for all us cad jockeys to have this ability

cheers.gif